Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Maido offline.....

no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Maido offline.....

by Heather L » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Reviews? Details? menu? Please!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Sign here for April 7 Maido offline.....

by GaryF » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:33 pm

Heather L wrote:Reviews? Details? menu? Please!

Toki showed us a wonderful time and a very interesting menu. (If I get anything wrong please feel free to correct me)
She started us with bowls of a shrimp avocado tomato salad mixed with some miso, I think.
That was followed by a big bowl of soup with miso. ramen. pickled veggies, HB egg, and fish cake. Curried squid and rice was next, and then wedges of a dish that looked like frittata but was actually layers of shrimp scalops reamen and miso paste. I pigged out on two pieces of that. Somewhere in the middle was a spicy sweet octopus dish and the last offering was tuna rolls that were made with soba noodles instead of rice.
It was a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours with nice people and good, interesting food.

Thank you Robin for putting this idea out there, and to you Tom for organizing the venture.
I look forward to seeing everyone again soon.
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Re: Sign here for April 7 Maido offline.....

by Sherrie G » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:48 am

GaryF wrote:

Toki showed us a wonderful time and a very interesting menu. (If I get anything wrong please feel free to correct me)
She started us with bowls of a shrimp avocado tomato salad mixed with some miso, I think.
That was followed by a big bowl of soup with miso. ramen. pickled veggies, HB egg, and fish cake. Curried squid and rice was next, and then wedges of a dish that looked like frittata but was actually layers of shrimp scalops reamen and miso paste. I pigged out on two pieces of that. Somewhere in the middle was a spicy sweet octopus dish and the last offering was tuna rolls that were made with soba noodles instead of rice.
It was a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours with nice people and good, interesting food.

Thank you Robin for putting this idea out there, and to you Tom for organizing the venture.
I look forward to seeing everyone again soon.

I think you got it all right, Gary. There was one other dish that I think you missed - I don't remember what was in it - but it looked like deep fried dumplings. I will also mention that the soba noodles in the tuna roll were made from green tea so the look of the tuna rolls were unique (to me, anyway). As a picky eater, I will say those rolls were my least favorite part of the meal, more because of the texture (best described as slippery) than because of the flavor. My absolute favorite part of the meal was the dish you described as looking like a frittata. Dishes like that make me wonder what else I have been missing out on because of my pickiness. :roll:

Toki - thank you so much for all your hard work. The food was great and the next time I go to Maido, I'll be sure to have my husband in tow.

Forumities - it was nice to finally be able to put some faces to the Avatars/names. I enjoyed myself and will be sure to try to attend more of these offline outings.

GaryF - my husband usually guides me when we are trying new foods - he'll take a bite and let me know if I'll like something, or what might be off-putting in the dish to me. You took up his role nicely. Thanks for the guidance. No doubt we'll see you soon.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Maido offline.....

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:05 pm

I've separated out this after-offline discussion and moved it back into the main forum to get more attention. I thought the Maido offline was just great! Toki really outdid herself to put on a special menu for our group, and the previous posts covered it all, I think. Here's a direct copy-and-paste from the brief notes I pecked into the iPhone as each course came:

Shrimp salad with tomatoes and cilantro

Miso ramen with egg, sugar snap pea,fish cake and carrot.

Natto (fermented soybeans) and cheese in fried pastry with a sweet chile dipping sauce.

Squid rings in a mild curry sauce with corn niblets and rice.

Shrimp and scallops fried noodle cake.

Octopus bites in a very hot red chile sauce.

"Sushi roll" with soba noodles in place of rice, raw tuna and tomago omelet

I liked it all. The offbeat sushi, as mentioned, was made by lying down parallel lengths of soba (buckwheat noodles) with tuna and egg, rolled in nori and sliced into large rounds, just like traditional maki-zushi but with parallel short lengths of brown noodle replacing the rice. It was a great concept, and the soba and green tea flavors were reminiscent of a famous Kyoto soba dish with similar flavors, but it would have worked better, in my opinion, as a smaller roll that made bite-size pieces. Once you bit into the large roll, the remainder didn't stick together the way sticky sushi rice would.

That's mighty picky, though. It was great fun and the food was a delight, and our group of - 12? 14? pretty much filled up Maio's smallish karaoke room. I wish we had a little more room to move around and mingle ... I don't feel that I got to really meet a couple of you, and that's a shame.
User

Laura B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 am

Miami, Florida

by Laura B » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:41 pm

Maido was wonderful! Thanks for a great meal Toki! My fave was the shrimp & scallop noodle cake followed by the Natto. I'm usually not a squid fan, but I did like it with the curry sauce. It was good to see you all and, like Robin, I wish we had had more room to meet and mingle. Too bad that the patio wasn't ready as that would have been perfect since the weather was so beautiful!
When in doubt, add more wine.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:52 pm

My vagabond nomad brother is passing through town today - final destination Whitefish, MT - and since I couldn't make the offline on Monday - I siezed the opportunity to take him to Maido for a late lunch.

He had the buffet. I'm a vegetarian - so I ordered off of the menu. I had an order of Vegetable Gyoza which are my absolute favorite! I also had the Harmony Roll, which is daikon radish and shitake mushroom on the inside and roasted red pepper and avacado on the outside. Washed down with a Bell's Oberon - it was a lovely lunch and a great way to spend some time with my seldom scene 'little' brother!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)