Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Chicago suggestions

no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: Chicago suggestions

by Ethan Ray » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:47 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:
It was super expensive (over $500 for two) and mediocre. Were you aware that Tramonto and Gand aren't really there anymore? They are devoted full time to opening Cenitare and Osteria d Tramonto. It's not the same restaurant it once was. My meals at the Seelbach and 610 Magnolia blew it away.

If you can't swing a reservation at Alinea, and you want some cutting edge cuisine, go to Avenues in the Penninsula.

Personally, I can't think of anyplace I'd rather eat in Chicago than Avec. If I want something slightly more upscale, I like Blackbird which is right next door and has same owners.

Well aware that Tramonto and Gand are spread out thin through the Cenitare group. (we talked about driving to Wheeling to check out RT Lounge as well.)

Are you aware that chef Graham Elliot Bowles is leaving Avenues?
He and i have trade random emails from time to time, so i sent him one trying to find out when he was leaving to open Graham Elliot.
He's leaving Avenues in the end of March, then opening his eponymous restaurant in May.
Curtis Duffy, longtime chef de cuisine at Alinea (and prior to that pastry chef w/ Grant at Trio) will be taking over the kitchen at Avenues.

I know the food is still likely to be super cutting edge (considering Duffy's background), but i have a hard time making reservations for a place that pricey, without knowing anything about what the new chef is going to be doing food wise (or price-wise for that matter). Our lead time to find out will be within Chef Duffy's first few weeks on the job, and i'm not sure that gives us the proper time to make a decision.

We sat down last night and wrote out a tentative breakdown of sightseeing and dining plans.

Tentatively we're planning on TRU, Blackbird, RT Lounge, Hot Doug's, and possible stopping in at Avec and/or Nacional 27 for cocktails/small plates
Suddenly she wanted to goto Blackbird as well... so i think we're stretching funds a bit more around. (prix fixe at TRU, and a la carte elsewhere)
(some of these may drop out or be substituted as we do some more poking around)

We planning on arriving Sunday, April 6th and staying through Friday April 11th.

Ironic that you mention having a better experience at the Oakroom.
The Saturday before we leave we're planning on dining there, since i work everyday the restaurant is open for dinner...
It's a place we never have the opportunity to eat at, because of our work schedules.

speaking of that...
i've got to leave for work!
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Aaron M. Renn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 12, 2007 7:10 pm

by Aaron M. Renn » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:47 pm

I was at Blackbird about a month ago - it was excellent.
no avatar
User

Solomon Gayman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:47 am

highlands

by Solomon Gayman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:18 pm

Sepia on jefferson st. and Room21 are the best places I've been too. Room21 has an awesome steak but I don't know the name of the street its on.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:20 pm

Avec is right next door to Blackbird, so you can hit both.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:27 pm

Alright.
so forget everything i said before.
(i'm sure you all think i'm a mental-case by now.)

turns out there was some sort of kitchen and bath expo in town that week and we were having a real hard time booking the hotel we wanted (much less a hotel period) in the area we wanted... so we pushed everything back a week, and got our first choice hotel (finally!) booked...

and after some thinking, decided we'd rather spread our money across the cities restaurants; and dine at 5 or 6 places rather than one ultra expensive meal, and a few lower cost quick bites.

We pushed back our Blackbird reservation, and cancelled at TRU - but here's the list we're looking at (after suggestions and my own knowledge), and wouldn't mind some input.

Blackbird
Avec
Nacional 27
TRU (for desserts in the lounge)
RT Lounge (Wheeling)
Hot Doug's

North Pond
Spring
Sepia (thanks for the headsup Solomon!)
Otom
Le Lan

We are pretty fixed on hitting Blackbird, Avec, Nacional 27, Hot Doug's and then TRU for desserts. (and if time permits, driving to Wheeling to check out RT Lounge)

I've read nothing but great things about Chef Bruce Sherman's work at North Pond, as well as Chef Shawn McClain's work at Spring.
Anyone dined at either place?

and my apologies for switching everything up and basically starting this thread all over again.
Last edited by Ethan Ray on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Have you been to either Frontera or Topolobampo? I know that Bayless' joints are far from cutting edge and have been around for a while, but he is really an important culinary figure in this country and his dedication to authentic mexican cuisine is second to none. I think it is worthwhile to hit Frontera and sit at the bar for a drink and to nibble on some of his small plates.

Other than that, your list looks solid.

p.s. what about Maxwell Street Market?
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:44 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:Have you been to either Frontera or Topolobampo? I know that Bayless' joints are far from cutting edge and have been around for a while, but he is really an important culinary figure in this country and his dedication to authentic mexican cuisine is second to none. I think it is worthwhile to hit Frontera and sit at the bar for a drink and to nibble on some of his small plates.

Other than that, your list looks solid.

p.s. what about Maxwell Street Market?

Truth be told, i haven't spent much time looking into the sightseeing/shopping stuff yet, and frankly am a bit naive to it (Maxwell Street Market).

Right now all we have penciled in are the Shedd, Museum of Science and Industry, Sears Tower, Navy Pier, Millennium Park and Lincoln Park Zoo.

I have hardly had the time or means to travel much in my life, so i'm stabbing a bit in the dark here.

the last time i was in a city of this size, i was in was Detroit - and there's very little to write home about there, if you know what i mean. :?

ps. thanks Ron, your advice (and everyone else's) has been incredible.
Ethan Ray

no avatar
User

BDKollker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Outside the Box Nashvegas

by BDKollker » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:15 pm

Ethan, I don't know if you have checked it out or remember me talking about it but Schwa is BACK!

"How you cats doing tonight?" And so begins a new chapter in this now-famous Chicago restaurant's history. Last week, the Tribune ran a huge feature on Chef Michael Carlson who abruptly closed Schwa, his tiny but incredible eatery, last October on the day after serving dinner to 20 of the worlds top chefs, restaurateurs, and writers (including Charlie Trotter, Ferran and Albert Adria, Wylie Dufresne, Thomas Keller, Michael Ruhlman, and others.) Carlson, a Trio-alum and named one of the best new chefs in the US by Food and Wine in 2006, had apparently just had it. He cancelled reservations and took four months off to be with his family. The good news? Schwa re-opened last week and early reports are the food is better than ever. Don't forget -- if you can get in, it's BYOB. They don't have a liquor license.

I think prices are fairly reasonable. But getting a reservation isn't.

Prost!
Blake Kollker

Blakekollker.com
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:23 pm

BDKollker wrote:Ethan, I don't know if you have checked it out or remember me talking about it but Schwa is BACK!

"How you cats doing tonight?" And so begins a new chapter in this now-famous Chicago restaurant's history. Last week, the Tribune ran a huge feature on Chef Michael Carlson who abruptly closed Schwa, his tiny but incredible eatery, last October on the day after serving dinner to 20 of the worlds top chefs, restaurateurs, and writers (including Charlie Trotter, Ferran and Albert Adria, Wylie Dufresne, Thomas Keller, Michael Ruhlman, and others.) Carlson, a Trio-alum and named one of the best new chefs in the US by Food and Wine in 2006, had apparently just had it. He cancelled reservations and took four months off to be with his family. The good news? Schwa re-opened last week and early reports are the food is better than ever. Don't forget -- if you can get in, it's BYOB. They don't have a liquor license.

I think prices are fairly reasonable. But getting a reservation isn't.

Prost!

Damn! i forgot about Schwa!

Thanks for the head-up Blake.
Ethan Ray

no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:33 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:Truth be told, i haven't spent much time looking into the sightseeing/shopping stuff yet, and frankly am a bit naive to it (Maxwell Street Market).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/new-maxwell-street-market-chicago

that's a start
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:41 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:
Ethan Ray wrote:Truth be told, i haven't spent much time looking into the sightseeing/shopping stuff yet, and frankly am a bit naive to it (Maxwell Street Market).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/new-maxwell-street-market-chicago

that's a start

i found the same website after you mentioned it, but unfortunately (after reading up on it), we're planning on leaving Louisville around 11am Sunday and will miss the window to hit the market.

that is... unless we leave early.
We're planning on eating eating at the Oakroom the night before we leave, so i think as much as we'd try...
We'd probably be lazy for one day knowing we're going to be keeping retarded hours to soak as much in as possible when we get there.
Ethan Ray

no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:53 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:p.s. what about Maxwell Street Market?

Dude, sorry to keep harping on this, but that place is gone. What they have in place, that is called Maxwell Street, is nothing like the original market. Again I apologize for ranting about this, but that place was special to me. Dad used to bring us there many Sundays, great memories. Its somewhat like taking someone to Forth Street live for a real old time look at Lousville culture. Its sad, its gone Disney.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:27 pm

North Pond is one of the most romantic places in the city . . . on a small pond in a park, with the lights of the city in the distance. Food is very good; I'd put Equus above it, but we're talking that type of place, but more rustic of a setting. My son got engaged there!

Several have suggested Mitchell's for breakfast, so please keep that in mind - it's true Chicago history in action.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:10 pm

I was just going to suggest Schwa.

Ethan, North Pond is in the heart of the area I noted in one of my messages above, Lincoln Park (you mentioned the zoo). If you get a nice day, try to plan an afternoon to wander. The Lincoln Park Conservatory is right there as well (I mean right there, within just a hundred feet or so of the zoo). And it's all right on the lake as well. Chicago is wonderful for its walking and bike paths (sidewalks, really) which which run practically the length of Chicago proper and into the suburbs north and south. You can literally walk for hours and hours if you choose. And just a few blocks west of North Pond you'll find Clark Street and Lincoln Avenue with all sorts of pubs and theatres and so forth. If I were you, and maybe you've already considered this, since you're planning the zoo and North Pond, I'd plan my whole day for just wandering that area after breakfast somewhere around your hotel.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:25 pm

John Hagan wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:p.s. what about Maxwell Street Market?

Dude, sorry to keep harping on this, but that place is gone. What they have in place, that is called Maxwell Street, is nothing like the original market. Again I apologize for ranting about this, but that place was special to me. Dad used to bring us there many Sundays, great memories. Its somewhat like taking someone to Forth Street live for a real old time look at Lousville culture. Its sad, its gone Disney.

you've got to be shitting me! no more authentic mexican cuisine served from the little stands? damn, I guess I have to go to Red Hook, Brooklyn now.
PreviousNext