Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Absolutely wonderful dinner at Equus last night

by Leah S » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:09 am

First I used Open Table for the reservation process and about 1 nanosecond after I hit the submit button the confirmation was in my email inbox. I truly love Open Table. I also noted that it was our wedding anniversary. (14th!!)

We arrived during the storm and were greeted at the outer door and welcomed in. Upon seating the server introduced himself and wished us a happy anniversary. Nice touch.

Apps included a crab cake for hubby of which I only got the tinest bite. It was pretty much all crab however, and that's a very good thing. Accompanied by a bit of a spicy remoulade that was the perfect compliment. I had the mushroom fume soup and this gets added to my personal list of five best foods of all time. If I ever am in a position to request a last meal, this will be on that menu.

For dinner hubby had the Catch special, monkfish with forbidden rice and an orange infused broth of some kind. I didn't get a single bite of it, but hubby was practically licking the plate, so I'm thinking it was really good. The black rice certainly adds visual interest to the dish.

I had the vegetarian explosion. I think they actually call it a vegetarian whim, but I renamed it. Haricot verts with candied pecans, garlic infused gnocchi, cheese tortellini with a light Alfredo sauce and sauted mushrooms with truffle oil. All fabulous. I honestly could not choose a favorite.

The restaurant did actually have a bottle of non-alcoholic wine available. Now I know that idea may be antithetical to most of you, but some required meds can not be taken with alcohol, so thats the way it is right now. It was certainly a nice option.

Desserts (one of which was complimentary for the anniversary) included the Chess cake and the chocolate genoise. The chess cake was a square of, you guessed it, chess cake, split with a lovely vanilla ice cream then reassembled into a tower, topped with Belgian chocolate and served in a pool of creme anglaise decorated with fruit purees and sliced almonds. mmmmm The genoise was served in rounds, put together with ganache served with the anglaise. Dense, chocolately and excellent. Complements to Pasty Chef Ray Weber. If I got your name wrong, chef, please correct me.

We left lighter in the wallet but very happy. Hubby wants to know why we don't eat there much more often.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:26 pm

Love reading your reviews, thanks for sharing!
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Absolutely wonderful dinner at Equus last night

by Doogy R » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:13 pm

I can only think of 2 things to say: YUMMO and I need to get there soon. Thanks for the quality review.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Rick G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:05 am

by Rick G » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:26 pm

Leah,
Glad you had a good dinner there. Some people I know say the food has been lacking lately. Seems it was a positive experience for you and I'm glad. Maybe the people who spoke otherwise will read your review and try again.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:41 am

I hadn't been in many years and was glad went there!
no avatar
User

anthonys

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:00 pm

Louisville

by anthonys » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:36 pm

Those crab cakes are unreal aren't they?

I've eaten at Equus probably 15-20 times and never had a decent meal there...... They have all been fabulous. ;)

I am literally dying to try Corbett's.

BTW, it sucks you had to go with NA wine, Troy does such a good job pairing and describing wines. He actually knows what we like and has something picked out when we get there.

A couple suggestions from my experiences:

-Caesar Salad is a must.... made from scratch at table side.
-Chess Cake as leah described.
-Sea Bass is amazing.
-My father always gets the beef tenderloin or filet when available. It is always beautiful. I'm more of an experimenter depending on whats on the menu.
-Salmon and Fried Green tomato appt is maybe my favorite app in town.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:48 pm

The table next to us had the Caesar Salad and its definitely on my list for next time!

You'll have to wait until August for Corbett's.