Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ's 3-star report finds no fault at Shady Lane

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:27 am

Marty rather belatedly gets around to Shady Lane Cafe (reviewed in LouisvilleHotBytes and The Voice-Tribune on March 30, 2007), but he makes up for lost time with a glowing 556-word review of this spot just off the Watterson at US 42, a report so consistently positive that it's hard to see why he rated it only three stars. A nice report on a comfortable, inviting little place.

Shady Lane Cafe
Comfort food with an imaginative twist

Shady Lane Cafe
4806 Brownsboro Center
(502) 893-5118
http://www.shadylanecafe.com
no avatar
User

BillAndrews

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:40 pm

Re: CJ's 3-star report finds no fault at Shady Lane

by BillAndrews » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:44 pm

Nice review of a great little spot.

Robin, pardon me if I'm missing it, but what was your ranking for Shady Lane? I didn't see it in the blurb you wrote and the restaurant is not among those ranked in the 100 point listing. Thanks.

And perhaps this should be another thread, but is Yang Kee Noodle still a 90-is pt/ 4-star dining experience?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:39 pm

BillAndrews wrote:Robin, pardon me if I'm missing it, but what was your ranking for Shady Lane? I didn't see it in the blurb you wrote and the restaurant is not among those ranked in the 100 point listing. Thanks.

Bill, I reviewed it (and, in that same article, Karem's at Norton Commons), for the Voice-Tribune, which prefers to have me not use a rating/rank system, so you have to kind of guess from the words. I would say, though, that my rating would have been in the 80s, which is equivalent to the CJ's three-star range. I liked the place quite a bit, as did Marty, although our brunch wasn't quite up to the lunch for quality. Since Marty didn't seem to have a single negative comment at all, I was surprised he didn't kick it up to 3 1/2 stars.

And perhaps this should be another thread, but is Yang Kee Noodle still a 90-is pt/ 4-star dining experience?

When Yang Kee first opened, I was blown away by its quality, and ate there about four times before reviewing it and giving it a 90-plus (4-star) rating based on very high quality food and service. Of course this kind of thing is always a moving target, but in fairly frequent re-visits I'd say I find it just as good about three-fourths of the time but a little careless the other one-fourth. Not enough to justify a re-review, although I suppose I'll get back around to try it with a blank slate one of these days.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:32 pm

WAY TO GO BILL AND SUSI!!!!!
XOXO
Heather
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:24 am

Thank you, Heather & Bill, and all our well-wishers. Go Meridian Cafe! And thank you, Dean, for coming by to congratulate Bill. It meant a lot.

And thank you, Carolyne, David & Matt for helping to make the Shady Lane happen.

And if you're out there, Marty Rosen, thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We don't know how you found us, but we're sure glad you did. You're welcome at The Shady Lane any ol' time. Your very kind article gave my husband, Bill Smith, the pat on the back he so sorely needed. It made those 12 to 14 hour days seem worthwhile.

Robin, thank you, as well, for your recent kind words. BTW, I noticed there's a directory of local restaurants, and if there's a way to have our restaurant listed among them, we'd be grateful.

To all the other Hot Bytes fans, if you haven't checked us out yet, I hope you will. We're at the corner of Brownsboro Road and Rudy Lane. If you try our Saturday breakfast, give the Brie & Pesto Omelet a spin. We make all our soups, sandwiches, salads, dinners & desserts the old-fashioned way every Tuesday through Saturday.

Susi
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:54 am

I am sure Marty is wondering what he has done to deserve this every week.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:32 am

Ron Johnson wrote:I am sure Marty is wondering what he has done to deserve this every week.

Writes about food in a public place, and thus opens his work to fair comment?
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:08 pm

Susanne Smith wrote:Thank you, Heather & Bill, and all our well-wishers. Go Meridian Cafe! And thank you, Dean, for coming by to congratulate Bill. It meant a lot.

And thank you, Carolyne, David & Matt for helping to make the Shady Lane happen.

And if you're out there, Marty Rosen, thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We don't know how you found us, but we're sure glad you did. You're welcome at The Shady Lane any ol' time. Your very kind article gave my husband, Bill Smith, the pat on the back he so sorely needed. It made those 12 to 14 hour days seem worthwhile.

Robin, thank you, as well, for your recent kind words. BTW, I noticed there's a directory of local restaurants, and if there's a way to have our restaurant listed among them, we'd be grateful.

To all the other Hot Bytes fans, if you haven't checked us out yet, I hope you will. We're at the corner of Brownsboro Road and Rudy Lane. If you try our Saturday breakfast, give the Brie & Pesto Omelet a spin. We make all our soups, sandwiches, salads, dinners & desserts the old-fashioned way every Tuesday through Saturday.

Susi

I am very excited for you all. I hope that we can do something together somtime in the future.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:25 pm

Susanne Smith wrote:Robin, thank you, as well, for your recent kind words. BTW, I noticed there's a directory of local restaurants, and if there's a way to have our restaurant listed among them, we'd be grateful.

Susanne, it's nice to see you (and, I'm sure, Bill) on the forum! A lot of us here do love Shady Lane and wish you all the best.

As for the listings, if you're referring to the Restaurants Listed by Name page on LouisvilleHotBytes.com, you are indeed on it, but it's possible this may have been a recent addition. Because it's not automated, it fell behind pretty badly after we moved the reviews onto a content management system over a year ago. Lately we've been devoting a lot of time to bringing it up to date, though, and I'm pretty sure you're there now!

The Shady Lane Website is also listed on our Restaurant Websites page, and I'm pretty sure it's been there for some time.