Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

Upland Beer Tasting @ Keg Liquors Thursday

by Todd Antz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks to Robin for letting me post this.

Join us as we welcome the Upland Brewing company and local favorite Eileen "Ale Leen" Martin for a special beer tasting. Eileen is part of the great brewing team at Upland, so stop by and check out her work. Here is the lineup:

Upland Wheat Ale - Light on the tongue and easy going, our Wheat Ale is made with 50% wheat malt and spiced with coriander and orange peel

Upland Dragonfly IPA - a malty and hoppy brew. Note the clean malty fullness on the front of the palate with fruity citrus overtones.

Upland Bad Elmer's Porter - Creamy chocolate flavors combine with a lightly roasted finish and superb body to balance this traditional brown porter.

Upland Chocolate Stout - A very dark, robust beer. Chocolate, pale, and roasted malts, rolled oats and spicy hops were used to brew this beer, promoting a coffee-like flavor with hint s of dark bitter chocolate.

Upland Ard Ri - An Irish King visits Upland in time for St. Pat's. Ard Ri is an Imperial Irish Red Ale with an 8.7 abv. States Upland Head Brewer Caleb Staton: "It's awesome"

Mystery Brew - Who knows which seasonal Eileen will be bringing with her? You'll have to show up and see what she will be sampling.

All bottled beers in the tasting will be $1 off their regular price the day of the tasting.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Upland Beer Tasting @ Keg Liquors Thursday

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:02 pm

Todd Antz wrote:Join us as we welcome the Upland Brewing company and local favorite Eileen "Ale Leen" Martin for a special beer tasting. Eileen is part of the great brewing team at Upland, so stop by and check out her work.

Great tasting, Todd! I hope I can get over. A lot of local beer folks remember Eileen from a number of jobs around town. Heck, I'm trying to remember them all myself! Wasn't she the first brewer at Browning's? Also worked at The Silo way back when? Maybe BBC also? I'd love to catch up with her for a pint or two.

Upland is based in Bloomington, isn't it?
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Todd Antz wrote:Join us as we welcome the Upland Brewing company and local favorite Eileen "Ale Leen" Martin for a special beer tasting. Eileen is part of the great brewing team at Upland, so stop by and check out her work.

Great tasting, Todd! I hope I can get over. A lot of local beer folks remember Eileen from a number of jobs around town. Heck, I'm trying to remember them all myself! Wasn't she the first brewer at Browning's? Also worked at The Silo way back when? Maybe BBC also? I'd love to catch up with her for a pint or two.

Robin,

Yes on Browning's, Silo, and on Upland being based in Bloomington. Not sure about BBC.

It also sounds like Caleb, their head brewer might be making the trip as well. I think the lure of Rich O's and Gravity Head might be pulling some more of their staff down here for the tasting.
Keg Liquors

Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:53 pm

whoooooo hoooooo
free upland beer and a louisville original to boot
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:27 am

Robin Garr wrote:

Aleleen, as she is known to friends, was my assistant at the Silo. She took the reins there when I left to start-up BBC. She left the Silo when the originals closed shop in late 1995(?). Eileen designed and commissioned the brewhouse @ Browning's Brewery working there as the original Brewster. She joined Upland a couple years ago as a cellar-person and quickly moved into the second brewer position. Between the Silo and Browning's she worked with beer as a salesperson for BeerHouse Distributing, as a salesperson/installer for DME Brewing Services and as beer buyer/geek for the Party Source in Springhurst.

She does very good work for Upland. It will be interesting to see what "mystery" brew she'll bring.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:54 pm

upland scored a great brewer
glad they sent her back down here to sling some beer to the locals

the SILO was my first microbrewery experience (although it may not have been exactly legal) and certainly shaped the "beer cheese" of the Louisville area and showed several important Louisville beer folks that it could be done

the infamous beer cheese at the NABC evolved from the beer cheese soup served at the SILO

hope everyone rushes over to Clarksville to enjoy some fine Indiana beer brewed by a former Kentuckian

- plus Todd has a great selection of beer to choose from

(- Upland Beers are now available at Wal-Mart stores in Indiana - note i despise the store, but i'm very pleased to see a small town brewery's beer being sold on their shelves - my beer rep told me today, i have not seen it with my own eyes -)

if you're in Clarksville buy your Upland from the KEG Liquors

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:52 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:upland scored a great brewer
glad they sent her back down here to sling some beer to the locals

the SILO was my first microbrewery experience (although it may not have been exactly legal) and certainly shaped the "beer cheese" of the Louisville area and showed several important Louisville beer folks that it could be done

the infamous beer cheese at the NABC evolved from the beer cheese soup served at the SILO

shawn

I was lucky Eileen was working for a friend of mine pre-Silo. I had to call and ask for his blessing before I could offer her the job. Luckily the guy was a beer drinker and sent her with his best wishes. The rest is (local) history.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:56 am

I received word on the mystery brews from Upland. The first is their “Preservation Pilsener” (Bohemian Style) that they are looking to release on a regular basis. Eileen said that this was the first recipe she brought to Upland, and they might be looking to brew this year round. The second is their “Nut Hugger” Brown Ale, which is available only at the Brewery at this time. Of course, knowing my love of a good brown ale, you'll probably hear me pestering the Upland folks half the night that they should do this one year round as well!

On a side note, U of L does not tip off until almost 10:00 tonight, and for you Hilltopper fans, they don't tip off until 9:40, so no tournament excuses for not showing up tonight!
Keg Liquors

Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
User

Richard Rush

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:36 am

by Richard Rush » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:09 pm

Thanks for the samples. I managed to grab 3 6-packs and a couple bottles of liquor while I was there. I guess that will get me thru the UL game. Go Cards!