Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Anyone checked out Caffe Perusa yet?

by Ron Johnson » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:33 am

Alicia L wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
Alicia L wrote:I am told that the Executive Chef, Mark Latino, is a New Orleans transplant courtesy of Hurricane Katrina and graduate of The Culinary Institute of America with over 20 years of experience in the culinary arts.

Alicia:

Aren't you the manager there? Seems odd that you wouldn't know where your chef is from. You might want to walk back to the kitchen and ask him.

This sort of blatant PR is bad form, but when the restaurant manager pretends to be an anonymous customer it is downright dishonest.

Sorry gang...I am NOT the manager of Caffe Perusa. My insider information is my relationship to the sister-in-law of the chef who I met recently and my own personal experience from dining at the restaurant. If I offended anyone, I apologize. I stand by my observations and opinions. Others may disagree. However, Mr Johnson you have been ill advised and I would consider your comments "bad form". Perhaps in the future you should withhold comments until you know the information you act on is accurate before attacking others in this forum. Thank You!

If you are not the manager then I have been ill advised and I apologize. I do, however, stand by my concern about a situation where those who have a relationship with a restaurant come on the forum to post a hyperbolic and obvious advertisement for the restaurant. I would've had no reaction whatsoever to your post if you had disclosed your relationship with the restaurant in your post.

This is not an "attack" on you as you term it, but a continuing effort to keep this forum credible and dedicated to honest and objective reviews of restaurants. If we do not vigilantly police the site it would become overrun with PR announcements and marketing tools disguised as reviews. Then it would serve no purpose to anyone.
no avatar
User

DeloresDunbar

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat May 17, 2008 10:58 am

by DeloresDunbar » Sat May 17, 2008 11:50 am

I have been to Caffe Perusa about 10 times since they opened. It is fantastic!!! It has quickly become my favorite restaurant in Louisville. I feel that every time I go there, I discover a new item that I fall in love with. The food is prepared impeccably and arrives looking like a work of art. The seasoning of all of the dishes is perfect. I never have to reach for salt or pepper to bring it up to par. It reminds me so much of the elegant dining that I have experienced in New Orleans. I am experiencing new wines there and anticipate the completion of their "Wine Grotto" downstairs.
I would not hesitate to invite any of my out-of-town guests to dine there. There is no better meal to be had in the city.

(P.S. - I dare anyone to write and accuse me of being employed by the restaurant and saying what they would want to hear. I am not a manager there. I am a CAO of an ambulatory surgery center here in the city and I know good food. I plan to eat there weekly. On Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, they have a prix fix special that is wonderful. You get an appetizer, an entree and a dessert served with a glass of wine for $25! How in the world can you beat that? Call and see what the special is for that day as they change daily. Bon appetit, all you foodies!!!!)
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun May 18, 2008 8:59 am

DeloresDunbar wrote:I have been to Caffe Perusa about 10 times since they opened. It is fantastic!!!

(P.S. - I dare anyone to write and accuse me of being employed by the restaurant and saying what they would want to hear. I am not a manager there.

I am not daring ..... :lol: And good to see another new face on the forum. Welcome
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun May 18, 2008 9:29 am

Delores did they ever mention any plans for being open for lunch?
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

DeloresDunbar

{ RANK }

Just got here

by DeloresDunbar » Mon May 19, 2008 1:15 pm

I talked with one of the waiters there and asked about lunch service. They plan to be open for lunch but a date has not been established. I can't wait!
no avatar
User

DeloresDunbar

{ RANK }

Just got here

by DeloresDunbar » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:01 am

I am devastated that Caffe Perusa has closed down. It was my most favorite local restaurant and I am in deep mourning. I hope Chef Mark stays in Louisville and some other restaurant hires him to work his magic. He is truly gifted. If anyone knows anything about where he will be working, please share this information with us all.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:55 pm

According to a CJ article today they were quoted as saying they were doing real good after some positive reviews but allowed their advertising to drop and, well....
With so many great restaurants in Louisville these days coupled with a hugh decline in disposable income dollars, restaurants cannot afford the "I'll ride the crest of a good review" mentality. That crest ends the instant another good review for another restaurant elsewhere comes out. Keeping a top of mind presence in the marketplace is imperative.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:12 pm

Carla,

My understanding was that they did no/little advertising from the beginning - their marketing strategy was largely based on word-of-mouth.

Can't speculate on the low ad impact. I did love this place, but always had severe concern about their location...very much out-of-sight, out-of-mind. Really sad to see it close- the food and the environment were great!

Best of luck to Chef Mark and staff,

Deb
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:19 am

Again Deb, it's not me postulating, I based what I said on a quote in the CJ from the chef.
Carla
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:31 am

carla griffin wrote:Again Deb, it's not me postulating, I based what I said on a quote in the CJ from the chef.

Was that the same part of the CJ that dismissed reports on Primo closing as "rumors"? Just askin' ...
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:42 am

THAT would be too good to be true. (The reporting error, not Perusa closing that is) :wink:
Carla
Previous