Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

Now Dbl Shotz is for sale too

by Matthew Landan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:06 am

Wholesale & Retail Coffee business for sale - $49000
Reply to: sale-623343697@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-03-29, 6:06PM EDT

Double Shots LLC is looking for a new owner, We have spent the last 5 years building a quality coffee roasting & retail business and it is time to pass the torch due to some life changes. Careful prep on an expandable business model with turn-key option available and over a 1200 pounds of fresh green coffee ready to roast & sell. 12 pound sivetz coffee roaster with new retail packaging equipment, over $5,000 in inventory and $35,000 in F&E, a debt free 5 year old LLC and web-site. Customized Coffee & inventory managment touch screen POS system. Super landlord and low overhead of $600.00 month for extended lease terms at the current location can be arranged . Looking for a quick sale and will consider southern indiana real estate in partial trade for the business. Full training and quality employees are interested in staying with the new management. Serious Inquiries only please and a desire and love of the bean is important if you are the right person to take this company to the next level.

What's going on this week. Coffee shops are going up for sale like crazy...
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Now Dbl Shotz is for sale too

by Ron Johnson » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:19 am

Pretty soon the word "coffee" will be changed to "starbucks".

edit:

of course when I wrote that, I had not yet learned this:

Starbucks plan to purchase upscale coffee system maker Clover has created a lot of unrest among independent coffee houses, upscale restaurants, and others. Once the deal is done, the pricey machines will not be available to other than Starbucks locations.

:shock:
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:35 pm

never,
just say no
to starbucks
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:02 pm

Who cares about the Clover...
Who the hell can afford a 20,000$ coffee maker other than Starchucks? Or the best of the best on the coasts.
Would you be willing to pay $5 or more for single origin single brewed Clover cups of coffee? even at that price a shop would have to sell some 4,000 cups just to pay off the machine. If you lower the price then raise the number of cups sold.
I don't have a single customer that even knows what a clover is, let alone cares.
The Clover makes a great cup but it's like the uber-cool Segway, a niche product.
Maybe Stabucks can make them work and make them profitable on a national scale? They are the mass market. It would be good for coffee drinkers nationwide if they can pull it off.
But will they be selling an 8oz cup of Clover coffee for a dollar or even two??
I doubt it. I have no fear of the clover or starchucks.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:03 pm

Matthew Crow wrote:Who cares about the Clover...
Who the hell can afford a 20,000$ coffee maker other than Starchucks? Or the best of the best on the coasts.
Would you be willing to pay $5 or more for single origin single brewed Clover cups of coffee? even at that price a shop would have to sell some 4,000 cups just to pay off the machine. If you lower the price then raise the number of cups sold.
I don't have a single customer that even knows what a clover is, let alone cares.
The Clover makes a great cup but it's like the uber-cool Segway, a niche product.
Maybe Stabucks can make them work and make them profitable on a national scale? They are the mass market. It would be good for coffee drinkers nationwide if they can pull it off.
But will they be selling an 8oz cup of Clover coffee for a dollar or even two??
I doubt it. I have no fear of the clover or starchucks.

You're missing the point. This isn't about "fearing" Clover machines. It is about the power that Starbucks wields in the market.
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:56 pm

Starbucks power comes solely from economy of scale.
The power to purchase 2,000 Clovers for 20 million dollars?
Or the power to introduce 20 million people to better coffee?
I don't think it would be bad for the industry for Starbucks to purchase 2000 Clovers.
I really think drip coffee is the least tasty way to prepare the beverage.
Let's make drip coffee obsolete. I would love it if my customers allowed me to French press or vacuum pot every cup individually.

But they still are closing more than 100 shops in the US and their share price is not rising on the back of this deal.
Today it's up slightly but it's still off it's 52 week high by about 16$.
They have years of difficult competition and restructuring ahead.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.