Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

Has anyone gone to the Grape Leaf lately??

by jpdurbin » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:35 am

I ran into Manoosh at Saffron’s yesterday and he was talking about the new Grape Leaf addition. According to him, the expansion really enhanced the environment. I’ve yet to eat there but it is ‘Manoosh approved’ so I may drop by. Has anyone else been there lately?
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Re: Has anyone gone to the Grape Leaf lately??

by Heather L » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:55 am

I have and I think it is better across the board! The renovated space is really nice, and the food is even better! Their salad is so good that I get serious cravings for it. Pine nuts, almonds, fresh mango or pineapple. YUMMY.

If you haven't been to the Grape Leaf in a while, I definitely suggest that you try it again.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Neal M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Louisville

by Neal M » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:08 am

Are these the same renovations completed months ago, expanding into the adjacent space, or have they done something new since then?
no avatar
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:34 am

We were in there a month ago.
It was very nice and the food was delicious!
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:50 am

We went after church with a group of 7. The renovation is great...really pretty in there and food was awesome as ever.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:20 am

I have eaten there about 5 times in the past year. The food is always good and the portions are generous. The prices are also very reasonable. My wife and I especially enjoy eating outside under the grape leaves during the warmer months. I highly recommend the place and find it to be the best Middle Eastern value in Louisville.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

SeanS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:27 pm

Fern Creek

by SeanS » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:31 pm

My wife and I have been there quite a few times in the past couple of months (once with friends, once with family, and a few times with just each other). The new addition (which is only into the adjacent space as Mike asked), really opens the place up and helps the building live up to the food. Before the addition, we felt a little cramped inside, but now there is ample seating and the tables don't feel so close to each other. I think the higher ceilings and the skylights help that as well. The decor is very simple and classy. The women in our party have even commented on how nice the new bathroom fixtures look, and in one case, led the others to make a trip en masse just to look. Heck, I'll even admit that the sinks are pretty cool. :wink:

Prior to the last couple of months, I believe the last time we ate at The Grape Leaf was about this time last year. I can't comment on the menu from a year ago, as I don't remember what it looked like clearly. My M.O. is to order whatever is the special -- it's always sure to please. However, the menu is now something like 8-10 pages, and I've sampled a few of the dishes my compatriots have ordered. Man, their food is excellent! I still typically order whatever's on special, although I still think about the salmon with the mango sauce since the one time last year I had it on special. Wow! I think I had a kufta plate last time I was there. Can't remember now. Regardless, as others who have been there can attest, you don't go home hungry. I don't think they let you.

And Heather's right, you have to go for the Greek salad. It's a must.

I've recommended The Grape Leaf many times to friends. I can't remember who recommended it to us, but I seriously owe them a night out.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:31 am

(Hope it is ok to bump an existing thread rather than start a new one, conservation and all)

Had brunch at the Grape Leaf today and it was quite good. We arrived around 1pm and the place was jumping, but we got a 4 top right away. After we sat, the remaining seats were almost immediately filled. Service was slow due to volume, but we were never hurried or ignored. We started with the Baba Ganooj which, as always, was amazing, so fresh and packed with flavor. Even our guest who didn't care for eggplant in general was won over! I ordered the Tomato, Basil, and many cheese Omelet, Aimee had the house salad + chicken, our guests ordered the Chicken Brie Sandwich and Chicken Gyro. Every dish was tops. My omelet was fat, loaded with gooey cheeses and fresh veggies. Aimee's salad was like 3 salads in one bowl (two of which we snacked on later at home!) and every bite was crisp and full of flavor. While I was too polite to ask for a bite of the Chicken Brie sandwich, it is on my radar for our next visit. The gyro was absolutely packed and smelled wonderful. Our guests were out-of-towners and were well pleased with our recommendation to eat there. It was even overheard toward the end of our meal that moving to Louisville for the fine cuisine might need to be made an option!

Overall another exceptional visit to The Grape Leaf! Well done everyone and thank you!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY