Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

PR: Jimmy John's opens downtown; Hurstbourne shop coming

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:46 am

<I>Okay, it's a chain, but I confess: I like 'em. At this point in its corporate history, they still seem to understand that quality sells.</i>

<b>Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwich Shops Opens Store in Downtown Louisville</b>
Local franchisee plans to open additional restaurants in 2007

Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwich Shops opened its third Louisville location today. Jimmy John’s local franchisee is Slugger Subs, Inc., which is owned and operated by Bret Bryan, Zach Irle and Kyle Kurasek of Louisville, Ky.

Jimmy John’s newest store is located at 415 W. Jefferson Street, in the retail front of the Aegon Center parking garage. The store will be open Sunday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Friday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 a.m. “Our goal is to meet the midday lunch needs of the Central Business District and the hunger of late night crowds associated with Fourth Street Live. We believe catering and lunch delivery will comprise a large percent of the store’s sales,” said Kurasek.

Jimmy John’s opened its first location in the Derby City last August at 3901 Dutchmans Lane. The Dutchmans Lane restaurant is open daily from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Slugger Subs, Inc. opened its second store at 4000 Shelbyville Road in January 2007, which is opened Sunday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Friday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 12 a.m.

Slugger Subs, Inc. will open a fourth Jimmy John’s store at 1321 Hurstbourne Lane. The restaurant will be located at the former site of a Burger King. Jimmy John’s co-tenant will be a Starbucks, and is expected to open in late June of 2007. Slugger Subs, Inc. plans to open a fifth location in Louisville during the fall of this year. Each store has approximately 30 employees.

Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwich Shops was founded in 1983 by 19-year-old Jimmy John Liautaud in a converted garage in Charleston, Ill. The company has grown to more than 500 corporate and franchised locations in more than 34 states and two countries. For more information, visit
http://www.jimmyjohns.com
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:45 pm

:D I read the first few lines and had to sit down....I even cleaned my glasses just in case..... :D have to give them a try.... :D
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:13 pm

Ugh they are colocating with a Starbucks? There's already 1 billion of those monstrosities in taht area.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:25 pm

Bring em on.... :lol:
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:52 pm

Like the sandwiches, but the kettle-style chips have got to go....
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:54 am

We stopped by the St. Matthews location on Saturday for a late lunch. Honestly, I know it's just a sandwich, but I didn't like a single thing about it. I meant to order the veggie club, somehow ended up with a veggie sub. Doesn't really matter - they have 2 veggie sandwiches that to me read exactly the same other than the bread it came on.

It probably had 1/2 pound of Provolone, 1/2 pound of lettuce, a couple slices of cucumber and tomatos and some mayo. Bread was ok. But this sandwich had NO flavor. AT all

I went back up and got some oil & vinegar to put on top. THen I went back for some salt & pepper packets - didn't really help.

I won't be back! Nothing bad or offensive about it - but there are MUCH better sandwiche choices in town for me personally.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:24 pm

Heather L wrote:I won't be back! Nothing bad or offensive about it - but there are MUCH better sandwich choices in town for me personally.

It's not my favorite, but in fairness, the veggie club I had there, on their multi-grain bread, did impress me to the extent that I wolfed it down even though I had already had lunch. :)
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:45 pm

Edward and I went Friday for dinner, it was not great, but adequate. The prices are fair for the size of the sandwiches we had, especially with a teenager involved. There was only 2 other customers there at 7:00 PM, and the week end is the only time they are open after 6:00 PM. I was looking at the veggie sands, but went with roast beef. I would not go out of my way to go there - in fact almost didn't because of parking (can't walk far right now - being "fixed" Wed 8) ).
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:19 pm

I went to the one by Nortons Suburban. Not bad, not great. It's a sandwich place.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:30 pm

After my trip to Chicago over the weekend I can see why they are colocating with Starbucks. This chain is one of those plague like chains that opens up 830856289658923659482365 lcoations in a 5 block radius. There's no need for there to be that many of anything commercial.
User

Ned Weatherby

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 pm

LaGrange

Lunch

by Ned Weatherby » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:17 pm

Been there past 2 days and overall not bad. I had the beach club today and it was tasty and not that expensive. Had the jalapeno chips and enjoyed them also.
Good Eats
no avatar
User

SheilaB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:49 pm

Louisville

Deli Tray Blah

by SheilaB » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:13 pm

I was very excited to see a "gourmet" sandwich shop opening around the corner from my office. I went to JJs yesterday and was extremely disappointed. It seemed like pretty standard deli tray stuff - turkey, roast beef, tuna, processed cheese, provolone, LOTS of mayo on everything. They also managed to mess-up both my order (I asked for no sprouts) and my colleague's order (he wanted mustard instead of mayo).

On a positive note - had lunch at Manhattan Grill (7th between jefferson and main) today and it was quite tasty.

Still in search of more good answer to the eternal question of, "Where do you want to have lunch today?"

Sheila