Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

Slightly off topic - math + science = food?

by Melissa Richards-Person » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:13 am

Hi to all fellow foodies!

Bet you thought I was going to talk about molecular gastronomy here!?

Semi-frequent poster Melissa Richards here. I am part of a Leadership Louisville program that is working on building awareness of the need for advanced math and science education in JCPS. New world-class standards and curriculum are coming, and the community doesn't necessarily see the need, as many people don't understand how chemistry, physics, trig and geometry apply in everyday life.

So, our team came up with the idea of hanging banners at area businesses with "surprising" messages about how advanced math and science are at work in things we take for granted. For example - we couldn't make coffee without Chemistry, and you couldn't brew it without Physics; so, we are asking local coffee shops to hang a banner that says "Your Coffee Brought to You by Chemistry (or Physics). Dough rises through chemical reactions, so: "Your Pizza Brought to you by Chemistry" or "Your Beer Brought to you by Biology"

You get the point.

We are asking for the owners of coffee shops, restaurants, pizza places, bakeries, microbreweries and other appropriate businesses on the forum to consider hanging a banner at their business from April 15 - May 15.

Thanks to Andrew Hutto, who has already forwarded our request to all of the LO's for their help, and to Wick's Pizza, Tony Boombozz on Frankfort and BBC on Shelbyville who have already agreed to hang banners for us! Metro Planning and Zoning has signed off on this (yes, in writing) because it is done in support of a JCPS initiative, so that piece is covered.

I have all the details in outline form, and can send them to anyone who e-mails me at melrich44@yahoo.com or you can post here and I can reply to you. All of the creative has been donated, and the printing is being done through donations from UPS and GE.

Thanks a lot for your help!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Slightly off topic - math + science = food?

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:15 am

Melissa Richards wrote:We are asking for the owners of coffee shops, restaurants, pizza places, bakeries, microbreweries and other appropriate businesses on the forum to consider hanging a banner at their business from April 15 - May 15.

Great concept, Melissa! We'll be glad to help any way we can.
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

The 'burbs of the Ville

by Melissa Richards-Person » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:46 am

Thanks Robin!

We have been pleased with the reaction - our only snag has honestly been the individual landlords, not business owners. Hoping to get a good response to add to our current commitments.
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

by Holly C » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:46 pm

I assume you're targeting businesses directly as well, but you might try City Cafe. I'm sure that especially the one at the UofL Health Sciences campus would be willing to help out -- about a million scientists and students and health professionals eat there every day :)
no avatar
User

todd richards

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:00 am

Does JCC...

by todd richards » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:05 pm

Does JCC offer a course in molecular gastronomy and/or teach itduring a course study? I come in contact with a lot of potential students and some ask the questions where can they learn about the food Grant, Ferran etc. are doing.
no avatar
User

Madi D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Highlands

SB1 and SB2

by Madi D » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:35 pm

SB 1 and SB 2 would have been extremly benificial to math and science advancement in public schools. Its too bad JCTA worked so diligently to kill both these bills.
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

Why Mathematics counts ;)

by jpdurbin » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:09 pm

As I was sipping a beer and studying Physics I found a topic for Mathematics’ History class paper. I actually wrote a paper on Physics and beer explained where you must have Mathematics to enjoy both…You can’t brew beer without a recipe (quantity and time measurements) and cannot explain Physics without Mathematics. Received an ‘A’ and an ‘Interesting perspective’ from my professor.
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: Why Mathematics counts ;)

by TP Lowe » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:34 pm

jpdurbin wrote:As I was sipping a beer and studying Physics I found a topic for Mathematics’ History class paper. I actually wrote a paper on Physics and beer explained where you must have Mathematics to enjoy both…You can’t brew beer without a recipe (quantity and time measurements) and cannot explain Physics without Mathematics. Received an ‘A’ and an ‘Interesting perspective’ from my professor.

Off the subject, but I just realized you are the JP from the WHAS show that used to be on - I'd listen to while mowing on my tractor! Sorry the way they have taken so much local content off during the weekends (hey, Robin, sort of like Gannett!). Anyway, glad to see you here.
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

The 'burbs of the Ville

THANKS to BBC TAP Room at Clay and Main!

by Melissa Richards-Person » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:36 pm

An Update - Thanks to Scott and David at the BBC Tap Room at Clay and Main who have agreed to hang a banner for our group!!!

We'll keep all posted on the unveiling and all the locations!

P.S. - We are trying to be apolitical here, so please, can we keep this thread focused on thoughts of owners and businesses that might be willing to hang a banner for us?

Thanks much!
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

The 'burbs of the Ville

by Melissa Richards-Person » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:38 pm

...and of course comments about beer and physics - and food and molecular gastronomy! :D
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:45 pm

Melissa Richards wrote:...and of course comments about beer and physics - and food and molecular gastronomy! :D

Speaking of Physics:
Yesterdays Pearls Before Swine Comic
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

BDKollker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Outside the Box Nashvegas

by BDKollker » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:22 pm

In working with Dana Allen of Brown Forman she posed a question on wether I would be willing to do a presentation for a group of students using our products with Molecular Bartending. I need to get in contact with her about this, or Melissa if you have any information on when and if you would want my services I would be happy to accomidate.
Blake Kollker

Blakekollker.com
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

The 'burbs of the Ville

by Melissa Richards-Person » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:36 am

Hi Bd -

Dana is also in our Bingham Fellows/Leadership Louisville class, but in a different small work group - same goal (promotion of the need for the advanced math and science curriculum), but different audience and different tactic.

So, you should continue to work with her on this part of the initiative. The 35 or so in our class are divided into 6 work groups, each working on a project for two separate project cycles.

Thanks for what you are doing!