Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Cafe Lou Lou Favorites

no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Cafe Lou Lou Favorites

by Marsha L. » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm

Gretchen D. wrote:
Marsha L. wrote: Unfortunately I will not be there :(, but I want you to have a great time nonetheless.

Marsha, I am sorry I won't get to meet you! Thanks for the advice, I have made our reservation!!

If the bananas foster bread pudding is on the menu tonight, I will be having some of that... I can't resist bread pudding, no matter how good the lemon cake might be!!!

Get it while you can - this is the last batch until next fall! There were six pieces left when I left the restaurant a few minutes ago. Tell your server to put one aside for you when they take your drink order. I'm going back to old-fashioned banana pudding (with vanilla wafers) for the warmer months.

Sorry to have missed you, Jay! And I may bring coconut cake back for a guest appearance before the seasons change again.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:45 pm

Gretchen D. wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:No good deed goes unpunished . . . :?

Well, I stand corrected, then. Because you first stated that there were several other threads on this same topic (i.e., I should have found my answers by searching previous postings), it appeared to imply that my posting was irritatingly repetitive. I apologize for my apology for thinking I irritated you... if I am trying to "punish", I usually give a definitive spank. :lol:

Here is the thread I was thinking of. It has a lot of useful information for eats at Lou Lou.

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/hotbytes/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1456&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=cafe+lou+lou
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:53 pm

Thanks, Ron!! :D
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:04 pm

I love the pork tenderloin sandwich and always ask for hot sauce! I also love the Polenta App and usually any soup special is delish!! This is a great addition to St. Matthews!
no avatar
User

Laura B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 am

Miami, Florida

by Laura B » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:09 pm

Saint Matthews' gain is Clifton's loss. We sure miss having one of our favorite spots close by, but at least they didn't move tooooo far away.

Marsha, please give a shout "Hello" to Helen, Jim and Clay from Laura, Jim and Jade. :D
When in doubt, add more wine.
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:11 pm

We just returned from a rather large lunch at Cafe Lou Lou. Bob had the pasta special which was penne with shrimp and sun dried tomatoes with a tarragon cream sauce (this is his favorite dish) and I had the Mediteranian pizza. Both were wonderful. Also, we had both the lemon cake which was fabulous--so moist-- and the ginger peach sorbet topped with a splash of peach vodka. It was perfect to foil the roasted garlic on my pizza!!! The bananna bread pudding is to die for but you can't go wrong with any of these desserts. Go Marsha!!!
no avatar
User

Rick Adams

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:56 pm

by Rick Adams » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:03 pm

I went to lou lou last week and again yesterday with a friend. You have to try the shrimp and grits. With that being said i don't think there is a single thing on the menu to go wrong with. And i still have not tried Marshas desserts. Damn shrimp and grits.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:06 pm

Rick Adams wrote:I went to lou lou last week and again yesterday with a friend. You have to try the shrimp and grits. With that being said i don't think there is a single thing on the menu to go wrong with. And i still have not tried Marshas desserts. Damn shrimp and grits.

Rick, if I remember correctly, you make a mean shrimp and grits yourself. I will see you at the beer dinner.

Now, everyone repeat after me: "I'll take my dessert to go!"

:wink:
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:21 am

That's what we ended up having to do...take the cake to go!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:19 pm

After a busy weekend, I am happy to report that the girls and I had quite a nice dinner at Cafe Lou Lou and we all went home a little rounder than before! I ended up with the blue cheese polenta, a cup of mushroom soup, and shared the bread pudding for dessert. The serving of polenta was quite substantial, but I left none of it behind! I couldn't really taste much blue cheese, but the sauteed veggies on top were so tasty it didn't matter. The mushroom soup was delicious, but the polenta was a better value IMHO. I was happy there was a piece of the bananas foster bread pudding left, which I shared with a friend, even though I really didn't have room for it! One of my friends absolutley LOVES grits, so I insisted she order the shrimp & grits.... I wasn't offered a taste, but the sounds of her delight indicated they were as good as everyone said!!

Thanks so much for your advice on favorite dishes... and also to Marsha who recommended we make reservations... the place was PACKED at 6 P.M.!!! That was great to see.

We all left wondering how much baby asparagus Cafe Lou Lou's goes through in a week!!
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:23 pm

Gretchen D. wrote:We all left wondering how much baby asparagus Cafe Lou Lou's goes through in a week!!

Probably about 7 cases. That polenta sure is popular.

I've now got the old fashioned banana pudding (the kind with vanilla wafers) in place of the bread pudding...at least until cooler weather comes back in the fall.

I'm so glad you had a good time. Try us on a Wednesday next time for 1/2 price bottles of wine!
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:39 pm

I may have to drag the hubby back out (kicking and screaming, I'm sure) to try more things on the menu. We plan on going through every item on the menu at Cafe Lou Lou, just like we've planned to do at Mojito.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:05 pm

We visited Cafe Lou Lou again for dinner tonight, and tried Marsha's berries and champagne sorbet, and the banana pudding, both of which were soooo delicious. The coconut cake also lived up to its reputation as the best in town. To die for. I think she puts crack in the frosting....I just wanted to pick up my plate and lick it. :oops:
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:58 pm

I keep reading about these desserts.........I don't see this amount of praise, adoration, passion and respect elsewhere on this forum..... :D
Previous