Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Buying Budweiser = John McCain for President

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:41 am

Mark R. wrote:Actually I thought this was a food forum not a English grammar forum but I will try to do better.

Don't worry about it, Mark. Post on!
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:49 am

David R. Pierce wrote:
Mark R. wrote:Pardon me but how is this any different than Mr. Kerrey's wife's money from her parents family business?

I'll take a stab at it: Heinz Ketchup actually has good flavor for ketchup?
hnz_ff_ketchup.jpg

You know there's a Roger Baylor of the ketchup world out there somewhere who would find it absolutely appalling that you would put that rancid corporate tomato juice on your fries. The only reason you consume that product is because you are ignorant of the vast selection of micro-ketchup available.
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:56 am

C. Devlin wrote:
Mark R. wrote:Pardon me but how is this any different than Mr. Kerrey's wife's money from her parents family business? Democrats probably forget that she has much more money than the McCain's which all came from the Heinz corporation and that she loaned much money to the campaign and Heinz Corp. officers and the company itself donated much money to his campaign.

We all know that politics in America is totally controlled by money and candidates both democrat and republican bend over backwards to do whatever it takes to get donations. While I respect individuals commitment to supporting a particular candidate or party I don't believe it's correct for a business to not carry a product because of the political connection of a supplier. It is a disservice to their customers, and a potential loss of business for them. Boycotts never are affected in achieving their goals.

Apart from the fundamental error here that Theresa Kerry's parents owned Heinz, everything else about this message is wrong too. She wasn't born into the Heinz family. She was born in Mozambique, her father was a Portugese physician, and she was married (1966) to John Heinz who was elected republican senator to Pennsylvania in 1976 and who died in an airplane crash in 1991. By the time she married John Kerry, she didn't own any part of the Heinz corporation, although she did manage the family's charitable endowments, particularly in the area of environmental causes. That was pretty broadly covered during the campaign. Unfortunately, early on in the campaign the emal spams had spread so many falsehoods about Theresa Heinz Kerry that people apparently didn't feel it was necessary to bother finding out what the actual truth was.

I think the point is that she got her money from ketchup. Lots of it...after some quick research...about 10 times what the McCains get from beer.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:01 am

Greg R. wrote:You know there's a Roger Baylor of the ketchup world out there somewhere who would find it absolutely appalling that you would put that rancid corporate tomato juice on your fries. The only reason you consume that product is because you are ignorant of the vast selection of micro-ketchup available.

An example of what I find appalling, other than failed humor, would be if the rancid coroprate ketchup maker decided to invest vast sums in a place like Louisville Slugger Field -- with the overt connivance of the ballclub playing there -- in order to limit choices and competition when it comes to ketchup.

Kinda like beer.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:02 am

"Buying Budweiser = John McCain for President"?

So far, I don't see the problem. :?
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:44 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
Greg R. wrote:You know there's a Roger Baylor of the ketchup world out there somewhere who would find it absolutely appalling that you would put that rancid corporate tomato juice on your fries. The only reason you consume that product is because you are ignorant of the vast selection of micro-ketchup available.

An example of what I find appalling, other than failed humor, would be if the rancid coroprate ketchup maker decided to invest vast sums in a place like Louisville Slugger Field -- with the overt connivance of the ballclub playing there -- in order to limit choices and competition when it comes to ketchup.

Kinda like beer.

By the way, you should take it is a compliment that you get a little ribbing around here from time to time. I don't always agree with your posts, but i sure do enjoy them.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:38 am

Mark R. wrote:
Jeremy J wrote:
Mark R. wrote:Boycotts never are affected in achieving their goals.

Politics aside, this quote is just a grammatical train wreck. What does this even mean? Did you mean effective?

Jeremy, I'm sorry my writing is not up to your standards! Due to a temporary disability it is necessary for me to use speech recognition software to write and sometimes it and I did not think the same! I will try in the future to write to your standards. Actually I thought this was a food forum not a English grammar forum but I will try to do better.

It was a joke, dude. Chill out.
no avatar
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:18 pm

Meanwhile John McCain is not raising all that much moolah compared to the other candidates...
Barack Obama has raised enough to buy Bear Sterns (with an average donation of under $200 - I gave him $45), Hillary has raised as much as her and Billy made during the last 8 years.
Johnny has raised about a tenth of that.

Maybe people are buying less Budweiser???

to all of you on the forum who drink the "king of beers" keep on drinking.
to all of you who don't drink AB products, keep on drinking!

"oh, the times they are a-changing..." - some guy named Zimmerman
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:42 pm

I'd love some really kickass micro-ketchup. :lol:
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:56 pm

Greg R. wrote:
C. Devlin wrote:
Mark R. wrote:Pardon me but how is this any different than Mr. Kerrey's wife's money from her parents family business? Democrats probably forget that she has much more money than the McCain's which all came from the Heinz corporation and that she loaned much money to the campaign and Heinz Corp. officers and the company itself donated much money to his campaign.

We all know that politics in America is totally controlled by money and candidates both democrat and republican bend over backwards to do whatever it takes to get donations. While I respect individuals commitment to supporting a particular candidate or party I don't believe it's correct for a business to not carry a product because of the political connection of a supplier. It is a disservice to their customers, and a potential loss of business for them. Boycotts never are affected in achieving their goals.

Apart from the fundamental error here that Theresa Kerry's parents owned Heinz, everything else about this message is wrong too. She wasn't born into the Heinz family. She was born in Mozambique, her father was a Portugese physician, and she was married (1966) to John Heinz who was elected republican senator to Pennsylvania in 1976 and who died in an airplane crash in 1991. By the time she married John Kerry, she didn't own any part of the Heinz corporation, although she did manage the family's charitable endowments, particularly in the area of environmental causes. That was pretty broadly covered during the campaign. Unfortunately, early on in the campaign the emal spams had spread so many falsehoods about Theresa Heinz Kerry that people apparently didn't feel it was necessary to bother finding out what the actual truth was.

I think the point is that she got her money from ketchup. Lots of it...after some quick research...about 10 times what the McCains get from beer.

Sure, but if one's entire support for a point is in error it's sort of difficult to get behind the point.

Basic research 101: Make sure your argument is based on facts, otherwise you lose your credibility.
no avatar
User

S Cruz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:42 pm

401 East Main St. @ Slugger Field

by S Cruz » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:15 pm

Well ... the ABA, as I recall, created the "Standard American Lager" category simply to give the major breweries a place to play in the annual Great American Beer Festival judging, mostly because these light, low-flavor beers couldn't compete against the micros in the standard craft-beer styles.

none the less, knowing what it takes to make such a flavorless beer and being a fan of the process of brewing and great beer, it is what it is. a great example of such. also, i hardly find it fair to compare such a specific style of beer to a vague grouping of beers
micros in the standard craft-beer styles
. ask a brewer to make a 'standard american lager' and you will get a variation of the aforementioned style. it is what it is and a great example of this. i find it interesting that all are so quick to condemn bud (standard american lager) when it is so closely related in all aspect to beers like stella artois and heineken (which should be noted to be examples of premium american lager).

from the bjcp:

1B. Standard American Lager

Aroma: Little to no malt aroma, although it can be grainy, sweet or corn-like if present. Hop aroma may range from none to a light, spicy or floral hop presence. Low levels of yeast character (green apples, DMS, or fruitiness) are optional but acceptable. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Very pale straw to medium yellow color. White, frothy head seldom persists. Very clear.

Flavor: Crisp and dry flavor with some low levels of sweetness. Hop flavor ranges from none to low levels. Hop bitterness at low to medium-low level. Balance may vary from slightly malty to slightly bitter, but is relatively close to even. High levels of carbonation may provide a slight acidity or dry "sting." No diacetyl. No fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Light body from use of a high percentage of adjuncts such as rice or corn. Very highly carbonated with slight carbonic bite on the tongue.

Overall Impression: Very refreshing and thirst quenching.

Comments: Strong flavors are a fault. An international style including the standard mass-market lager from most countries.

Ingredients: Two- or six-row barley with high percentage (up to 40%) of rice or corn as adjuncts.
Vital Statistics:
OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.040 - 1.050 1.004 - 1.010 8 - 15 2 - 4 4.2 - 5.1%

C. Premium American Lager

Aroma: Low to medium-low malt aroma, which can be grainy, sweet or corn-like. Hop aroma may range from very low to a medium-low, spicy or floral hop presence. Low levels of yeast character (green apples, DMS, or fruitiness) are optional but acceptable. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Pale straw to gold color. White, frothy head may not be long lasting. Very clear.

Flavor: Crisp and dry flavor with some low levels of sweetness. Hop flavor ranges from none to low levels. Hop bitterness at low to medium level. Balance may vary from slightly malty to slightly bitter, but is relatively close to even. High levels of carbonation may provide a slight acidity or dry "sting." No diacetyl. No fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body from use of adjuncts such as rice or corn. Highly carbonated with slight carbonic bite on the tongue.

Overall Impression: Refreshing and thirst quenching, although generally more filling than standard/lite versions.

Comments: Premium beers tend to have fewer adjuncts than standard/lite lagers, and can be all-malt. Strong flavors are a fault, but premium lagers have more flavor than standard/lite lagers. A broad category of international mass-market lagers ranging from up-scale American lagers to the typical "import" or "green bottle" international beers found in America.

Ingredients: Two- or six-row barley with up to 25% rice or corn as adjuncts.
Vital Statistics:
OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.046 - 1.056 1.008 - 1.012 15 - 25 2 - 6 4.7 - 6%

not a great deal of difference. dare i say, we would need an exceptionally sensitive palate to distinguish the style differences. not to mention the possibility that one would be recieving a 'light struck example' of the "better beer". i guess all im saying, is give them a fair shot at what they do. all though i would order a different style as my choice, i can appreciate the consistently on point product that is sold. sorry about the book.
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:29 pm

Thats exactly how I feel about Coke vs Pepsi vs RC.....
no avatar
User

Chris Dunn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:34 pm

Shepherdsville

by Chris Dunn » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:51 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:

An example of what I find appalling, other than failed humor, ...

I thought it was pretty funny.
no avatar
User

BillAndrews

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:40 pm

by BillAndrews » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:38 pm

An example of what I find appalling, other than failed humor, ...

I thought it was pretty funny.

Me, too. Sensitive, I guess.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:46 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:I'd love some really kickass micro-ketchup. :lol:

At this point, a sack of sliders and some cheap swill will do the trick.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
PreviousNext