Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Getting Nutritional Information.

no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

Getting Nutritional Information.

by MikeG » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:48 pm

A discussion came up hare at work regarding nutritional values of a pizza at Boombozz . It has me wondering what steps (and money as well) that a business has to front to get their menu items tested for such documents.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: Getting Nutritional Information.

by Ethan Ray » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:41 pm

I have a program that came with one of my culinary textbooks that can do this to a limited degree.

Mastercook comes with numerous recipes of it's own, but it allows you to input and catalog your own recipes into a "book".

Provided that the ingredients you're inputing are already in the program, it can compute the nutritional analysis for the dish, based on the total yield divided by portion size.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question per se, but hope this helps.
...It's quite inexpensive to at least play with.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Getting Nutritional Information.

by Deb Hall » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:00 pm

My understanding- which could very well be wrong :oops: - is that independent lab analysis was needed to state the nutritional breakdown. ( For packaged foods this definitely required). My assumption- again could be wrong- was that this was in part to protect against legal action if the info was incorrect. Top that with the fact that for most creative, non-productionized restaurants , each batch comes out differently, and it becomes very difficult for local restaurants to provide true nutrional data (as opposed to "Heart Healthy" or "Healthy choice" designation).

Anybody know anything more/different?