Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Cafe Annie

User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Cafe Annie

by Ron Johnson » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:46 am

How long will it take me to learn that Vietnam Kitchen is closed on Wednesdays? In all fairness to my mental accuity, I did believe that I had read somewhere that VK was now open on Wednesdays. Alas, it's not true. So, with a few choice curse words muttered under my breath, I put my car in reverse and backed away from the dark storefront. My frustration was only assuaged by the fact that another car full of disappointed diners was doing the same thing.

Now, in desparate need of Vietnamese food, I sought out the place Marty recently reviewed for the C-J. Without an address I could not find it, so I opted for the familiar VK back-up, Cafe Annie. It has been at least two years since I last dined at Cafe Annie, but as soon as I walked in the door the owner greeted me with a warm smile, and a "it's been a long time since I've seen you."

I assumed she had mistaken me for someone else. Two years had passed, and it's not like I ate here that often back then. But, as soon as I was seated she asked me if I wanted my "usual". What? My usual? Seeing this as a chance to test her, I said sure.

Lo and behold, I was served goi cuon as an appetizer followed by bun thit nuong with pork. Damn, she is good. That is exactly what I had ordered on previous visits.

It was good fix for my craving, if a few noticeable notches below the flawlessness of the VK version. I'll be back . . . on another Wednesday.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Cafe Annie

by James Natsis » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:15 am

Ron,
One only needs to show up at Annie's around 11:00-12:00 on most Fridays to find me at my usual table reading the paper and enjoying a tofu spring roll, tofu pho, and their excellent hot tea. As you may guess, whether its Annie or Lee who greets me I don't have to place my order--the tea is even sometimes waiting for me if I am spotted outside getting ready to come in. I told my wife the other day that if I ever became a multimillionaire, I would still frequent a place like Annie's because it offers the simplicity, warmth, and tenderloving preperation that I enjoy.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:26 pm

Vietnam Kitchen is excellent!!! I went after my dentist appointment on Tuesday, and I had the Banh Xeo and the stuffed eggplant with pork and chicken (can't remember the name, but it was N something, 6 maybe?)

I wonder if they'd consider opening up a second location further east???
Last edited by MarieP on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:51 pm

I spoke to the VK owner months ago about opening a second restaurant. He had no intention stating that they could never maintain the same quality. Besides, I think he is at the stage of nearing retirement rather than seeking more work and headaches through expansion..........By the way, speaking of south side vietnamese food, I just got back from the Pho Banh Manh on Strawberry Ln. I'll tell you, that place is like taking a trip out of the country. I am always the only non-Asian in the place and they always have Vietnamese TV in the background. Their vegetable pho is delicious and very healthy. The old man is always friendly and polite. It is quite a hidden jewell.
James J. Natsis
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:57 pm

VK was going to open a second location on Bardstown Rd several years ago, but it didn't work out. I doubt that they would try it again. Why mess with perfection. It is the best Vietnamese restaurant in town.