Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Do you support the Maker's Mark boycott? Pick as many answers as apply.

Yes, it's a great cause.
No votes
No.
29%
Don't care.
16%
Never heard of it.
28%
I will not patronize (boycott) any establishment that boycotts Maker's Mark
11%
I have, in the past, on at least one occasion, chose another bar/eatery solely because Makers Mark was boycotted
5%
I have pitched a fit in public and embarassed myself and my party because I wanted a Maker's Mark and couldn't get one
2%
I would be interested in signing a petition to have Maker's brought back to the "blue zone" (wouldn't your mom be proud that you took a stand on such an important cause)
5%
I always copy my post on this forum before hitting "submit" because sometimes I hit submit and my post disappears because my log-in timed out.
3%

Total votes : 99
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

Re: This really chaps my hide....

by Greg R. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:28 pm

Ben S wrote:..this may be related.. or may not be...

but from a business perspective.. Makers will not do anything to encourage you to carry their product. I may sound like I am chomping on Sour Grapes..but I dont apologize for it. They are the only Spirit (trust me I know you will find an exception) in that price or quality echelon that has no flex in their pricing. Their bottle cost is the same whether you buy one bottle or 10 cases. If you think it leaves a sour taste in the collective retailer/restauranteur/bar manager's mouth you are right. Almost all, (i said almost) offer some incentive to carry a higher volume of their product. With that being said, you can find a bottle of Makers on our shelves.. this is Louisville, Kentucky after all (do I push the product? i will let you guess). While I may not agree entirely with Brendan's, I support them having their own prerogative..and I am sure they have plenty of other fine bourbons, other than the redhead.

Could this also be seen as a positive? What if the reason you don't get a 10 case discount is because they are offering you the lowest margin they can (or want to) mange when you purchase 1 bottle. In other words, you are getting a 10 case discount without having to buy 10 cases. This could also be seen is putting the little guy on the same level playing field as the big guy.
no avatar
User

Broc Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: POLL: This really chaps my hide....

by Broc Smith » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:33 pm

Not for nothing but there is a Woodford Reserve Bar & Grill in the airport.

I wonder if any barbecue joints are up in arms over Maker's BBQ sauce.

Come to think of it, all the Jack Daniel's sauces at Friday's create a gray area.

It would probably behoove both sides to mend their differences in the interest of the consumer. It may not be appropriate to exclusively blame either side, but rather encourage both to put aside their differences for us, the reason both are in business in the first place.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: This really chaps my hide....

by Mark R. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:42 pm

Ben S wrote:..this may be related.. or may not be...
They are the only Spirit (trust me I know you will find an exception) in that price or quality echelon that has no flex in their pricing.

Just out of curiosity, what other bourbons do you put in the same class as Makers? I personally put them in a class with many higher priced bourbons, thus you're actually getting a bargain when you buy Makers no matter what quantity you're buying. If on the other hand you're putting it in a class based on price I can see your point to a degree.

Also, do the higher priced products, or lower priced products usually give you a discount for volume purchases?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Ben Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:21 pm

Highlands, Louisville, KY

by Ben Smith » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:43 pm

I hope you are right about that.. and if that is true.. their distributors need/should want to express that. On the flip side, it could be that they may be the most recognizable bourbon brand in the country. We have all seen their clever marketing..whether it be Billboards or Magazine Ads..great marketing. And guess what the stuff tastes pretty damn good. With that said, I will be the first to say that the bottle with its iconic red wax dripping down the side sells itself..there may be no need to offer incentive to the retailer or bar manager. And my point on price incentive was.. I make the same amount off of each bottle whether I sell 10 for them or a 1000 for them.
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:45 pm

Broc Smith wrote:Not for nothing but there is a Woodford Reserve Bar & Grill in the airport.

I wonder if any barbecue joints are up in arms over Maker's BBQ sauce.

Come to think of it, all the Jack Daniel's sauces at Friday's create a gray area.

It would probably behoove both sides to mend their differences in the interest of the consumer. It may not be appropriate to exclusively blame either side, but rather encourage both to put aside their differences for us, the reason both are in business in the first place.

I kind of get the feeling this is a one sided issue. I don't think there is anything Maker's can do, but hope these places come to their senses. I am sure they will be more than happy to sell them the booze...does anyone know anything different?
User

Ben Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ben Smith » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:47 pm

i sell 10 case of woodford.. i make enough extra to pass the savings on to the consumer.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:49 pm

Broc Smith wrote:Not for nothing but there is a Woodford Reserve Bar & Grill in the airport.

They probably don't boycott Woodford because it gives them a better discount! I think we may be getting to the real reason for the boycott. As someone mentioned earlier there's probably more behind the boycott than Makers Mark lounge!

Either that or they didn't think of it yet and soon they'll also start boycotting Woodford.

User

Ben Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ben Smith » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:53 pm

Mark R..
I do want everyone to know that I am thankful for Makers..just trying to figure out why there is no flexibility in pricing. I hope what others said about maybe them already giving the bare bones price is right.The discussion of where Makers falls..as far as categories go.. is another can of worms. I dont even think I am certain about where I think they lie. It might be interesting to hear what others think about that....anyhow folks.. I am off to brave some THUNDER!.. I hope everyone has a fun and safe weekend.
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:54 pm

Ben S wrote:I hope you are right about that.. and if that is true.. their distributors need/should want to express that. On the flip side, it could be that they may be the most recognizable bourbon brand in the country. We have all seen their clever marketing..whether it be Billboards or Magazine Ads..great marketing. And guess what the stuff tastes pretty damn good. With that said, I will be the first to say that the bottle with its iconic red wax dripping down the side sells itself..there may be no need to offer incentive to the retailer or bar manager. And my point on price incentive was.. I make the same amount off of each bottle whether I sell 10 for them or a 1000 for them.

I am sure the truth is somewhere in between...but me careful what you wish for...if Liquor Mega Store starts getting a volume discount where does that leave you? Selling your bottles for 20% more than them even with your new discount? Their discount will be bigger than yours... no? I would think volume discounts would be the enemy of the "little guys".
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:00 pm

Greg R. wrote:
Ben S wrote:I hope you are right about that.. and if that is true.. their distributors need/should want to express that. On the flip side, it could be that they may be the most recognizable bourbon brand in the country. We have all seen their clever marketing..whether it be Billboards or Magazine Ads..great marketing. And guess what the stuff tastes pretty damn good. With that said, I will be the first to say that the bottle with its iconic red wax dripping down the side sells itself..there may be no need to offer incentive to the retailer or bar manager. And my point on price incentive was.. I make the same amount off of each bottle whether I sell 10 for them or a 1000 for them.

I am sure the truth is somewhere in between...but me careful what you wish for...if Liquor Mega Store starts getting a volume discount where does that leave you? Selling your bottles for 20% more than them even with your new discount? Their discount will be bigger than yours... no? I would think volume discounts would be the enemy of the "little guys".

I think Ben S's point was that by not offering discounts Makers Mark was leveling the field for the little guy!

User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:08 pm

I hadn't heard about any boycott, but I'll say this-
Maker's is the only distiller I've seen that badmouths other local distillers. In every bourbon tasting I've ever been to with a head distiller, they've always praised their peers as well as their own brand, in some cases suggesting a competitors bourbon over their own if it fits a customer's palate more (ie: more wheat vs. more rye etc...) "If this is too spicy you might try this..." and so forth. It seems like a real community, and that makes me happy. The numerous times I've seen Makers give a tasting, they've talked exclusively about why they're better than everyone else and even gets into specifics about certain brands and what they're "doing wrong." For me that's a big turn off...I like that there's a bourbon community. There are a lot of variables and a lot of different ways to make bourbon and there's room for everyone at the table, trash talk is really unnecessary. Also, there's the issue that Maker's Mark isn't very good. Certainly not worth what they charge to cover their massive advertising budget.
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

by Ken Wilson » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:15 pm

I've read quickly through this thread and I didn't see anyone actually explain what incidents or issues are behind the boycott. Somebody fill me (and others out ot the loop) in... Thanks!
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:21 pm

When I buy bourbon at a liquor store I buy Ancient Ancient Age ten-year-old. It's ten dollars cheaper than Maker's for a 750ml bottle and it's better, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, not enough bars around here offer AAA.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:26 pm

Ken Wilson wrote:I've read quickly through this thread and I didn't see anyone actually explain what incidents or issues are behind the boycott. Somebody fill me (and others out ot the loop) in... Thanks!

The reason for the boycott is in the 1st post. The reason is basically because there is a Makers Mark lounge in 4th Street Live and the businesses that are boycotting don't like the competition! Of course the lounge is not owned nor operated by Makers Mark, the owners only licensed the use of the name.

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Come on! Let me live in my little fantasy world with my local Maker's Mark! Actually, in my mind it is local even though I am well aware it is owned by fortune brands. There's a word for that. Denial.

If you are interested getting out of denial :wink: and having a really great, truly local Bourbon, try tasting the Single-barrel/small batch brands from Heaven Hill (Elijah Craig 18 yr old, or Evan Williams Single Barrel 10 year old). Still local (Bardstown) and Family-owned and run....one of the very few remaining Bourbon companies not owned by a multinational mega-corp. Pappy Van Winkle also comes to mind, but they may have been bought out.

Deb
PreviousNext