Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Do you support the Maker's Mark boycott? Pick as many answers as apply.

Yes, it's a great cause.
No votes
No.
29%
Don't care.
16%
Never heard of it.
28%
I will not patronize (boycott) any establishment that boycotts Maker's Mark
11%
I have, in the past, on at least one occasion, chose another bar/eatery solely because Makers Mark was boycotted
5%
I have pitched a fit in public and embarassed myself and my party because I wanted a Maker's Mark and couldn't get one
2%
I would be interested in signing a petition to have Maker's brought back to the "blue zone" (wouldn't your mom be proud that you took a stand on such an important cause)
5%
I always copy my post on this forum before hitting "submit" because sometimes I hit submit and my post disappears because my log-in timed out.
3%

Total votes : 99
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

POLL: This really chaps my hide....

by Greg R. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:16 am

Call me a creature of habit, but I like to enjoy a Maker's Mark when I'm on the town. It's a local product, it's high quality, it's not expensive, and my taste buds enjoy it...what more could you ask for? it's a Greg R. tradition!

I am sure most of you know where I am going with this...and maybe it been tossed around here before...the ongoing boycott of Maker's Mark in St. Matthews. Last night I went to Brenndan's (however they spell it)...I settled into a comfortable booth by the window to take in the Spring air and celebrate the end of another work week...it had been a long one so I figured a bourbon was in order instead of the usual BBC/Boddington's. You guessed it..."I'm sorry sir we don't serve Maker's Mark" the waiter smugly reminded me as if I had just requested a bag of dog poo. I couldn't resist...."why?" I asked for the 11,000,123rd time (just to make sure the story hadn't changed...and I like to watch my girlfriend turn red and crawl under the table). "Makers Mark has gone into competition with us and doesn't support local businesses" was the response or something to that effect. To her credit the official line hasn't changed at all in 11,000,123 recitations. I think i am about one week away from them just printing up a canned response and just handing it to me when i walk in the door.

... what the....? Competition? From where I am sitting I can see people piling into BBC... and Brendann's serves BBC beer... And wait, doesn't BBC have a location practically next door to Maker's on 4th Street? Look, I I personally don't spend much time at 4th street live...but isn't it's mere existence as a tourist magnet part of the reason BBC can have a place downtown and actually have people show up? Some may argue that point, but you can't argue that BBC is in competition with Brendan's et al. Hell, they even sell beer to BJs and some other chains....(good for them, BTW). AB spends who knows how much cash at Slugger field...but I bet I can get a Bud light at Brendans... I just don't get it. And besides, weren't the local bar owners bitching that they couldn't get into 4th street? One local business comes up with enough cash to do it and then they get boycotted by some of the same people who were probably just complaining about a Cordish conspiracy to keep them out of the very same place. what the...?

I realize that me complaining about this sort of thing marks the first day of slow gradual decent to death. Birth, complaining about boycotts, boycotting, spewing political venom at the dinner table, socks with shorts, switching from cake to pie, raving about your doctors bed side manner, death...it goes in that order.
Last edited by Greg R. on Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: This really chaps my hide....

by Mark R. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:38 am

I haven't heard about nor run into this boycott yet. I can tell you however that if I do I'll be finding a different place to drink (and eat)! I've been in Makers Mark lounge several times but I haven't been there because I like it better than some other local place, I've been there because it's different than any other local place. I don't see where it's direct competition to any other local establishment and I don't think any other establishment should feel threatened by it.

Every restaurant and bar has lots of competition so I really don't see the difference, especially when Makers Mark lounge is actually not run by Makers Mark nor their owner Jim Beam. If an establishment feels threatened by this place it's got a lot more to worry about.

As you pointed out there's lots of other competition that's more threatening to their business.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:57 am

Mark R. wrote:I haven't heard about nor run into this boycott yet. I can tell you however that if I do I'll be finding a different place to drink (and eat)!

... especially when Makers Mark lounge is actually not run by Makers Mark nor their owner Jim Beam. If an establishment feels threatened by this place it's got a lot more to worry about.

I don't think you'll be changing your eating patterns much as this has been going on for years (since the opening of 4th Street Live). Most (many?) of the bars on Baxter are playing this game too...

You'd think you'd do your homework before you took a popular product off the shelf...I'm sure it's cost these bars $$$$$. I personally have avoided these places specifically when I've had out of town guests because they want to drink a Maker's in Kentucky (funny, I know...like it's going to taste better here....it's "fresher" or something). we may not recognize it as such, but to folks out of state Maker's Mark is a Kentucky institution. I was at home in Dallas and those clever billboards are up all over the place there too...
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:02 pm

Greg R. wrote:We may not recognize it as such, but to folks out of state Maker's Mark is a Kentucky institution. I was at home in Dallas and those clever billboards are up all over the place there too...
GR

Yes, since they got bought out by Jim Beam they certainly have been doing a lot more advertising Nationwide. I'd like to know how much their sales have increased.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:04 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Greg R. wrote:We may not recognize it as such, but to folks out of state Maker's Mark is a Kentucky institution. I was at home in Dallas and those clever billboards are up all over the place there too...
GR

Yes, since they got bought out by Jim Beam they certainly have been doing a lot more advertising Nationwide. I'd like to know how much their sales have increased.

I'm sure they are in the toilet after the Baxter Ave./ Shelbyville road boycott :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:07 pm

Greg R. wrote:Birth, complaining about boycotts, boycotting, spewing political venom at the dinner table, socks with shorts, switching from cake to pie, raving about your doctors bed side manner, death...it goes in that order.

There ya go! :D

I won't take sides on the boycott other than to point out a bit of back story that you guys probably already know:

1. What's really going on here, as I understand it, is the local nightclub industry taking a shot at Fourth Street Live. Marker's Mark gets to be the target just because they sold the use of their name to the lounge.

2. Not that it matters, much, I assume everyone knows that Makers Mark (like Jim Beam) is owned by multinational corporation Fortune Brands, which bought it recently from multinational corporation Allied Domecq. Yes, it still has a homey little distillery in Loretto, Ky., but it's about as "local" as, well, The Courier-Journal, which still has a little newspaper building at Sixth and Broadway. In both cases, though, the corporate offices are elsewhere, the direction comes from elsewhere, and the profits and dividends go elsewhere.

Not supporting the boycott ... I'll take a sip of Maker's myself, thank you ... but just sayin'.
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:09 pm

That has to be one of the lamest excuses that I have ever heard for a boycott. I would think that there has to be something else going on in the background that is not out in the public.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:13 pm

Mark R. wrote:I haven't heard about nor run into this boycott yet. I can tell you however that if I do I'll be finding a different place to drink (and eat)! I've been in Makers Mark lounge several times but I haven't been there because I like it better than some other local place, I've been there because it's different than any other local place. I don't see where it's direct competition to any other local establishment and I don't think any other establishment should feel threatened by it.

Another thought on this per my final observation on my original post ...I'm still good 10 years away from boycotting a place because of their boycott. I can just see it...I'll be sitting on the patio of BW3 (they are not participating in the boycottif memory serves me) by myself with my Maker's watching everyone else across the street have a good time. I will be teaching them a lesson. Damn, It sucks to get old.
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Greg R. wrote:Birth, complaining about boycotts, boycotting, spewing political venom at the dinner table, socks with shorts, switching from cake to pie, raving about your doctors bed side manner, death...it goes in that order.

There ya go! :D

I won't take sides on the boycott other than to point out a bit of back story that you guys probably already know:

1. What's really going on here, as I understand it, is the local nightclub industry taking a shot at Fourth Street Live. Marker's Mark gets to be the target just because they sold the use of their name to the lounge.

2. Not that it matters, much, I assume everyone knows that Makers Mark (like Jim Beam) is owned by multinational corporation Fortune Brands, which bought it recently from multinational corporation Allied Domecq. Yes, it still has a homey little distillery in Loretto, Ky., but it's about as "local" as, well, The Courier-Journal, which still has a little newspaper building at Sixth and Broadway. In both cases, though, the corporate offices are elsewhere, the direction comes from elsewhere, and the profits and dividends go elsewhere.

Not supporting the boycott ... I'll take a sip of Maker's myself, thank you ... but just sayin'.

Come on! Let me live in my little fantasy world with my local Maker's Mark! Actually, in my mind it is local even though I am well aware it is owned by fortune brands. There's a word for that. Denial.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:20 pm

Greg R. wrote:There's a word for that. Denial.

Works for me! :D

Here's to ya, Greg, with a long shot of Maker's, straight up.
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:27 pm

Robin, is there a way to insert a poll? I wonder if I am alone in thinking this is dumb.

Also, anyone interested in starting a petition?...is there a way to do that online? Hmmm...I wonder where petitions fit into my life continuum? Probably somewhere between bitching to the homeowners association about the neighbors yard and raving about the coconut cream pie at the Ramada Inn in Arkadelphia. Damn, I'm getting 40 years ahead of myself with this one...I'll be a grumpy old man by 3:00.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:32 pm

Greg R. wrote:Robin, is there a way to insert a poll?

Sure, Greg! Just go back to your initial post, click EDIT, then look way down toward the bottom of the resulting page to find the POLL option.

Or tell me what specific questions you want in the poll, and I'll use my Awesome Powers to set it up for you. :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:35 pm

Greg R. wrote:Also, anyone interested in starting a petition?...is there a way to do that online? Hmmm...I wonder where petitions fit into my life continuum? Probably somewhere between bitching to the homeowners association about the neighbors yard and raving about the coconut cream pie at the Ramada Inn in Arkadelphia. Damn, I'm getting 40 years ahead of myself with this one...I'll be a grumpy old man by 3:00.

There's no specific "Petiion" setup the way there is for polls, but of course you could start a new topic called "Makers Mark petition" or whatever, and invite people to "sign" in their replies. I tend to think that businesses ignore those things unless a petition campaign really catches fire with the public, but hey, who knows?
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Greg R. wrote:Also, anyone interested in starting a petition?...is there a way to do that online? Hmmm...I wonder where petitions fit into my life continuum? Probably somewhere between bitching to the homeowners association about the neighbors yard and raving about the coconut cream pie at the Ramada Inn in Arkadelphia. Damn, I'm getting 40 years ahead of myself with this one...I'll be a grumpy old man by 3:00.

There's no specific "Petiion" setup the way there is for polls, but of course you could start a new topic called "Makers Mark petition" or whatever, and invite people to "sign" in their replies. I tend to think that businesses ignore those things unless a petition campaign really catches fire with the public, but hey, who knows?

Yea, I think I'm getting way ahead of myself...
User

Ben Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:21 pm

Highlands, Louisville, KY

by Ben Smith » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:20 pm

..this may be related.. or may not be...

but from a business perspective.. Makers will not do anything to encourage you to carry their product. I may sound like I am chomping on Sour Grapes..but I dont apologize for it. They are the only Spirit (trust me I know you will find an exception) in that price or quality echelon that has no flex in their pricing. Their bottle cost is the same whether you buy one bottle or 10 cases. If you think it leaves a sour taste in the collective retailer/restauranteur/bar manager's mouth you are right. Almost all, (i said almost) offer some incentive to carry a higher volume of their product. With that being said, you can find a bottle of Makers on our shelves.. this is Louisville, Kentucky after all (do I push the product? i will let you guess). While I may not agree entirely with Brendan's, I support them having their own prerogative..and I am sure they have plenty of other fine bourbons, other than the redhead.

....And for the record I do enjoy Makers Mark Bourbon Lounge.. I rarely drink any Makers down there..but I love what they have to offer..and count some of their staff as close friends. I wish that outlet nothing but success.
Next