Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Kid friendly Chicago

no avatar
User

Karen H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm

Kid friendly Chicago

by Karen H » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:13 pm

We are planning a trip to Chicago this summer with my nephew, his wife and their two kids (ages 6 & 2). Would appreciate some suggestions for good location to stay in, kid friendly things to do (other than museums...short attention spans you know....may hit 1 or 2) and kid friendly places to eat that we adults can enjoy too. Thanks! :D
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Kid friendly Chicago

by Ron Johnson » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:23 pm

We are planning a similar trip and found this site useful. http://www.chicagokids.net/
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:28 pm

It is going to sound trite, but the Navy Pier was a big hit with my child and fun for us adults, too. We also went to Medieval Times in Schamburg (http://www.medievaltimes.com/ilhomepage.htm). We went for Taste of Chicago, and our son loved the event, there is lots of other activities and music besides the great food. He also loved the water taxis.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Karen H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm

by Karen H » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:46 pm

Thanks for the website, I can send it to the nephew and let them look at it too.

And I forgot about the Medevial Times, we did this while on my daughter's 8th grade class trip and it was a hit.
no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Cherokee Triangle

by NicoleC » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:52 pm

If you have a membership to the Louisville Science Museum, you will get free entrance into the Field Museum, the Children's Museum (at Navy Pier), the Adler Planetarium, the Peggy Nottebart Nature Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry. Getting in free makes it much more attractive to just stop in for under an hour w/ children.

The Zoo in Lincoln Park is free and they have a "Farm in the Zoo" where you can watch cows being milked and pet animals. There are playgrounds in Lincoln park (one is near Webster or Dickens -- I can't remember the cross-street) and the Nature Museum is right there, too. It is geared towards young children and everything is very tactile and visual.

Cheesy as it may be, the American Girl Store is fun if any of the children are young girls, but it's not for everyone.

Millenium Park is amazing for children. My daughter has always loved it and if it's warm, the kids run in the big fountain (with the faces that spit water down on them) and love to look in the bean. There is also a wonderful park adjacent to it. You could spend hours with children there on a nice day.

The beaches are fun in the summer -- you could take a picnic and spend all day in the beach and at the park.

In terms of places to eat, Potbelly Sandwich works is fantastic for children (there are several locations throughout the city and Evanston), obviously, any pizza place. My daughter loves Penny's Noodle Shop, too (several locations) but it may not be for all children. There are a ton of Italian restaurants, ranging from the very touristy to very authentic, and they generally are very accommodating to children.

In terms of places to stay, it's really going to depend on whether you would like to stay downtown or in the suburbs for recommendations. There are so many options.

Summertime is full of city and neighborhood festivals -- there are several every weekend of the summer.

Have a wonderful time! There is no better place in the summer than Chicago!
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

by Casey J. » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:15 am

Karen H wrote:Would appreciate some suggestions for kid friendly things to do

If either of the kids are female, the American Girl store and Cafe is always kid-filled. A fun family thing to do is the Blue Man Group. http://www.blueman.com The adults and kids will enjoy it and the big ending is something they will really enjoy. The whole family may also enjoy a carriage ride through the Gold Coast. The carriages pick up in front of the water tower. Breakfast or lunch at http://www.kitschn.com would be fun for everyone. It is a very eclectic, funky place with great food. Chicago also has the kid friendly chains like Rainforest Cafe.
The path to progress, though not always smooth, was blazed by men of restless intelligence, tinkerers seized with a vision of change.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:44 am

A great place for ALL ages is Foodlife food court in the Water Tower building. It's not your typical food court...they offer about every cuisine you can imagine. You grab a tray and seat and choose your selections from a variety of different places, then pay at the end. The stir fry place was awesome..