Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ soups it up at Cafe Thuy Van

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:13 am

Marty goes well off the beaten path this week with a trip to Cafe Thuy Van, one of the less well-known South End Vietnamese spots, located out on National Turnpike (near South Side Drive), several blocks southwest of the cluster of Vietnamese shops around Iroquois Manor. I checked this out several years ago and was uninspired, but Marty's glowing report sounds like it has found its niche. Gotta get out there for a recheck when some of this snow melts! Word count is back up to a hefty 661 words, up from a record low in the 400s for Artemisia last week, so the struggle with the Gannett bean counters evidently continues.

Slurp-inspiring soups at cafe
Vietnamese menu at Cafe Thuy Van

Cafe Thuy Van
5600 National Turnpike
(502) 366-6959
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Re: CJ soups it up at Cafe Thuy Van

by Ron Johnson » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:08 am

On a related note, I tried to stop in and have lunch at Vietnam Kitchen the other day and it was packed to the rafters with a wait for tables. The VK is rockin'.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:15 am

I'm glad Marty made it out there. We have some real vietnamian jewels in that area. I haven't tried Thuy Van yet but I am a regular at Annie Cafe (Woodlawn) and am very familiar with Vietnam Kitchen. The little place on Strawberry lane in the small shopping strip is good as well, especially if you enjoy being the only non-asian in the place. Annie's pho (I eat it with tofu) has me addicted, as well as their hot tea.
James J. Natsis
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:44 am

You got newspaper delivery this morning in the snow???
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:00 pm

Leah s wrote:You got newspaper delivery this morning in the snow???

The CJ's Website is even more lame than the print edition, but at least it does not have to be thrown on the porch. ;)
no avatar
User

Heather Wells

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue May 29, 2007 4:59 pm

by Heather Wells » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:25 am

Let's just say the best time to eat at VK is the day after another Vietnamese restaurant is reviewed in the rag. We ate at Vietnam Kitchen tonight and it was only half full which is rare on a Sunday (although we did eat early....6 pm or so).