Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Highlands

La Rouge-"Temporarily Closed" sign on the door

by Doug A » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:52 am

Noticed it driving home last night. There was some smaller text below, but could not make it our from the car. Did the CJ review catch up with them or anyone know if it's truely temporary?

Doug
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: La Rouge-"Temporarily Closed" sign on the door

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:15 pm

Doug A wrote:Noticed it driving home last night. There was some smaller text below, but could not make it our from the car. Did the CJ review catch up with them or anyone know if it's truely temporary?

Buzz on the street, Doug, is that Cafe Lou Lou may be sneaking a peek at that facility ... strictly fourth-hand info, here ...
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:21 pm

I tend to want to do the opposite of what a critic thinks. Robin for instance, we have huge differences, he tends to judge everything from wine to atmosphere, where I tend to say, how is the food. I will eat it off the floor if it is good (exageration folks!) I always try a place once. You just can't trust subjectivity. I find that if I go into a place with very low expectations, the restaurant is better than I expect and I come out happy-ish. The reverse is also true. It's a little head game I play. :P
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:24 pm

I loved your review Robin! Or at least I had fun with it. I have a friend that detests mayo to extremes that aren't logical. He was interested in the restaurant and everything in the review was aioli. I loved it!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:44 pm

John R. wrote:Robin for instance, we have huge differences, he tends to judge everything from wine to atmosphere

Just for the record, my official, published policy is that I take all those considerations - food, service and atmosphere - into consideration, but food comes first. I think everybody knows we go to restaurants to eat, and if the food is lousy, great atmosphere won't save it. But great atmosphere and excellent service can make a good spot even better, and lousy peripherals can take the edge off a delicious meal.
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Highlands

by Doug A » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:13 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Doug A wrote:Noticed it driving home last night. There was some smaller text below, but could not make it our from the car. Did the CJ review catch up with them or anyone know if it's truely temporary?

Buzz on the street, Doug, is that Cafe Lou Lou may be sneaking a peek at that facility ... strictly fourth-hand info, here ...

That would be nice. Have quite the dinner selection on my drive home from Jeffersonville to the Highlands.

BTW, finally made it from the old board to the new one. Seems like the registration has brought back the civility that the old board had in earlier days and had begun to lack lately. Thanks for continuing to make it better for all involved.

Doug
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
John R. wrote:Robin for instance, we have huge differences, he tends to judge everything from wine to atmosphere

Just for the record, my official, published policy is that I take all those considerations - food, service and atmosphere - into consideration, but food comes first. I think everybody knows we go to restaurants to eat, and if the food is lousy, great atmosphere won't save it. But great atmosphere and excellent service can make a good spot even better, and lousy peripherals can take the edge off a delicious meal.

I agree with Robin. I go to eat at places from Flabbys to Equus. Quite different in atmosphere. However bad service can ruin a good meal. Improperly paced service, or even worse, smartass servers can completely screw things up. (never has happened at Flabbys or Equus). Has seldom happened, but if it is the servers fault, the tip is a nickel or couple pennies. I don't want them to think I forgot. Never stiff the server if it might be the kitchens problem.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:28 pm

Doug

Not surprised. If you don't pay your suppliers, they don't deliver. Note the earlier post by Rick Adams (ex partner in La Rouge).
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

You are fun Robin! haha! I thought all of that was implied that's why I didn't mention them. I mentioned only the differences. Atmosphere doesn't have much of an impact on me.......extremes excluded. I know nothing about wine so I can't judge that either. I guess I fall with the majority on wine? Be honest though, how would you rate a restaurant with great atmosphere, great service, good food, and an unbeatable wine list Vs. a place with an ok atmosphere, good service, unbeatable food, and no or bad wine list? It's rhetorical of course. :P
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:20 pm

John R. wrote:Be honest though, how would you rate a restaurant with great atmosphere, great service, good food, and an unbeatable wine list Vs. a place with an ok atmosphere, good service, unbeatable food, and no or bad wine list? It's rhetorical of course. :P

Interesting, difficult question, and of course you knew that I couldn't give a simple, one-size-fits-all answer. The obvious response is that I would try to explain these issues in the words, and that nobody should ever make a dining decision on the basis of review points alone. But to be honest, it's hard for me to see how a place with only ok atmosphere and service could have unbeatable food, because generally the kind of crazy, take-no-prisoners commitment that makes a restaurant great also drives the management to do *everything* right.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
John R. wrote:Be honest though, how would you rate a restaurant with great atmosphere, great service, good food, and an unbeatable wine list Vs. a place with an ok atmosphere, good service, unbeatable food, and no or bad wine list? It's rhetorical of course. :P

Interesting, difficult question, and of course you knew that I couldn't give a simple, one-size-fits-all answer. The obvious response is that I would try to explain these issues in the words, and that nobody should ever make a dining decision on the basis of review points alone. But to be honest, it's hard for me to see how a place with only ok atmosphere and service could have unbeatable food, because generally the kind of crazy, take-no-prisoners commitment that makes a restaurant great also drives the management to do *everything* right.

That's great! I yield to the master.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Clarification?

by Kim H » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:03 am

Robin, I believe you could think of places where you do indeed love the food, and maybe are not so crazy about the service or the atmosphere. Certain ethnic restaurant reviews you have given come to mind, and I could drive my point with a favorite restaurant of my own (and one of yours). La Tapatia. It's loud, with 2 or 3 TV's playing different Latino Soap Operas (at lunch, anyway), sometimes music on top of that, all those doors can make it cold in the winter, and the service, while generally good, can be challenging if you have a special request. But the food is awesome, and those things BECOME the atmosphere of the place. They're not driving every little thing of the place to be a a top restaurant, as your reply implies, but they are what they are, but the food rises above whatever else may not be the ideal. Know what I mean?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Clarification?

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:28 am

Kim H wrote:Know what I mean?

Sort of. ;) Ethnic places and mom'n'pop places can be exceptions, you're right, although even there, if we don't insist on four-star, white-tablecloth atmosphere as our criterion for greatness, I'd argue that La Tapatia's atmosphere is above average because it's colorful and cozy and makes you feel happy to be there. And I've never had anything but cordial, quick service there, even when there's been a language barrier. So when I talk about loving La Tap', I don't have to cross my fingers and ignore sub-standard environment or service.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Atmosphere

by Kim H » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

I believe we are mostly agreeing, sort of. I don't insist on a white table cloth atmosphere, by any means. A place can have wonderful ambiance and be very casual and laid back, or funky, or kitschy, or whatever - it's more about how the overall experience with a place makes you FEEL. But honestly, I certainly would not call La Tapatia 'cozy'. Hard chairs, blaring Hispanic tv, and it seems more white and stark than colorful in my opinion. Unless you mean the patrons ;o) Maybe you and I just have different tastes. The food - AWESOME, can't say enough good things about it. But the atmosphere in general terms - eh. And when I am wanting a nice 'cozy' place to sit and relax, La Tapatia does not even cross my mind.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Atmosphere

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Kim H wrote:And when I am wanting a nice 'cozy' place to sit and relax, La Tapatia does not even cross my mind.

Well, it's not quiet. But to me, "cozy" also works for a place where people get together with friends and feel comfortable about relaxing and having a really good time. I went out to La Tapatia during a Mexico game in the World Cup, just to soak up the ambience, and it was great, even if Mexico did get wiped out by Portugal ...
PreviousNext