Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Do you support the Maker's Mark boycott? Pick as many answers as apply.

Yes, it's a great cause.
No votes
No.
29%
Don't care.
16%
Never heard of it.
28%
I will not patronize (boycott) any establishment that boycotts Maker's Mark
11%
I have, in the past, on at least one occasion, chose another bar/eatery solely because Makers Mark was boycotted
5%
I have pitched a fit in public and embarassed myself and my party because I wanted a Maker's Mark and couldn't get one
2%
I would be interested in signing a petition to have Maker's brought back to the "blue zone" (wouldn't your mom be proud that you took a stand on such an important cause)
5%
I always copy my post on this forum before hitting "submit" because sometimes I hit submit and my post disappears because my log-in timed out.
3%

Total votes : 99
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Re: POLL: This really chaps my hide....

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:17 am

Jeremy J wrote: Evan Williams is half as expensive and just as good....

what the heck? Why go out of your way to defend a mediocre bourbon with millions upon millions of ad dollars?

Because people like it? When I need to strip furniture for refinishing I buy Evan Williams, but if you like it and want to drink it then by all means do so. It's a big ol' world with alot of personal choice involved and room for everybody in the tent, even Evan Williams drinkers.

Does the amount of advertising dollars spent on a product change the taste? or just the perception of the product? If I gave Roger Baylor a $250 million dollar advertising budget for a single NABC product would it make a less desireable brew?
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:09 am

Ed Vermillion wrote:
Jeremy J wrote: Evan Williams is half as expensive and just as good....

what the heck? Why go out of your way to defend a mediocre bourbon with millions upon millions of ad dollars?

Because people like it? When I need to strip furniture for refinishing I buy Evan Williams, but if you like it and want to drink it then by all means do so. It's a big ol' world with alot of personal choice involved and room for everybody in the tent, even Evan Williams drinkers.

Does the amount of advertising dollars spent on a product change the taste? or just the perception of the product? If I gave Roger Baylor a $250 million dollar advertising budget for a single NABC product would it make a less desireable brew?

Ed, we need to have a beer together.

Jeremy, give me a break.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:57 am

Jeremy J wrote:Really!? At this point, while I'm disappointed in the lack of local representation in 4th St. Live!, I just shrug because locals just don't go there....what really boggles my mind is that this many people like Makers Mark....it sucks! Evan Williams is half as expensive and just as good....what the heck? Why go out of your way to defend a mediocre bourbon with millions upon millions of ad dollars?

I respect someone who says that Maker's Mark is not their preferred bourbon, but to say that it "sucks" is ludicrous. I have had bourbon that sucks. Maker's Mark may not be made in a style that you enjoy, but it does not suck.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:27 am

Ron Johnson wrote:
Jeremy J wrote:Really!? At this point, while I'm disappointed in the lack of local representation in 4th St. Live!, I just shrug because locals just don't go there....what really boggles my mind is that this many people like Makers Mark....it sucks! Evan Williams is half as expensive and just as good....what the heck? Why go out of your way to defend a mediocre bourbon with millions upon millions of ad dollars?

I respect someone who says that Maker's Mark is not their preferred bourbon, but to say that it "sucks" is ludicrous. I have had bourbon that sucks. Maker's Mark may not be made in a style that you enjoy, but it does not suck.

A little hyperbole on the board? Nah - can't be! It not only doesn't "suck" (what a disgusting word to use, by the way), but it's an excellent example of a Kentucky product that people around the world associate with the Bluegrass region. I'm personally quite proud of it. And I've yet to darken the doors of 4th Street Live (although I hold no animosity to those that enjoy it).
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:34 am

Years ago Makers Mark was the only distillery (locally) where bartenders could go and add a bit of product education to their craft. Kudos to them for that. MM has really been the one brand to market (and market exceptionally well) the bourbon and KY connection. I think the entire states owes them a debt of thanks for that. I see the bar on 4th Street as an extention of their clever marketing plans. Few products out there are as adept at marketing as MM has been.

I hear and see a great deal of sour grapes from folks who want the same amount of business, sales and profit for their bourbon or bar or restaurant or whatever but they don't want to invest in the marketing of their product or business. It's a little like wanting to be able to claim the BEST of something,( fill in the blank) - but not be willing to pay for the best ingredients or 'know how' to make said product. I see this childish boycott as little more than a jealous pout. MM has earned their well known name by first telling /marketing it then backing up same marketing with a fine product that has become very popular.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:43 am

Ok, fine. If it's ludicrous and offensive to say that Maker's Mark sucks, then I apologize, and while I don't understand what you're tasting that makes it so good, I will simply say that I don't get the big hoopla about Maker's. But I will say that it is also ludicrous to be a distiller in a reasonably small bourbon community that publicly bad-mouths your peers.

As for this boycott business...I dunno, seems a little over the top to me too, but at the same time, if they really feel it's worth a boycott then perhaps there's more to it than we are aware of. Either way, it seems like a pretty minor inconvenience, I'm sure they have a different/similar bourbon that you would enjoy as well and isn't variety the spice of life? Mix it up a bit, and just drink Maker's at home or outside of St. Matthews.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:49 am

Jeremy J wrote:But I will say that it is also ludicrous to be a distiller in a reasonably small bourbon community that publicly bad-mouths your peers.

. . . child's play compared to what goes in Napa and Sonoma among winemakers. Maker's is what it is, neither the best nor the worst bourbon out there. It's just that Bill Samuels is a marketing genius, and everyone else in the biz has been playing catch-up since the 1980's.
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:09 am

Ron Johnson wrote:
Jeremy J wrote:But I will say that it is also ludicrous to be a distiller in a reasonably small bourbon community that publicly bad-mouths your peers.

. . . child's play compared to what goes in Napa and Sonoma among winemakers. Maker's is what it is, neither the best nor the worst bourbon out there. It's just that Bill Samuels is a marketing genius, and everyone else in the biz has been playing catch-up since the 1980's.

Actually, i think we should give a tip of the hat to the nice folks here locally at Doe Anderson. They create and place all the Maker's advertising you see around the country.
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:21 am

Ron I definitely agree with that....it is brilliant advertising. But frankly, when I was there I didn't really experience anything other than subtle jabs at bigger wineries, and if I had, it would have really turned me off. Telling me why other wineries are lousy doesn't tell me why your wine is good, and the same goes for bourbon. If someone were to ask me why I think my band is good I wouldn't frame it in the context of telling them what other bands do poorly, that's lame.
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:35 am

carla griffin wrote:Years ago Makers Mark was the only distillery (locally) where bartenders could go and add a bit of product education to their craft. Kudos to them for that. MM has really been the one brand to market (and market exceptionally well) the bourbon and KY connection. I think the entire states owes them a debt of thanks for that. I see the bar on 4th Street as an extention of their clever marketing plans. Few products out there are as adept at marketing as MM has been.

I hear and see a great deal of sour grapes from folks who want the same amount of business, sales and profit for their bourbon or bar or restaurant or whatever but they don't want to invest in the marketing of their product or business. It's a little like wanting to be able to claim the BEST of something,( fill in the blank) - but not be willing to pay for the best ingredients or 'know how' to make said product. I see this childish boycott as little more than a jealous pout. MM has earned their well known name by first telling /marketing it then backing up same marketing with a fine product that has become very popular.

Carla, Are we in the same business? :P
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:41 am

Jeremy J wrote:Ron I definitely agree with that....it is brilliant advertising. But frankly, when I was there I didn't really experience anything other than subtle jabs at bigger wineries, and if I had, it would have really turned me off. Telling me why other wineries are lousy doesn't tell me why your wine is good, and the same goes for bourbon. If someone were to ask me why I think my band is good I wouldn't frame it in the context of telling them what other bands do poorly, that's lame.

I think it is fair to point out that Maker's Mark lent it's name to a place they knew would sell and talk-up other bourbon labels. If memory serves me, I have seen Bill Samuels on TV talking about other makes of bourbon.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:50 am

Greg R. wrote:I think it is fair to point out that Maker's Mark lent it's name to a place they knew would sell and talk-up other bourbon labels. If memory serves me, I have seen Bill Samuels on TV talking about other makes of bourbon.

All true, and all fair comment. "Lent" its name might not be the best verb, though. It's my understanding that Makers receives significant payment for licensing its name to the restaurant company that operates this facility. Maybe "rent" its name? ;)
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Greg R. wrote:I think it is fair to point out that Maker's Mark lent it's name to a place they knew would sell and talk-up other bourbon labels. If memory serves me, I have seen Bill Samuels on TV talking about other makes of bourbon.

All true, and all fair comment. "Lent" its name might not be the best verb, though. It's my understanding that Makers receives significant payment for licensing its name to the restaurant company that operates this facility. Maybe "rent" its name? ;)

Heck, I thought they owned the place. I'd like to know what the arrangement is (I had assumed they brought someone on board to run the operation). Shame on me...I pride myself on not taking everything at face value...but all those bartenders, all those times (1,000,123), beat me down. I need to do a little homework.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:13 pm

Let me state definitively that this is by no means a comprehensive "St. Matthews" boycott. We proudly serve Maker's at Cafe Lou Lou.

Good lord, I couldn't work there if we didn't. It's the only bourbon I ever drink....and I drink a LOT of bourbon.

In other news, I was one of the first people to become a "Maker's Mark Ambassador" (I know, just more good marketing) years ago. They put your name (among a few others) on a plaque on barrel and invite you to come to its opening when it has aged correctly. I just got notice that mine is being born this spring!

Now, if only they gave you the barrel. Alas, no...but they are "letting" me purchase and hand-dip two bottles from my own barrel, and they affix a little mini-version of the plaque to each. :mrgreen:
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:28 pm

Oh .... just forgo the bottle and get yourself one of those 14" Big Gulp straws from your local Big Foot station! :wink:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
PreviousNext