Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

Marty's One-Star Review

by Charles W. » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:45 am

For those of you who have been wondering what would lead Marty to give a 1-star review. Wonder no more:

http://cityguide.courier-journal.com/fe ... ssid=47418

La Rouge is the winner!
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Marty's One-Star Review

by Steve Shade » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:01 am

Charles W. wrote:For those of you who have been wondering what would lead Marty to give a 1-star review. Wonder no more:

La Rouge is the winner!

Sounds like the Rick (formerly of L&N) that left was a lot better than the Rick that stayed.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Marty's One-Star Review

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:24 am

Steve Shade wrote:Sounds like the Rick (formerly of L&N) that left was a lot better than the Rick that stayed.

Without making a judgment on that, let's say that La Rouge was designed specifically to showcase Rick Adams's culinary style, and Rick Longino's cooking skills come from a completely different background. Not to cast aspersions on either guy, but La Rouge without Rick A is a completely different place, and I think Rick L would have probably been more well advised to rethink the concept rather than pick up exactly where his short-lived partner left off.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am

Damn! It looks like Marty certainly gave them the benefit of the doubt by visiting more than once, also. My prediction is for a short life.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Comments on Marty's review

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:58 am

Since Charles got up early and caught this before I did, I'll just tack my weekly commentary into this thread.

As Charles points out, this is a significant moment, possibly the first time the CJ has issued a one-star restaurant rating since back when I was in the pulpit. It's sad to see an independent local spot hammered so hard, but Marty makes his case. (I had only dined at La Rouge once, a lunch session shortly after opening, when Rick Adams was still there. It was more than worthy, as I reported in a short LEO "preview" on Dec. 6. I'm thinking I might wait a while before going back.)

Nitpick patrol: Although the name "napa" is becoming almost as common as the more accurate "nappa" for white Chinese cabbage, the double-p form is really correct: It derives from the Japanese word for "green vegetable," but is often spelled with a single p, apparently due to confusion with California's Napa Valley. Single-p Napa is so common that it's not really wrong, but I'm a little surprised that a food guru of Marty's caliber used it ... or maybe the editors changed it?

[url=http://cityguide.courier-journal.com/fe/RestaurantReviews/Profile.asp?businessid=47418]Lackluster La Rouge
<B>Menu makes promises the kitchen can't keep</B>[/url]

<b>La Rouge</b>
252 E. Market St.
Louisville, KY
(502) 568-5555
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:47 pm

Yes, that it is a coincidence since we were just discussing it last week.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

1 star review.

by Doogy R » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:13 pm

The more I read the article, the more I knew it wasn't gonna get a good review. I wasn't so shocked at the 1 star as much as I was seeing it in the CJ. It seems they would rarely deviate too much from a middle of the road rating unless it was some great meal at a top restaurant in town. I'm glad Marty is able to call it as he sees it, even if it bodes poorly for the restaurant. Maybe they'll shape up.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:43 pm

I'd have to say, after reading it, that the words and the star rating don't match up in my mind. It's quite the conundrum.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:45 pm

Amy A wrote:I'd have to say, after reading it, that the words and the star rating don't match up in my mind. It's quite the conundrum.

I think what we're saying there is consistent with Marty's tendence to be a nice, gentle guy. He's holding back on the meanness and bashing, but the single star - and a careful reading of the specific dish descriptions - pretty much says it all. But you're right, the overall result ends up reading more like 2 stars than 1.
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:14 pm

Is that something like, "Nice guys finish last?". :wink:
no avatar
User

MichaelBolen

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:03 pm

by MichaelBolen » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:58 am

wow with a review like that i cant see this lasting long lol i wish them luck i hate to see empty business especially downtyown, and i have seen downtown get better since ive moved here
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:06 pm

Ouch. That has to hurt.
no avatar
User

Rick Adams

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:56 pm

by Rick Adams » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:21 am

There are many reasons I left la rouge and i cannot go into them all but one of the major reasons I had to leave was the day my partner told me that "we are making changes and you are not going to like them." Cutting back quality because "people won't know the difference." Apparently they do. Using select meat, Sam's gorgonzola instead of Point Reyes, using pre made soups and salad dressings, making gravy instead of demi glace, buying spring mix from Sam's when our menu says Grateful greens, using shiitakes that are not Sheltowee farms when it clearly states that on the menu, pre made "risotto," etc etc. Before we opened I remembered seeing a post by Robin saying that la rouge was going to be my signature restaurant and i thought at that time that it didnt really feel like me. It took alot for me to walk away from a dream that I have had for years and has cost me alot in the way of lost friends, soured relationships with purveyors, marring my reputation and possibly losing a couple hundred thousand dollars that I don't have. But I don't regret it at all. Maybe I'm stubborn but at least I still have integrity in what i do.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

La Rouge

by Doogy R » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:51 am

Bye bye La Rouge.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:16 am

Rick --

Billy and I appreciate your integrity and know that you will come out the better for this.

If it were not for the many chefs like you and the others that we work with, we would not be able to do what we do.

Sheltowee Farm Mushroom (above)
Mushroom from Canada/CA/Pennsylvania/overseas
Rebecca Phillips Webb
Next