Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Nancy Nelson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:26 am

Re: Dinner at Varanese

by Nancy Nelson » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:43 pm

All right then!!!1 Don't want anybody to miss a great meal!
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:19 am

We went there last night on your suggestion, Nancy, and planned to have appetizers at the bar. We arrived rather late (10:30-ish) and expected to find them wrapping up the evening. Not so. The remnants of a 50-guest birthday bash were still in full party mode and the bar was packed. Good to see.

We took a two-top and ordered dinner - prosciutto-wrapped chicken breast w/ risotto for me and the V-burger for K. The chicken dish was a large portion - twice as much as I needed. It was tender, juicy, and the prosciutto added wonderful flavor. The risotto was tasty but maybe a little too stiff. Service was friendly and attentive and Chef Varanese was visible, making the rounds to the tables. He told us he's an Azalea alum (I didn't know that).

We thoroughly enjoyed the place and nice to know it's open late - until midnight on the weekends. Thanks for reminding us.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:55 pm

Jay M. wrote: He told us he's an Azalea alum (I didn't know that).

Not only an alum, but I think he was the opening chef at Azaleas.
Last edited by Steve Shade on Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Steve Shade wrote:Not only an alum, but I he was the opening chef at Azaleas.

Didn't know that. Do you remember the cat in the place? My wife and a friend ate there (Azalea) on one occasion and happened to look up to see a black cat peering down at them from above the suspended ceiling. Last night Chef John said he adopted the cat (still has him) before leaving Azalea after coaxing him out of hiding using a box of anchovies!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:47 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Steve Shade wrote:Not only an alum, but I he was the opening chef at Azaleas.

Didn't know that. ...

Okay, now I'm sitting over here trying to decide whether to be miffed that none of you guys retained this factoid from my September 2007 review. ;)

" ... this new dining room - it opened Aug. 20 in the former Red Lounge - is named for its owner and chef, John Varanese; and that’s not a bad thing, not bad at all.

Varanese, who’s been chef at U of L’s posh, private Cardinal Club golf club near Simpsonville and before that executive chef at Azalea, has put his personal stamp on a totally renovated Red Lounge. Indeed, if you’ve been missing the recently closed Azalea, you may find some consolation in Veranese’s somewhat similar upscale casual bill of fare.
"
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:...none of you guys retained this factoid from my September 2007 review. ;)

I plead stupidity and old age. Also, it's likely the brain cells that retained that factoid passed on a number of months ago. :oops:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:44 pm

Jay M. wrote:I plead stupidity and old age. Also, it's likely the brain cells that retained that factoid passed on a number of months ago. :oops:

You're being way too tough on yourself, Jay! I really was just grabbing an opportunity to show off how smart I was. This happens way too seldom to suit me ...
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:45 am

I understand that the menu is not only similar to Azalea's, but actually has some of the same dishes. This is good to know for the many people who are miffed about Azalea closing its doors.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Mon May 05, 2008 9:31 pm

Tajana and i had dinner there tonight

Wonderful
everything was excellent

i had the salmon and tajana had the mahi mahi

plus there is a decent beer list, i was able to have a samuel smith nut brown with dinner (it is heavy on the domestic flavorless varieties, but Westmalle and Ommegang make an appearance on the list as well)
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Daniel Worley

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:36 pm

North East Louisville

by Daniel Worley » Tue May 06, 2008 11:43 am

My wife and I have had just about everything on the menu and loved everything (some more than others, but never a dissappointment). The most surprising item was the pork chop. It was one of the last things we tried because everything else looked more "interesting", and it was amazing. One of those relevatory food moments where you think to yourself "I didn't know a pork-chop could be this good!" Anyway, we're huge fans.

D
no avatar
User

Erica S

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:24 am

St. Matthews

by Erica S » Tue May 06, 2008 12:50 pm

We love Varanese! My husband and I like to order the appetizer platter, adding the Feta cheese queso onto the order as well. The atmosphere is wonderful and our service has always been great! It is always a little shock when walking in though remembering the Red Lounge days and how much they have changed the building. The only drawback that we have is that the bar is so small, its beautiful but small. :D
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue May 06, 2008 5:16 pm

Erica S wrote:My husband and I like to order the appetizer platter, adding the Feta cheese queso onto the order as well. :D

We like to do that at Varanese also . . . we have the appetizer platter, add one special (main dish or app), and that's enough for a light dinner for the two of us (tend to do that if we eat early, around 5 or so, or if we eat after a play, around 10:30)
Andrew Mellman
Previous