Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

KerryG

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:34 pm

Best Cheesecake???

by KerryG » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:56 pm

I'm not a cheesecake fan, but have a friend coming in town this weekend who loves cheesecake. Where's the best place in the Louisville area for cheesecake and does anyone know where you can get Black Raspberry cheesecake?

Thanks a bunch!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Best Cheesecake???

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:39 pm

Some of the Cheesecake Factory's cheesecakes are absolutely wonderful (and some are terrible), but it's certainly the largest selection! They do have a couple of raspberry - with white chocolate, other varieties - but I don't know about a black raspberry. (You can always call them?)

I'd take them to the Oriental House down the street, for an authentic local Chinese meal, and then later go to Cheesecake Factory for dessert. (Or, not all that far away, to Basa, Red Chili, Bourbon Bistro, et al, or through the back way behind the Mall to Napa River)
Andrew Mellman
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:30 pm

I'm told we have a pretty good cheesecake at Sweet Surrender. Our flavors do rotate however.

The two featured cheesecakes this weekend will be our Turtle Cheesecake and our Chocolate Bailey's Irish Cream Cheesecake in honor of the approaching St Patrick's Day.

Sometimes we feature a White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake, but we don't usually have a Black Raspberry Cheesecake. However, we could do a whole one for a special order with 48 hours notice.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
no avatar
User

Bill Brymer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:47 am

by Bill Brymer » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:45 pm

Second Sweet Surrender. It's got a great atmosphere and the desserts are always fantastic! The wife and I try to visit at least once a month (fat boy, dieting).
User

Ned Weatherby

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 pm

LaGrange

by Ned Weatherby » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:15 pm

Mine of course at Norma jeans in Lagrange (Just kidding I am not that conceited) :lol: . Ghiradelli brownie bottom, layer of peanut butter, then cheesecake on top. :mrgreen: I am biased and do not usually order out cheesecake a lot. I would say other than mine, Sweet Surrender. I would say cheesecake factory but something turns me off about the place almost like a mass produced product. I could make a special order one given notice. I am always looking for a challenge
Good Eats
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:56 pm

While I recommended Cheesecake Factory, it was mainly because they have raspberry versions. Sweet Surrender is certainly a good option, if you can go beyond that flavor (just hit Basa or somewhere nearby for dinner!)

Another idea: dinner at Havana Rhumba, and then walk across the street to Jack's Lounge. You can have great drinks, catch up with your friend, and they serve Equus's desserts (which include a good cheesecake!)
Andrew Mellman
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:24 pm

I like these.

http://www.adammatthews.com/

Adam Matthews was founded in 1983 by Adam Matthew Burckle at age 21. Growing up in Louisville, Adam and his family on special occasions would look forward to and enjoy the hard work of his mother "Nell" when she would bake her famous New York style cheesecake.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:33 pm

They have a sugar free one that uses Spleda and has no crust...only 4 carbs per serving...That along with redi whip sugar free and I have a great dessert....
no avatar
User

Wayde H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:32 pm

by Wayde H » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:35 pm

Ned Weatherby wrote:Mine of course at Norma jeans in Lagrange (Just kidding I am not that conceited) :lol: . Ghiradelli brownie bottom, layer of peanut butter, then cheesecake on top. :mrgreen: I am biased and do not usually order out cheesecake a lot. I would say other than mine, Sweet Surrender. I would say cheesecake factory but something turns me off about the place almost like a mass produced product. I could make a special order one given notice. I am always looking for a challenge

That sounds awesome!!! :lol:
User

Ned Weatherby

{ RANK }

Foodie

LaGrange

by Ned Weatherby » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:08 pm

Thanks people tell me it is good and I like to believe it as it was my grandmothers recipe for cheesecake. I added the brownie bottom and also the peanut butter at the request of John at NJ's. My grandmother's had no crust at all and it was my fav so I try and honor her with each one I make. I invite all the forumites to at least give it a try. Comments are always welcome good and bad as I always try and better myself.
Good Eats
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:57 pm

I heard Danny Mac's has a great cheese...............steak :lol: :lol: :lol:
BShep
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:32 pm

Thanks for all the nice words about Sweet Surrender!

Ned, I think next time I'm in Lagrange, I'm going to have to stop in for a slice of your cheesecake!

Robert, we also do a sugar-free cheesecake at Sweet Surrender by special order.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
User

Ned Weatherby

{ RANK }

Foodie

LaGrange

by Ned Weatherby » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:28 pm

Jessica,
Please do as I would love a professionals opinion :D I am sure we will be in to sweet surrender as my wife got her birthday card from you all. It will have to be after the 11th as we are having our first child on the 11th and she has gestational diabetes but you are high on the list of her after birth wants. We truly enjoy all your sweets.
Good Eats
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:57 pm

I am a major cheesecake lover. I can vouch for Ned's cheesecakes: they are excellent. While I've had other desserts at Sweet Surrender, I've never tried their cheesecake. Personally I have never cared for Adam Matthews- not creamy enough or intense enough flavors for me.

Here's another place to throw into the mix: Desserts by Helen's. I love, love love their plain New York style cheesecake. Brian has been known to special order me a whole one for my birthday. One cavit though: I've had no luck getting the same quality by the slice at the Prospect location. (and believe me, I've tried several times) I don't know whether they just don't get enough traffic so it sits too long, or whether it's a different baker/recipe but it doesn't compae to the whole cake from the Bardstown road store. I'd either buy the whole thing or try it by the slice at that location.

Deb
User

Ned Weatherby

{ RANK }

Foodie

LaGrange

by Ned Weatherby » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:19 pm

Thank you Deb. I like Desserts by Helen as well but never had their cheesecake. If you ever want something special order let me know. I am thinking for Derby time doing a mint julep cheesecake.
Good Eats
Next