Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Fred Wilhelm

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:41 am

Indiana

Charlestown Pizza Co - Growing pains or bad night?

by Fred Wilhelm » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:24 pm

Some friends and I ordered takeout from Charlestown Pizza Co. the other night. While I had not been, it came highly recommended and we took the drive out to pick some up for our evening guests. Service was reasonably prompt, but it was all downhill from there.

Upon our arrival home a little while later, we took out a bag of bread bites and they dumped all over the floor. The accompanying garlic butter had been placed in the bottom of the bag. It seems that the nuclear-fired bolts of bread melted the lid off of the sauce, reducing the flimsy paper sack into a oil soaked mess. Worse yet, we were shorted the extra sauces we ordered.

Problems didn't stop there. The remaining bit of garlic butter was mainly oil with nary a taste of garlic to it. Guest who had the cheese-topped bread/toast said that it was bland as well, though I can't attest to that myself as I didn't try any at the time. And to top, (or not to top), it all off, there was even less sauce than I would prefer -- I don't require much -- and we had a missing topping and scarcity of the remaining toppings. The crust was soggy, too, though flavorful. All of us were decidedly disappointed.

I think the owner is on the site, and I hope he doesn't take offense since we will be back to try again. Every place can have a bad night, and I'm sure this was one for them. I just wondered if anyone else had had this type of experience there?

I am dimly aware of some connection the CPC has with the whole Sportstime Pizza / Richo's debacle and I really hope they don't follow in those footsteps. I kept hearing that the CPC pizza was so much better than STP and I think by some measure it was better...Of course, I think the only thing worse than STP/Richo's food is their service, their irksome and lazy management style, their fume filled dining rooms, and their most inconsistent and worst microbrew in the entire region, (nice bottle and draft line-up, though). They'd have it made if they would dismiss their stoned staff, hired some management, updated their menu, and flipped the switch on their brewery from 'Mediocre Homebrew' to 'Professional'. Just sayin'.

Again, we'll be back to Charlestown Pizza Company, this time for a dine-in experience. We think they have a great little beer selection for the area and we hope that this was just a run of bad luck for all involved. Let's pray for that they avoid the whole "sins of the father" thing, too.

cheers
no avatar
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

Re: Charlestown Pizza Co - Growing pains or bad night?

by Todd Pharris » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:44 pm

Maybe I'd take your comments seriously if not for the Al Jolson avitar.
no avatar
User

Fred Wilhelm

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:41 am

Indiana

by Fred Wilhelm » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:57 pm

Come now, do we summarily dismiss a valid point because of something so innocuous as an 'avatar'? Jolson has been clearly seen by critics as someone against racism in his time, though I wouldn't want to bore you with any silly ol' history or anything. Wouldn't you rather talk about Desperate Housewives or something?

I just hope you're not against Jolson because he was Jewish. Anti-semitism is bad, um-kay?

Now, back to the pizza talk...
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:14 pm

ok
i've responded privately to Fred and hopefully we'll correct any issues that caused distress and disappointment

as a note

please let us know immediately[u][/u] (by phone or in person is the best way) if we've made a mistake on your order, or you are not satisfied with our product
that way we can correct the issue promptly and make you happy
(and avoid any negative reviews if possible)

we at the CPC learned our craft from the folks at Sportstime/RichO's
we love and respect them for who they are and what they do
my love and knowledge of beer can be directly attributed to Roger and our philosophy of pizza has been greatly influenced by Kate & Amy

i'm sorry that Fred does not enjoy the NABC as much as the rest of us
but i find their beers to be outstanding and far from mediocre (i also know and have known all of their brewing staff past and present)
their thick crust pizza is by far the best in the area
and their service, well they do things their own way, 'nuff said

the only fume filled dining room is on the Sportstime side, so you may want to try the non-smoking section in Richo's instead
the service is usually better at RichO's also
but, i'm not trying to convince Fred to go somewhere he obviously doesn't like

hopefully we'll be able to provide a better experience for you next time Fred

thanks
shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:47 am

Fred Wilhelm wrote:Some friends and I ordered takeout from Charlestown Pizza Co. the other night. While I had not been, it came highly recommended and we took the drive out to pick some up for our evening guests. Service was reasonably prompt, but it was all downhill from there.

Upon our arrival home a little while later, we took out a bag of bread bites and they dumped all over the floor. The accompanying garlic butter had been placed in the bottom of the bag. It seems that the nuclear-fired bolts of bread melted the lid off of the sauce, reducing the flimsy paper sack into a oil soaked mess. Worse yet, we were shorted the extra sauces we ordered.

Problems didn't stop there. The remaining bit of garlic butter was mainly oil with nary a taste of garlic to it. Guest who had the cheese-topped bread/toast said that it was bland as well, though I can't attest to that myself as I didn't try any at the time. And to top, (or not to top), it all off, there was even less sauce than I would prefer -- I don't require much -- and we had a missing topping and scarcity of the remaining toppings. The crust was soggy, too, though flavorful. All of us were decidedly disappointed.

I think the owner is on the site, and I hope he doesn't take offense since we will be back to try again. Every place can have a bad night, and I'm sure this was one for them. I just wondered if anyone else had had this type of experience there?

I am dimly aware of some connection the CPC has with the whole Sportstime Pizza / Richo's debacle and I really hope they don't follow in those footsteps. I kept hearing that the CPC pizza was so much better than STP and I think by some measure it was better...Of course, I think the only thing worse than STP/Richo's food is their service, their irksome and lazy management style, their fume filled dining rooms, and their most inconsistent and worst microbrew in the entire region, (nice bottle and draft line-up, though). They'd have it made if they would dismiss their stoned staff, hired some management, updated their menu, and flipped the switch on their brewery from 'Mediocre Homebrew' to 'Professional'. Just sayin'.

Again, we'll be back to Charlestown Pizza Company, this time for a dine-in experience. We think they have a great little beer selection for the area and we hope that this was just a run of bad luck for all involved. Let's pray for that they avoid the whole "sins of the father" thing, too.

cheers

Fred,
I have to say i would attribute this to a bad night. I have been to CPC on numerous occasions. Not only is the staf delightfully knowledgeable able pizza and beer, they genuinely care about your experience. As for the food itself: The bread bites do come straight from the oven, so it isn't like the chains. If you dine in, the bites are light and hot. There are many sauce options other than just the garlic sauce. But for the oily comment? All galic sauce including Papa John's is a liquid margarine flavored with garlic. Once heated it will turn to oil. Try the beer cheese, it's outstanding!
Once you give CPC the second chance, try to eat at CPC. Give them a chance to show their stuff. Lots of things can happen in transport including errors we make ourselves. I am a devout fan of CPC and have fortunately never experienced the challenges you have described.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:34 am

While hyperbole has become the hallmark of internet forums, I am not sure that I would make a public statement that a group of people use illegal drugs unless I had some proof. On second thought, I wouldn't even do it then.
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:46 am

Wow. So in one line of posts, Mr. Wilhelm brings up a bad experience at a restaurant (which is perfectly fine to do on here), illegal drug use and poor management, and badly brewed beer at another restaurant, then in a subsequent post brings up racism, Anti-semitism, claims Mr. Pharris is a Desperate Housewives watcher, and then wants to take the talk back to pizza. Then to top it off, when I clicked on his name, to see if he had any more information in his profile I get " The requested user does not exist" Very strange behavior.

Hmmm, is all I can say about that. Oh wait, the words Forum Troll also come to mind.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:00 am

Todd Antz wrote:when I clicked on his name, to see if he had any more information in his profile I get " The requested user does not exist" Very strange behavior.

That would be because he/she/it has been placed on involuntary hiatus. ;)
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:04 am

Robin Garr wrote: That would be because he/she/it has been placed on involuntary hiatus. ;)

I wish those Pizza Hut guys would just stay off the forum! ;)
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:06 am

Todd Antz wrote:
Robin Garr wrote: That would be because he/she/it has been placed on involuntary hiatus. ;)

I wish those Danny Mac's guys would just stay off the forum! ;)

fixed :)
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:46 am

Hmm. Welcome back, Rog. How was the weekend visit to St. Looey?

Thinking back insofar as my lazy and drug-addled brain will permit, I simply can't recall speaking with anyone named Fred Wilhelm about issues pertaining to my place of business, and I tend to agree that "Internet troll" is the best way to approach such public vandalism ... however, I'll say in all sincerity that if this gentleman would like to discuss his criticisms (and allegations) with me, I'm remarkably easy to find, either by e-mail, phone or in person.

As LBJ might have said, "come ... let us reason together."

Otherwise, I'm not going to take this one too seriously. Me thinks I smell a rat.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:29 pm

Trolling? What's wrong with trolling?? I caught a 16lb Steelhead with a 2oz. castmaster once.........Hope you had fun in St. Louis Rog!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:45 pm

David Clancy wrote:Trolling? What's wrong with trolling?? I caught a 16lb Steelhead with a 2oz. castmaster once.........Hope you had fun in St. Louis Rog!

Sure did ... from what I remember of the trip.

Dave, I need to confer with you about something. Where can you be found and when?
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:05 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
David Clancy wrote:Trolling? What's wrong with trolling?? I caught a 16lb Steelhead with a 2oz. castmaster once.........Hope you had fun in St. Louis Rog!

Sure did ... from what I remember of the trip.

Dave, I need to confer with you about something. Where can you be found and when?
I PM'd you Rog!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:34 pm

Rodger, we had a delightful meal in your establishment on Saturday; place was packed, beer was perfect, our pizza and breadsticks made the cold day bearable, our darling server (even though you were SLAMMED and she had about eight tables was delightful). What a lovely way to avoid Thunder. Thank you.
Next