Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

LEO-LHB; Incredible Daves flawed inspiration

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:42 pm

Many thanks to Kevin Gibson for an ounstanding job in the LEO LHB pulpit this week. Cheers to him!
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=227
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: LEO-LHB; Incredible Daves flawed inspiration

by Bedford Crenshaw » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:18 am

I already got that impression from Incredible Dave's before reading the review. Still, nice to hear the confirmation.
Have you hugged your penguin today?
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:24 am

I will be surprised if the IPL inspectors don't show up. You can't have kids sitting in the bar, can you?
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:57 am

Any bar area has to be segregated from the rest of the restaurant with some sort of delineation line like a wall or half wall. If kids are found within that area, well, it could be a bad bad thing endangering their liquor license. This habit of allowing kids not only in the bar area but actually sitting at the bar shows either ignorance of licensing laws or appalling disregard.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Laura B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 am

Miami, Florida

by Laura B » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:42 pm

I can think of several examples where the "bar" is not segregated from the dining room at all: Jack Fry's, Melillo's, Ramsi's and Palermo Viejo, for example. My husband and I have been dining out with our daughter, who is now 14, since she was an infant. We have waited for a table at restaurants all over town at the bar, both sitting and standing, and we have only been told we could not do so and asked to wait elsewhere twice in all that time. What exactly are the rules on this? Does anyone know :?:
When in doubt, add more wine.
no avatar
User

Stacy Roof

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Louisville, KY

by Stacy Roof » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:19 pm

I believe minors are not allowed to sit at the bar. They are permitted to sit at tables in the area of the bar if accompanied by someone over 21.
Stacy Roof
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:02 pm

Stacy Roof wrote:I believe minors are not allowed to sit at the bar. They are permitted to sit at tables in the area of the bar if accompanied by someone over 21.

That has been my understanding if it is a bar/restaurant. If it a bar only, like our Taproom, no minors are allowed, period.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Stacy Roof

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Louisville, KY

by Stacy Roof » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:14 pm

Exactly. I should have clarified I was referring to a bar in a restaurant.
Stacy Roof
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:37 am

Laura B wrote:I can think of several examples where the "bar" is not segregated from the dining room at all: Jack Fry's, Melillo's, Ramsi's and Palermo Viejo, for example. My husband and I have been dining out with our daughter, who is now 14, since she was an infant. We have waited for a table at restaurants all over town at the bar, both sitting and standing, and we have only been told we could not do so and asked to wait elsewhere twice in all that time. What exactly are the rules on this? Does anyone know :?:

I think there's a BIG difference in the atmosphere of the above mentioned restaurants and Incredible Dave's unless Jack Fry's has added a ball jump that I'm not aware of. None of the restaurants you mentioned promote themselves as a family or kid friendly atmosphere (although you can certainly take your kids) and ID does identify themselves along those lines. I stand by what I said earlier and bet that if ID wants to keep the concept they are promoting ... food - games - alcohol... they may find themselves making some carpentry changes.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:47 am

carla griffin wrote:I think there's a BIG difference in the atmosphere of the above mentioned restaurants and Incredible Dave's unless Jack Fry's has added a ball jump that I'm not aware of. None of the restaurants you mentioned promote themselves as a family or kid friendly atmosphere (although you can certainly take your kids) and ID does identify themselves along those lines. I stand by what I said earlier and bet that if ID wants to keep the concept they are promoting ... food - games - alcohol... they may find themselves making some carpentry changes.

Carla, I think you have hit the nail right on the head. Good call!
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:56 am

Well, I know one place I WILL NOT take my grandkids to when they visit. If he wants to let the drunks to play in the ball pool, make it an adults only playgound. I understand the need for an adult beverage on ocassion, but the stories I have seen here and heard from other sources make me worry about the safety of those children going home with intoxicated drivers, too. :(
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Laura B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 am

Miami, Florida

by Laura B » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:37 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:
Stacy Roof wrote:I believe minors are not allowed to sit at the bar. They are permitted to sit at tables in the area of the bar if accompanied by someone over 21.

That has been my understanding if it is a bar/restaurant. If it a bar only, like our Taproom, no minors are allowed, period.

Stacy and David, thank you for your responses. What you're saying has always been my belief and understanding as well, and I posted my question hoping someone could confirm that once and for all. Maybe the owner of a restaurant with a 'non-segregated' bar could help us out? :)
When in doubt, add more wine.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:02 am

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/244-00/085.PDF
The above link was all I could find on line regarding KY Liq. laws. Item #6 seems to cover what we've been addressing in this thread, however, everything seems to be written rather vaguely. It mentions nothing about minors [i]sitting at the bar[i][/i][/i and yet anyone that's ever been in the restaurant business knows that allowing that is a no no.
Elevated bar areas with 1/2 walls around them in restaurants such as Fridays and Applebees are not just aesthetically designed. They serve as a demarcation of the bar area allowing ABC regulators some sort of footing when reviewing complaints about minors in establishments where alcohol is served. There may or may not be a LAW that says a restaurant MUST do it but most family restaurants frequently do.
Carla
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:48 am

I was practically raised in Fat Cats. No permanent scars.
no avatar
User

Elliot Bottomley

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:42 pm

St. Matthews

by Elliot Bottomley » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:21 pm

The way it was described to me when we first went over all the laws and in conversation with officials was that anyone underaged cannot sit directly at the bar. They can sit at a table in the bar area as long as food is still served in that area. If there is a time that your establishment ceases to serve food (like we do an hour before endig bar service) then you must kick all the youngins out.
Next