Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Re: Vegetarian Vegetables

by Gretchen D. » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:11 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:...I saw some for sale at Whole Food just the other day (as you walk in the door).

OK, Ethan, from a scientific standpoint your work with hydrocolloids sounds interesting and fun! Would you ever be interested in doing a kitchen chemistry demonstration for a small group of home schooled children? I had so much fun last year teaching chemistry... most of it was just fun stuff we could do in the kitchen. Also, I am just starting the world of plants with my first grader in her study of biology... did you seriously see a venus fly trap at Whole Foods? I will HAVE to get one of those... TOTALLY cool! Thanks for the lead on that!
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:33 pm

Jessica,
most Gelatin products are extracted from animals, how would you make Kosher Gelatin due to the fact that is an extraction from an animal.

Would it have to be extracted during the kashering process? (of the animal)

Also, what is the process for Kashering Vegetarian gelatin, seeing as most fish are not kashered. and is there kosher agar and what is that process?
Let me know if you know, I am clueless.
Thanks
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

by Heather Y » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:36 pm

Wait ,
just saw Porcine, I did not know that.... not cow, swine.... really? eww.

That changes my kosher gelatin question completely, but I still want the answer to the vegetarian question.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

by Heather Y » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:47 pm

Wait again,

Porcine, that would be non kosher gelatine, made from bones, and other parts. (not to mention pork)

Kosher Gelatine is made from fish bones, and or beef skins, skins are deemed parve, and (flesh is traif, until kashered)
So the skins is what makes gelatin kosher but not vegetarian, but is usable with dairy, but not vegan! aaaghhh.

Agar and guar gum, and carrageenan are vegan, but not all emulsifiers are kosher! Is everyone keeping up!!

It is difficult to keep Kosher, and hence..... I do not! but I do not eat traif at home!!!!!
User

Tony D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:29 am

by Tony D. » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:54 pm

Carolyne Davis wrote:Smoketown USA on Logan advertises that all their vegetable are vegetarian with no meats or stocks! They are quite spicy and really good!

Made my first visit to Smoketown USA tonight. I, by the way, am not a vegetarian.
Sides were green beans and potato salad. Potato salad was made with red potatoes, skin on, and heavy on celery seed. Also contained green olive slices, which was a new one on me. I am always willing to try any 'salad' which is more than southern code for 'lots of mayo.' The server told me that the cole slaw is a vinegar base, not my preference. Pinto beans are offered in place of the usual baked beans.
My wife immediately voted their green beans 'best take-out ever' and I had to agree. Slow cooked to shreds and almost sweet in flavor, I have a hard time believing this was done without pork fat. Not questioning their veracity, just amazed. I think that I should have tried the mixed greens based on this.
A very nice, and unique barbecue place. Anyone on this site who has riled against chain restaurants owes themselves and the proprietors a visit.
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:42 pm

Heather, I saw you were able to find the info you were asking for. The gelatin that I use is not the kind made from beef skins. Rather it is made from fish, so it is okay for vegetarians that eat fish but not for vegans. I only use gelatin in three recipes that I can think of off the top of my head. That's out of dozens. We don't even have those desserts on hand on a regular basis. They are mostly done as special orders. However, any of my employees can point out these desserts so that people can avoid them if needed.

Everything made at Sweet Surrender is actually approved dairy Kosher for use by some of the local synagogues. Thus the vegetarian lunch which, aside from being Kosher, fills a niche for vegetarians. I think Louisville needs more vegetarian restaurants.

(I also keep Kosher at home. But when I eat out, I only eat what I call Kosher-style. It's too hard in this town to do otherwise, in my opinion.)
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

by Heather Y » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:56 pm

Thanks Jes,

I am still working my way down to you .... girl! I will get there yet!
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

by Heather Y » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:59 pm

Ellen,
Sorry we derailed your question about Vegetable vegetarian.

I am not sure if Saffron is open for lunch... but I bet you might be able to find what you are looking for there!

Also if your in the neighborhood, call ahead... I am sure Chef Mike would try to accomodate you!!
Previous