Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Joe Huber Passes Away

no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Joe Huber Passes Away

by Bill Veneman » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:18 am

I just saw this on the CJ website, and thought I'd pass along:

Joe Huber, whose pioneering you-pick farm business transformed Starlight, Ind. into an agri-tourist mecca, died this morning at Baptist Hospital East in Louisville. He was 74.

Huber died of complications from an infection after battling cancer. Funeral arrangements are pending.

Huber is survived his wife and long-time partner in business, Bonnie, his five children and 12 grandchildren.

The Huber family business includes a 260-acre farm, a market and gift shop, and two large barns for serving buffet-style company picnics.

Huber was the fifth of eleven children born to German descendants who’d settled the scenic community atop the knobs in western Clark County.

He milked cows and worked his parents’ farm. At 17, his father chose him as manager.

He passed up a full scholarship to Purdue University, where he hoped to study agriculture after his father Joe Sr. told him that he needed “Junior” at home to work when an older brother left to serve during the Korean War.

The couple’s children took the reins of the business 12 years ago, and oversee 140 employees during the fall busy season.

Huber said then that he’s proud that all five of his children have a vested interest in the business, which should survive as a family-owned enterprise in Starlight for years to come. “It’s been a good life,” Huber said.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Joe Huber Passes Away

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:19 pm

Sad news, but thanks for passing it on, Bill.
no avatar
User

BrianW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Behind Enemy Lines in the 9th District

by BrianW » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:47 pm

I had no idea he was sick, this is sad. Goodbye Joe, thanks for sharing your farm with us.
Liberalism is a 'no brainer'.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:25 pm

Some friends and I used to have a tradition of going there for a meal and a pumpkin every fall around halloween as part of our Month of Halloween festivities. That tradition lapsed as we got older and other responsibilities interfered with our lives, but we still have very fond memories of Huber's. I'd love to get us all back there again. Mr. Huber certainly created a fantastic place, and he'll be long remembered.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:57 pm

Wow. This is truly sad news. I remember the commercials for Huber's around Halloween every year vividly. Joe Huber was a local icon and he will be missed.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:04 pm

I was involved for several years in the late 1980s with Joe on some financial business. He was always a gentleman and really came off in private much as he did in public. He will be missed.