Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Oakroom- found this review yesterday

by Linda C » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:00 am

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:13 am

Linda, I think those people would have been a whole lot more comfortable at a Denny's, and they would have spent less, too.

I don't really put much credibility in those national "review" sites like Trip Advisor, which are essentially non-moderated, and don't attract "foodies" or a high level of expertise.
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

Poster

by TanyaD » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:30 am

I think it's kinda funny and ironic that the person who thought everything was "over the top" has the surname "Bland."
no avatar
User

David Lange

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:11 am

Louisville

Menu Nomenclature

by David Lange » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:52 am

One thing that I noticed in that review was the confusion that the diner had with the food description that was found on the menu. I recently had a discussion with 3 chefs about how sometimes certain menus go "over the top" when it comes to describing different items or entree selections.

Case in point, I came back from a week in Napa, and while there I picked up a menu from the French Laundry. (Didn't eat there, just got a menu). It was interesting how much wordage was used to describe the various dishes and how some of the items I didn't even know what they were. I certainly don't have the talent of the great chefs we have here, but usually I can recognize most ingredients. I'll share a couple with you;

Santa Barbara Coast Sea Urchin "Tongues"
"Akita Komachi"Rice, crispy Broccolini, Marcona Almonds and Meyer Lemon "Coulis"

Sauteed Fillet of Japanese "Medai"
Asian Pear, Grated Radishes, Mizuna, and Black Sesame "Vinaigrette"

"Amedi"
Toscano Black "Buche", Iced Venezuelan "Chauo",Cocoa "Tuile" and "Biscuit Negro"

I'm not downgrading any menus, but sometimes you have to have a translator on hand before you can order.
David Lange
" Life's too short to drink bad coffee"
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:02 am

I review all the time on tripadvisor and on Chowhound. However, it is lacking somewhat on restaurant reviews, but many go to great lengths to write balanced reviews. Just because these people don't appear to be "foodies" doeesn't mean that their review is not worth reading. After all, they took the time to write it and publish it. Maybe some reviewers might give a little slack to a place where they normally have a good experience or know the owners, etc.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:22 am

Linda C wrote:I review all the time on tripadvisor and on Chowhound.

Certainly your prerogative, Linda. I'd note, though, that when you go to TripAdvisor in particular, you're supporting the Internet equivalent of a corporate "chain" rather than a friendly local independent eats Website. ;)

And I really do think its basically un-moderated status makes it less than useful.

Chowhound in its original manifestation was very much like a NYC version of LouisvilleHotBytes, and I think I've mentioned here before that Jim Leff and I used to hang out together when we lived in NYC, and both got into this Internet thing in the same way and about the same time. It was a quality operation. Of course, it's gone over to the dark side now, too.

Bottom line, I hope most folks will support LouisvilleHotBytes for the same reason we support Louisville Originals: We're local, we're real, and we're honest.
no avatar
User

NWalker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:32 am

Louisville KY

by NWalker » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:51 am

I guess one of the great things about our country is the notion of equal opportunity for all. Any twit with a keyboard and an internet connection can share opinions with the rest of us, Bland included. If someone thinks our food is bad that's one thing, but posting totally inaccurate and false info is another.

Just a few examples: the salad has pineapple dressing not curry. The yams and carrots only appeared twice- once with butternut squash mezaluna as the third course of the vegetarian tasting and with the cod. We borrow elements of our regular menu to compose the veggy tasting Considering that between the two of them they were served a total of 13 plates saying that everything had yams, carrots and cream sauce is borderline comical. The mushroom entree had an asparagus sauce that cream based, but that's it. "5 different courses of curried chickpeas" is wrong. It was one. It's a shame that the reviewer didn't express his discouragement with our menu before they ordered. It's would have been very simple to leave off the golden raisins. We strive to make everyone's experience memorable and we are accomodating to special requests- perhaps we could have arranged for them to have cheeseburgers and hotdogs.

I'm sure some others will be on here to chime in where I left off...
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:51 am

Robin, I don't support any chains! However, I have a question about the moderator comment...when you write a review they read it and approve it before publishing (unlike chowhound) I've actually had a few rejected because you can't comment on another's experience, etc, so I know they check them first. I've won money and prizes on TA, that seems a good reason to keep writing.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:00 pm

Linda C wrote:I've won money and prizes on TA, that seems a good reason to keep writing.

I'm sorry, Linda, didn't mean any offense! It's just that having put this site out there in 1994, I get a little cranky when I see these national corporate "restaurant review" sites that came along later, sort of like some of our local restaurateurs probably do when they see their buddies going to Denny's.

But if you're making money, it's not up to me to tell you to stop. ;)
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:11 pm

Any description that uses " " inappropriately makes we wonder. There's a car service business that call themselves, Name "Service" company. I just have to wonder if they're providing service or "service" air quotes which have a different meaning.

For food, I must say I see no reason for quotes around coulis which to me would mean something similar to coulis, but not coulis. Same with vinaigrette.

But I will defer to our professinal writer as to whether I'm being overly sensitive about quotes. Just my pet peeve, I guess.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:26 pm

For me? I wondered what the purpose was for posting one anonymous, clearly amateurish review from a web site like travel adviser. If there were several of them, if they all noted similar complaints, I might wonder whether there was something to pay attention to. But in this case, um, no.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:22 pm

:D No time to comment..I am off to a National Chain to eat... :D
no avatar
User

todd richards

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:00 am

I do not understand but...

by todd richards » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:46 pm

As my father would say, “There is some truth in every lie.” My goal is to find what it is.

There are three issues here for us to deliberate. As always I will take them to the staff and post later. It will be a week or so because I am traveling. The first item is what do we offer (menu concept, menu writing, etc), the second is how do you judge your guest (meaning are things going well) and the third dealing with the post meal satisfaction. In those items we have sub criteria such as the pre Walter Leffler era, our AAA guidelines, how conservative our local dinners are and what other restaurants in the city might/might not be doing.

On another note, we do in some way agree that you need dictionaries to read menus. Honestly we wrestle with what we are going to tell and not tell people. If we were to go through every single ingredient, which we might be forced to by legislation, our menu would span nine to ten pages conservatively.

As far as the “” go, it is my understanding that the quotes are referring to a style of dish not the dish itself. In example the Meyer lemon coulis could never be made it to a true coulis as it does not emulsify without an added product such as cream etc. So Leah’s explanation is correct according to some people that we know who have worked at the Laundry.

I want to thank Nicole for posting in my absence.

Todd Richards

ps. Thanks for the support Robin
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

WOW

by Doogy R » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:51 pm

robert szappanos wrote::D No time to comment..I am off to a National Chain to eat... :D

I dined at Blu for breakfast this morning and will report back with that FANTASTIC dining experience. After work, I had to drive my mom down to Nashville, TN, then drive back to the Ville. I picked up some Wendy's on the way home. Was it great? NO. Did it hot the spot and was the price right. Hell yeah. Look for my review of breakfast at Blu.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:00 pm

:D I went to the New Chilis at Brownsboro Crossing. I was not a fan of this place in the past but it has been about a year since i have been to one.....vey glad i went. i had the Southwest Cedar plank Tilapia...It comes on a Cedar Plank and is topped with a chimichurri( cilantro..garlic and lime sauce) and pico de gallo. It comes with seasoned veggies and a side of rice. I skipped the rice and had some more seasoned veggies. the fish was excellent...It had a great taste and and the cedar plank gave it even more flavor. All in all it was a meal that I would go back for again and again. The best part is that it was around 10 bucks...It is a real nice place and as usual it was packed and everone seemed to be having a good time....They have really improved there menu and if my diner was and indication...they have improved there food also....Give them a try... :D :D i
Next