Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: Best Cheesecake???

by Jay M. » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:52 pm

Ned Weatherby wrote:Thank you Deb. I like Desserts by Helen as well but never had their cheesecake. If you ever want something special order let me know. I am thinking for Derby time doing a mint julep cheesecake.

Ned,
You and someone else here were discussing making cheesecakes with various liqueurs. Some of the cheesecake ideas you were throwing around sounded delicious. Did you ever do that??
User

Ned Weatherby

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 pm

LaGrange

by Ned Weatherby » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm

Yes I made a bourbon ball one for christmas and actually took one to the forums Iron Chef viewing a while back. It looked ugly but I think everyone liked it. I don't make a lot of different cheesecakes for the restaurant as they already have a fairly extensive menu for sweet treatsbut on occasion do a special one for the season or event. The chef Chris also makes another denser cheesecake with amaretto liqour in it. Plus another forumite Andrea bakes a seasonal treat usually for them which is always delish. It is currently carrot cake and looks wonderful.
Good Eats
User

Andrea E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:15 pm

La Grange, KY

by Andrea E » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:56 pm

I too can vouch for Ned's cheesecake - I had the pumpkin a while back and it was delicious! I have just started getting into cheesecake and you can currently sample my classic NY Style Cheesecake at Steve-O's out in Buckner. I think that would be a fabulous idea - come out to Oldham County and try mine AND Ned's in the same night. Cheesecake throwdown!

PS Looking forward to hearing about the baby news, Ned! I'm sure you and Sherri are ready! Let me know what she's craving and I'll send over a little treat after she can eat sweets again.
Q&A Sweet Treats Bakery & Dessert Cafe
211 South First Street
La Grange, KY 40031
502-265-0550
www.qasweettreats.com
no avatar
User

John Burley

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:20 pm

by John Burley » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:39 pm

Andrea & Ned,

We would be honored to host a "CHEESECAKE" throwdown here at Norma Jean's. Let's get together to discuss a date.

And, we welcome any other potential competitors.
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:50 pm

Ned,

Congratulations! You'll have to bring phtotos with you when you come in for your wife's birthday slice.

Also, for liquor in cheesecakes, I find creamier liquers work best. For instance, the Bailey's works great in our Chocolate Bailey's Cheesecake and around Christmas we make an eggnog cheesecake.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
User

Ned Weatherby

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 pm

LaGrange

by Ned Weatherby » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:58 pm

Well I am hardly a professional baker and John and Norma have been nice enough to let me use their kitchen to cook some for them. I am open for a all out cheesecake battle. I suppose it should be plain with graham cracker crusts so they are on somewhat even playing fields. I guess we could Iron out the rules if the forum thinks a cheesecake battle is in order. :lol: It is all in good fun although I am nervous as I know what a great chef Andrea is (dang pros). So what does the forum think? If they seem to want a battle I say bring it :twisted: :mrgreen:
Good Eats
Previous