Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Justin Gilbert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:12 am

Guinness Gelato from Gelato Gilberto

by Justin Gilbert » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:17 am

:mrgreen: Yes, it's true! We have stout gelato made with Guinness stout. Stop by and try some, or give us a call and we will bring some out to you if you like. This is not a gratuitously strange gelato; the guinness and walnut go together in an egg-based gelato (crema for you italian speakers...) to make a delicious and properly sweet gelato. A perfect dessert for St. Patrick's Day meal plans. We can be reached at 423.7751 or 807.5071.

In a quick non-food note: My wife, Kristin, and our children are still in Italy, where my daughter goes to school. From time to time Kristin helps the English teacher at the local school with guest lessons on American Holidays. Next week, she was scheduled to talk to the class about St. Patrick's day. Unfortunately, the teacher could not grasp, despite Kristin's best efforts, that 1. St. Patrick's is an Irish-themed holiday, but really everyone celebrates it, 2. Although important in Ireland, it finds its biggest expression in America, and finally 3. That it is all-day festival, often involving lots of drinking, not a religious Saints Day involving special masses and observations. Oh well maybe next year...
Justin Gilbert
co-owner
Gelato Gilberto
justin@gelatogilberto.com
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

Re: Guinness Gelato from Gelato Gilberto

by Clay Cundiff » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:27 pm

Beer flavored ice creams and gelatos can be delicious. The missus made a fantastic bourbon barrel stout ice cream featuring some of David Pierce's extra aged reserve batch for the home brew festival at the BBC tap room a couple of years ago. I'm strongly encouraging a repeat performance for this year.

I really need to make a special trip out to Gelato Gilberto sometime and try their stuff. I never usually get out that way, but I loves me some gelato. When my wife and I were in Italy last summer, we lost count of the number of different flavors sampled somewhere in the mid forties.
no avatar
User

Justin Gilbert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:12 am

Re: Guinness Gelato from Gelato Gilberto

by Justin Gilbert » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:23 pm

I do hope you come out for a visit. However, I just want to let you know that our gelato is available at Caffe Classico on Frankfort avenue, usually between four to six flavors (today they have two, chocolate and bronte pistachio). We are also working on some other downtown outlets where six pans of our gelato will be available for all our friends in downtown neighborhoods. At this point nothing is finalized so want to speak out of turn, but as soon as I know something I will be sure to post the information.

In the meantime, I look forward to your vist out here! Your post has already got me thinking about a recipe for octoberfest...
Justin Gilbert
co-owner
Gelato Gilberto
justin@gelatogilberto.com