Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

LEO/LHB: The Boombozz theory of evolution

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:08 am

LEO's Eats with Louisville HotBytes

Like a primordial anchovy creeping out of the sea and beholding bigger and better things on shore, the first Tony Boombozz pizzeria burst into view just a decade ago as a tiny but portentous creature.

Louisville's pizza lovers looked upon it and saw that it was good. So it wasn't long before the small pizzeria moved into larger quarters on Frankfort Avenue, then spawned a second location on Bardstown Road, cannily providing artisan pizzas on both of the city's primary restaurant rows.

Now there are four, with the addition of a fast-casual dining room in Springhurst, and, out past Jeffersontown in the distant 'burbs, the subject of today's sermon: a brand-new upscale casual Boombozz Bistro with an expanded menu and table service. (Coming later this year, an expanded Bardstown Road operation and tap room with 30, count 'em, 30 draught microbrews.)

In short, Boombozz has become perhaps the most respected name in Louisville pizza, earning this place of pride the old-fashioned way. Winner of dozens of awards in pizza competition, owner Tony Palombino represented the United States last year in the World Pizza Cup in Naples, Italy, the birthplace of pizza; the editors of Pizza Marketplace named him Independent Operator of the Year for 2008.

You can call it survival of the fittest, or you could call it intelligent design. I call it excellent food, value and service.

Full reports in LEO and on LouisvilleHotBytes.

Boombozz Pizza Bistro
12613 Taylorsville Road
261-0222
http://www.TonyBoombozz.com
Robin Garr's rating: 86 points

(Other Boombozz locations: 2813 N. Hurstbourne Parkway, just south of Westport Road, 394-0000; 1448 Bardstown Road at Eastern Parkway in the Highlands, 458-8889; and 3334 Frankfort Ave., between Crescent Hill and St. Matthews, 896-9090.)
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: LEO/LHB: The Boombozz theory of evolution

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:30 am

Actually had BoomBozz for the 1st time last night. Hard to believe, considering I've had just about every pizza in Louisville.

Chicken Fajita on Thin, and some Asiago Cheesesticks. Both were great!

Look forward to trying the Steak & Potato, Neopolitan, and one of their subs next...
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:48 pm

LOL! I love the article...

Tony Boombozz is great...I especially enjoy the Quattro pizza. The vegetariano panini is great too, especially when you order fennel sausage as an extra topping...
User

Ken Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:05 am

Greater Metropolitan Fisherville

by Ken Peters » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:20 pm

I live out in that neck of the woods, and we've been waiting for 20+ years for a good sit-down restaurant, and a pizza place. Thankfully, we've now got BOTH in the same package. :mrgreen:

And since it's in the same complex as the Kroger, much more traffic (not to mention development--both commercial and residential) can be expected all along that stretch of Taylorsville Road. :?

Now if they would only W-I-D-E-N that street to anticipate the growth; instead of letting the growth happen first, and then widen the street. :!:
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:01 pm

Boombozz is the one really good local pizzeria I fail to frequent, and I do not know why. Every pie I have had from them has been delicious. Nice to see they are having success replicating their concept and their excellent pies! Perhaps this review will be enough to get me off my tucus and back into their store!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Jennie Mulhall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:22 am

by Jennie Mulhall » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:55 am

I am a huge fan of Boombozz!
I just discovered the deliciousness that is the Portobello Bello with sausage added!
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:48 pm

The Springhurst location delivers to my house....am I lucky or what?

:)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:57 pm

Mark Head wrote:The Springhurst location delivers to my house....am I lucky or what?

The Frankfort Avenue location delivers here. :)

Seriously: I eat out a lot, and I cook seriously at home a lot. When I'm in the mood to do neither, then by far my most frequent choice is to summon Boombozz.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:04 pm

Living in Indiana, I only get Boomboz when I'm at work in Springhurst.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Mark Head wrote:The Springhurst location delivers to my house....am I lucky or what?

The Frankfort Avenue location delivers here. :)

Seriously: I eat out a lot, and I cook seriously at home a lot. When I'm in the mood to do neither, then by far my most frequent choice is to summon Boombozz.

Amen!