Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Cafe Lou Lou Favorites

by Gretchen D. » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:13 pm

Tomorrow night is "Girls Night Out" and we are headed to Cafe Lou Lou! It is my first time and I am looking forward to it (OK, three young kids leads to staying home more than you'd like)!! Do you all have suggestions for your favorite dishes??

Marsha, I hope you will be there... you seem like an interesting person and I look forward to meeting you! We will be there around 6 P.M.
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

Re: Cafe Lou Lou Favorites

by Todd Pharris » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:53 pm

In the past I've enjoyed the shrimp and grits, the meatball sandwich (maybe the best meatball sandwich I've ever had), the four-cheese ravioli with shrimp and shitake mushrooms, and the Lou Lou pizza. Really, it's all good.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:20 pm

This is my plan for the next time I dine there. I shall order the Shrimp and Grits, the Muffaletta and a Bloody Mary or 3. Anyone want to join me? There will be plenty leftover to take home. Yummo.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:25 am

Gretchen D. wrote: Do you all have suggestions for your favorite dishes??

I really like their pizzas - the Mediterranean pie with eggplant, black olives and feta is a favorite - and the blue cheese polenta appetizer just blew me away the last time I was there. You pretty much can't miss with anything on the menu, though!
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:53 am

I think there are several threads already on what is the best dish at Cafe Lou Lou. For me it is meatball sandwich with the aioli.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:17 am

The hubby and I really enjoyed the Muffaletta sandwich and Potato Pizza, and the baked brie (our appetizer) was divine.

You MUST try Marsha's cake. We split a piece of her Lemon Cake. I must say, it was the best I've ever had, and I swear, she must put crack in the frosting.

The portions were HUGE. We ended up taking half of our dinner home.

Great experience, we'll be back! :mrgreen:
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Laura B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 am

Miami, Florida

by Laura B » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:59 am

Todd Pharris wrote:In the past I've enjoyed the shrimp and grits, the meatball sandwich (maybe the best meatball sandwich I've ever had), the four-cheese ravioli with shrimp and shitake mushrooms, and the Lou Lou pizza. Really, it's all good.

I agree with Todd on the four cheese ravioli with shrimp and shitake mushrooms, a half portion is just right with the Seasonal Salad. And the pizzas are GREAT! I love the Roasted Chicken and my husband can never resist the Smoked Salmon.
When in doubt, add more wine.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:54 am

Ron Johnson wrote:I think there are several threads already on what is the best dish at Cafe Lou Lou.

Not had your A.M. coffee yet, Ron??? Sorry to bore or irritate you with my post. :lol:

I do appreciate everyone's specific suggestions... I know it takes time out of your busy day for you all to respond. Since I don't get to do this too often, I just wanted to be confident that I am making the most of my night! What I found in old posts were a few dishes specifically recommended, and then "pizzas", but not which ones were favorites. There has been much talk about Marsha's desserts, but the 7 month old post "What to order at Cafe Lou Lou's?" seemed to get hijacked to discussing websites rather than food. Also, since I have never been there and I am not familiar with their menu, I wasn't sure if there might be some fabulous new seasonal items on the menu which were not previously mentioned.

So much of what you all have mentioned sounds good! Right now I am torn between the blue cheese polenta (Thanks for the suggestion, Robin, I LOVE polenta) and the muffaletta. Does anyone know if they do half sandwiches? Maybe then I could order both!!! And still have room for dessert??? :shock: ... we need an icon on this board of a little piggy!!
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:41 am

The Muffaletta is HUGE, and will easily feed 2 hungry people. If the brie appetizer is available, jump on it, it was amazing.
It was served with red pepper chutney, figs, dried cranberries, pears, apples, and pita bread. It would have made a fantastic lunch, as well.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:09 pm

I second Robin's suggestion of the Blue Cheese Polenta. It is hard for me to go into Lou Lou and order anything else.
Warning- if I eat the whole portion I don't have room for Marsha's desserts, and that is not a good thing.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:29 pm

Gretchen, I don't have too much time to post now (lunch rush), but if you make a reservation, I can make sure they look out for you guys. Unfortunately I will not be there :(, but I want you to have a great time nonetheless.

We do not do half sandwiches, but you can definitely split one with someone at your table.

And...my favorite thing on the menu is the spinach and tomato lavash appetizer.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:48 pm

We had dinner at CLL last evening. I had the muffaletta sandwich, and had no problem consuming the whole thing :oops: other than one bite I grudgingly gave up to my lovely wife. She had the asparagus and mascarpone ravioli with a sauce containing dill and salmon. I snuck a bite (fair is fair) - wonderful flavor. Dessert, the Bananas Foster Bread Pudding, had us scraping the white from the china. I had my heart set on the Coconut Cake many have raved about, but it has moved on.

Yesterday (Wednesday) was half-price-bottles-of-wine night and there were more tables with wine than without. That seems like a very popular promotion. This included the couple at the bar with a bottle of wine and a side glass full of ice. The ice went into the wine ala Kool-Aid. Server, Cameron, was quite the enthusiastic personality and did a great job.

Marsha, we knew you weren't there last night, but we turned and waved to the kitchen, anyway. We're working our way through the entire dessert menu...
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:58 pm

Gretchen D. wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:I think there are several threads already on what is the best dish at Cafe Lou Lou.

Not had your A.M. coffee yet, Ron??? Sorry to bore or irritate you with my post. :lol:

I do appreciate everyone's specific suggestions...

I am confused. Why do you think that response was bored or irritated? You asked for everyone's favorite dish. I said mine was the meatball sandwich.

I also thought you might like to know that there are other threads on the site that have a bunch more posts about the best things to eat at Cafe Lou Lou so you could see those too.

No good deed goes unpunished . . . :?
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:18 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:No good deed goes unpunished . . . :?

Well, I stand corrected, then. Because you first stated that there were several other threads on this same topic (i.e., I should have found my answers by searching previous postings), it appeared to imply that my posting was irritatingly repetitive. I apologize for my apology for thinking I irritated you... if I am trying to "punish", I usually give a definitive spank. :lol:
Last edited by Gretchen D. on Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:22 pm

Marsha L. wrote: Unfortunately I will not be there :(, but I want you to have a great time nonetheless.

Marsha, I am sorry I won't get to meet you! Thanks for the advice, I have made our reservation!!

If the bananas foster bread pudding is on the menu tonight, I will be having some of that... I can't resist bread pudding, no matter how good the lemon cake might be!!!
Next