Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Fay Newman

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Visiting Louisville for 2 days...

by Fay Newman » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:43 pm

Hi,

I am visiting Louisville for 2 days (Thursday afternoon-Saturday Morning)

I am trying to plan out some possible dining destinations 8) Hate going someplace without being prepared. We love finding new places to eat on trips, but have found that unless we do a little research, it is hard to find someplace good.

Dh is wanting pho (we can't get that here) and from what I have read, Vietnam Kitchen would be a good place for that.

So, that is all I have so far... Would like to find 2 lunch places, and another dinner selection (and perhaps a breakfast place). We are staying near the airport, but would be willing to drive for someplace good. Not too pricy please. One country cooking place would be good as well.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:55 pm

Vietnam Kitchen, indeed! You'll enjoy it. You'll get a bunch of great responses from folks who know the central Louisville area better than I do, but I hope you enjoy your stay here. Welcome!
no avatar
User

MichaelBolen

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:03 pm

Re: Visiting Louisville for 2 days...

by MichaelBolen » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:15 pm

Fay Newman wrote:Hi,

I am visiting Louisville for 2 days (Thursday afternoon-Saturday Morning)

I am trying to plan out some possible dining destinations 8) Hate going someplace without being prepared. We love finding new places to eat on trips, but have found that unless we do a little research, it is hard to find someplace good.

Dh is wanting pho (we can't get that here) and from what I have read, Vietnam Kitchen would be a good place for that.

So, that is all I have so far... Would like to find 2 lunch places, and another dinner selection (and perhaps a breakfast place). We are staying near the airport, but would be willing to drive for someplace good. Not too pricy please. One country cooking place would be good as well.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it!

well, there just arent many country cooking places in louisville and you usually have to go outside the city for it, which can be a 45 minute drive to some places i have heard mentioned here. one place that i would consider pretty good though is the cottage inn, which is located within 5 minutes of the airport. its cheap and offers hometyle food, i sear the country fried steak mashed potatoes and gravy are awesome. im from further north and couldnt find places like that with the "plate lunch"
well for breakfast my two faves are toast on market and lynns paradise cafe. i would try lynns, its real retro kitsch. theres an upscale vietnamese place that just opened called basa, and about 10 other small vietnamese places id say. um, youll have to be more specific for your other options, there are hundreds of good restaurants i have found here. I think another awesome lunch option is a persian/meditteranean place called Shiraz. its just cheap and good and nice, in the ground floor of some loft condos. youll probably want to try at least one nice dinner, perhaps at seviche on bardstown road or proof on main. either way youll want to check out bardstown road, u may walk around and stumble on a place with a menu you like. both are nicer but really arent all that pricey, i mean u can get a great meal for 12-15 a person at those places. hope this helps. oh another place i thought of thats kinds cheap and cool is come back inn, which is a red/white checkered table american-italian place llocated in an old working class area. it has decent italian americanized food, i like the amatraciana there.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Country style lunch.

by Doogy R » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:56 pm

Might I suggest Cottage Inn on Eastern Parkway for lunch?

Cottage Inn
570 Eastern Pkwy
Louisville, KY 40217
(502) 637-4325

Here's a link to Robin's review. http://www.iglou.com/restaurants/cottage.shtml
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:28 pm

And since you're not staying in one of our fine Bed and Breakfast inns here, I'd suggest Toast on Market for Breakfast. We probably eat there once a week for either breakfast or lunch!

I'll second Seviche, and throw in Diamante for a nice dinner. If you want really upscale then I'd suggest 610 Magnolia.
no avatar
User

Fay Newman

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Fay Newman » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:44 am

You all have been really nice! Dh is sometimes not as adventurous as I am, so I was hoping for the country thing to keep him in a comfort zone :lol: It took me years to get him to eat pho (now it is his favorite)

We are from Texas (but live in Tn), so driving a bit is not crazy for us. I am adding what was mentioned to the list of possibilities :)

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks.
no avatar
User

Fay Newman

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Fay Newman » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:45 am

You all have been really nice! Dh is sometimes not as adventurous as I am, so I was hoping for the country thing to keep him in a comfort zone :lol: It took me years to get him to eat pho (now it is his favorite)

We are from Texas (but live in Tn), so driving a bit is not crazy for us. I am adding what was mentioned to the list of possibilities :)

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:44 am

If you just go to http://www.LouisvilleOriginals.com and throw a dart at the page, you'll wind up in a great Louisville restaurant. Really. They're ALL that good!
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:43 pm

For country cooking at great prices try Mr Lous Country Cottage on Valley Station Rd (South Dixie Hwy) Great breakfast and meat & 3 plate lunches.