Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Chicago suggestions

by Ethan Ray » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:57 pm

Looking for suggestions of things to do/see while in Chicago.

Not looking so much for restaurant recommendations (already have reservations at TRU, and plans to stop at a few more casual spots).

But looking for any leads/suggestions.

I've already hit the Frommer's guides... but before sifting through that, some preemptive direction would be appreciated.

We're going to be in town for 4 days, and plan on staying in the Gold Coast/Magnificent Mile/Streeterville-area.
We will be driving - so any hidden gems outside the metro-area are options as well.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Ethan Ray on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

Re: Chicago suggestions

by Paula B » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:03 pm

While in chicago, be sure to look up Adam Seger at National 27. Fun spot, he also might know of different little spots.

We were turned onto a hole in the wall place Hot Doug's, by a chicago foodie. It is near Harpo studios. They have about 35 different hot dogs, including things like lobster, shrimp, ( did have veggie options as well), with different toppings. The also have duck fat french fries. It was the best $5.00 meal i have ever had. You also can byob.

Have a great time. :D
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:10 pm

Chicago Diner http://www.veggiediner.com/ always good.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:12 pm

You definitely have to do the Shedd Aquarium! It's probably one of the best in the nation and the park where it's located is also very neat. It's about 15 minutes south of where you'll be staying along the lake. If you guys are the type that get into shopping there's a huge outlet center at Wisconsin Dells about an hour north of Chicago on I-94, it's certainly different than anything we've got around here.

Also just spending a day walking around downtown, along the Miracle Mile and out to Navy Pier makes for a great relaxing day. Not sure when you're going but it's also neat to go out to a Chicago Cubs game if they're in town.

Hope you have a great trip!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:13 pm

Paula B wrote:While in chicago, be sure to look up Adam Seger at National 27. Fun spot, he also might know of different little spots.

We were turned onto a hole in the wall place Hot Doug's, by a chicago foodie. It is near Harpo studios. They have about 35 different hot dogs, including things like lobster, shrimp, ( did have veggie options as well), with different toppings. The also have duck fat french fries. It was the best $5.00 meal i have ever had. You also can byob.

Have a great time. :D

My roommate and my brothers stopped in at Hot Doug's last time they were there and raved about it.

that was one of the casual spots i had in mind, as well as Avec and Hot Chocolate.

I plan on looking into Nacional 27 as well, Adam used to be the Restaurant Director at the Seelbach (before my time there), and then GM at Tru, and i've always been an admirer by his work in mixology...

i sampled one of his creations a friend of mine brought back from a beverage conference (i didn't ask how he got a bottle of this stuff),and it was nothing shy of tasty.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:55 pm

I'll be interested to see what you think of Hot Chocolate. We were somewhat disappointed - VERY expensive for what we got, which - while unusual - was neither exceptional nor worth the money.

If you're really into chocolate, make reservations NOW for the chocolate buffet at the Peninsula Hotel! It's only on one weekend night a week, and they book up very fast.

Also, Rich Bayless's restaurants are both fun and good, and haven't been mentioned yet.

The Thorne miniature rooms in the Chicago Institute of Art are always worthwhile (for something else to do), the Field Museum of Natural History (same complex as acquarium) has spectacular gems on display, and the Museum of Science & Industry - about 10 miles South on Lake Shore Drive - is the only remaining building from the Chicago Exposition of 1902/3, and has a submarine, coal mine, and multiple other exhibits in the building, along with special exhibits.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Cherokee Triangle

by NicoleC » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:01 pm

I lived in the city for 11 years. A lot of what I would recommend depends on the weather since the lakefront and parks are so wonderful. If it's not terrible out, I would highly recommend spending some time in Millennium Park -- it's right by the Art Institute. I'm not sure what types of things that you like to do, but here are some of my suggestions:

-Chicago is the city of neighborhoods, so definitely take the time to stroll few some of them:
-Bucktown/Wicker Park - Funky shops, restaurants, bars, galleries. Ukrainian Village and Logan Square of adjacent neighborhoods which also have a arty heart.
-Lincoln Park - the Zoo is free and the lakeshore by Fullerton, etc is beautiful. Again lots of shops, etc. Adjacent neighborhoods are Lakeview (includes Wrigleyville as well as the Southport Corridor which is full of shops,etc.)
-Hyde Park - University of Chicago and the Museum of Science and Industry - the area just to the north of it was the midway for the Columbian Exposition (World's Fair).
Other neighborhoods: Chinatown is cool and the South Loop has seen a real renaissance, Little Italy (UIC is right next to it), Roscoe Village, Lincoln Square/Ravenswood. Lastly, Andersonville is where the city's Swedish population settled and it has the most wonderful Swedish bakery (on Clark St.) -- it's worth the stop to get a little ribbon wrapped box of heart-shaped gingerbread cookies.

-Ride the EL trains/bus around the city. It's a good way to see it on a cold day
- Frank Lloyd Wright Homes/Museum in Oak Park. It's just a few minutes out of the city on the Green Line Train.
- Obviously, the museums are fabulous -- the Art Institute, MCA, Museum of Science and Industry, the Field Museum are my favorites. A lot of the museums are free on Tuesdays. The Art Institute and MCA used to sometimes have happy hours on Thurs nights.
- If you like Jazz, you should definitely head to Uptown and go to the Green Mill- it's an old speakeasy. The Riviera ("Riv") and the Aragon Ballroom are near there, too, if you like live music. Other places to check out for shows are the Metro and the Double Door. There is obviously also a ton of good places to see the Blues, too.
- See what's playing at the Steppenwolf Theatre in Lincoln Park -- I love the Steppenwolf.
- The Bahai Temple at the Evanston/Winnetka border is beautiful structure if you head up the North Shore or plan to go up to Evanston.
-Make sure that you go to Intelligentsia for coffee!

Those are the things that I can think of off of the top of my head -- let me know if you have any questions,etc.
Also, the Chicago Reader http://www.chicagoreader.com/ is always a good resource for seeing what cool things are happening. Have a blast!
no avatar
User

Aaron M. Renn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 12, 2007 7:10 pm

by Aaron M. Renn » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:17 pm

A lot of what you should do is driven by what you like to do. Here are some of my favorites. If you give me the specific dates, I can try to give you a more specific guidebook.

Chocolate - The place I like the best is Coco Rouge on Division St. in Wicker Park. If you are in the neighborhood, check it out.

Music - For indie rockers, pick up a copy of the Reader (or visit http://www.chireader.com) to check out the country's best music scene. The premier indie rock club these days is the Empty Bottle, at 1034 N. Western Ave. Keep in mind, some of the shows they promote are held elsewhere. Do not plan to get a cab back from this location.

Music - For classical, check out the Lyric Opera of Chicago for world class opera in a gem of a building (though perhaps overly large for perfect acoustics). They are currently showing a delightful Falstaff and close the season this month with Eugene Onegin, which is not to be missed.

Film - Again, check the listings, but the Gene Siskel Film Center is one of the country's premier venues for independent film. This month is the European Union Film Festival.

Food - You simply must go to Avec.

Architecture - Off a beaten path a bit is the Illinois Institute of Technology. Their campus off 35th is reachable by public transit. It was designed by Mies van der Rohe, and also features a stunning Rem Koolhaas designed student center and nice Helmut Jahn designed dormatory. The weather may not cooperate at this time of year, but the Chicago Architectural Foundation's architecture boat cruise is awesome (reservations required). You can also take various Frank Lloyd Wright tours in near west suburban Oak Park. Downtown is full of gems such as the Carbide and Carbon Building (now a Hard Rock Hotel I think), the Inland Steel Building, the Xerox Building, etc.

For museums, skip the MCA. Most of the other museums like the Field Museum and Museum of Science and Industry, which are kid oriented. The place to go is the Art Institute.

Shopping - Oak St. is where it is at, with Barneys, the Hermes and Prada stores, George Green and other boutiques. The fashion forward may also want to check out Jake.

Did I mention Chicago also as the best live theater in the country? Forget the Loop Broadway revivals and get out into the city to the many great places doing cutting edge work. Just buy your tickets in advance.

Again, if you give dates and specific areas of interest, I can try to give better pointers.

Also, for cool indie activities, check out http://flavorpill.com/chicago
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:36 pm

You're staying in a great, central location (although parking will be difficult and expensive). Gary and I are planning to get away to Chicago late April for about a week, and we finally decided to take the train and leave the car because once you get there, a car is sort of a liability, especially if you're planning to stay downtown rather than taking day trips to the outlying areas. I'd recommend that. You'll probably end up spending about the same as you would for parking. I lived there for 25 years, and once Gary and I finally left just a few years ago, the city traffic had turned into pretty much 24 hour rush hour traffic, which is one reason we wanted to finally move.

I dunno whether four days is enough to do justice to Chicago proper and any outlying excursions. And for sure the Wisconsin Dells is farther than I'd prefer to go myself, given the relatively short trip. Chicago traffic has become exceedingly overwhelming over the years, and it's really a major pain getting around in a car.

[I've just googled travel from downtown Chicago to the Wisconsin Dells, and it's roughly 200 miles, which certainly seems right to me, from what I recall.]

I'm pining to get there (we'll be staying in roughly the same area) so I can get out and walk. Chicago is one of the best walking cities on the planet, and really walker-friendly. And it's as easy to grab a cab to get from one place to the next, should you need to.

Depending on the sort of fun you want, you're going to be just a few blocks from Navy Pier, and if the weather's amenable, it's wonderful to get out and walk to the pier and along the lake. When I lived in Lincoln Park, I used to walk for miles and miles and miles, all along the lake between Lincoln Park and down town (the gold coast, etc). You could walk there, if you want a nice long walk, or take the el, which runs maybe ten blocks west of there. The Lincoln Park Zoo is one of the nicest small zoos you'll ever find, I think. And it's right next door to the very beautiful Lincoln Park Conservatory and also the North Pond restaurant. Walk west toward Clark street or Lincoln Avenue and you're in the heart of the the restaurant, bar, shops and theatre area in Lincoln Park.

Either direction north and south and you're sort of along theatre avenue (small theatres off loop and beyond), including Second City, Goodman, Royal George, Steppenwolf, Victory Gardens.

Head just north, and you're in Wrigleyville (or "Lakeview"), still more or less on the lake, with more off-loop theatre and Wrigley Field, an area that's famously known in Chicago for its strong gay community (also known as "boystown) and where they host the massive gay pride parade every year. Some particularly beautiful architectural landmarks, Temple Shalom (on Lake Shore Drive and Cornelius) and Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

And of course from where you're staying, you're surrounded by theatre and restaurants and clubs and bars and beautiful archetictural artifacts. Just walking over the bridge is interesting. The Sun-Times and the Tribune buildings are gorgeous. The Water Tower is there (including Water Tower Place just across the street). You're surrounded by Frank Lloyd Wright, Louis Sullivan (see the Carson Pirie Scott building), Mies van der Rohe, Daniel Burnham, Helmut Jahn, Frank Gehry (Millenium Park). And then there's the Picasso at the Daley Center, the Chagall mosaic at Dearborn and Monroe streets, and the fabulous Cows on Parade, the precursor to Louisville's Gallopalooza.

You'll be right in the center of the blues scene (The Back Room, Buddy Guy's, Blue Chicago, B.L.U.E.S., Andy's). And one of my favorite places, Pops for Champagne, though I've only been to the original in Lincoln Park, not to the one down town (or out north). If you want to catch a cab, the Green Dolphin is sort of cool, a big cave of a place, upscale.

You'll be within walking distance from the Art Institute, the Museum of Contemporary Art, and (a longer walk) the National Vietnam Veteran's Art Museum in the south loop. Cab's distance from the Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry, also favorite places.

If you're interested in Frank Lloyd Wright, there's a nice walking tour in Oak Park (where I was born), the suburb just adjacent the west side of Chicago.

Wicker Park and Buck town, also west of down town and Lincoln Park, are sort of hotbeds of nightlife in an area that is still going through some serious rehabbing and renovation. Off-off loop theatre, good restaurants, small clubs. One of my favorite little restaurants just around the corner from where Gary and I lived on Wicker Park, Cafe Absinthe at the intersection of North and Damen but which you enter through an alley just behind the corner tavern. May be more fun with several folks at once.

Just west of down town is Greek Town where you'll find great Greek food everywhere. The Printer's Row area just south of the loop is a newish area with interesting historical architecture and some good, small restaurants. You'll be too early for the massive book fair in June, but it's a nice place to wander for a bit. Just west of there along Canal and Roosevelt Roads is the famous open-air Maxwell Street market.

But something more to your liking may be the Randolph Street/Fulton Market area. The Fulton Market used to be the really run-down meat packing district with a big open-air market where we'd go to get fresh fish and which has recently been transformed into the newest hot spot for galleries and clubs and restaurants (Blackbird, for example). Here's an interesting story from TNYT: http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/12/03/t ... acing.html.

You'll have to stay a month....

[eta: I see we've all been offering pretty much similar advice all at once.]
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:49 pm

Having lived there most of our lives , would have to agree with NicoleC and AaronM. Renn. They had the same thoughts as I. I would also urge you to check a bit of a hidden Chicago gem, the Garfield Park Conservatory. Much bigger than the one in Lincoln Park, with a better collection of plants. This is one of the last great victorian type conservatories left. Dale Chihuly did an excellent art glass installation there a few years ago that got some good press. May be in bit of a rough neighborhood, but during the day its very worth while to go. Enjoy the lakefront if you can, I think its the best urban waterfront in the states, cant think of another city in the US that has more unobstructed miles of open space. For a real unique take on the city check out some of the great polish grocery stores that are around, my favorite is Gilmart, near Midway airport, stop in for lunch if you have the time.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Sally M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:45 pm

by Sally M » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:59 pm

Rick Bayless Frontera Grill for an unbeatable and casual fresh meal gets my vote - I see someone else mentioned Rick, too.

I love to see and see myself in "the bean" in Millenium Park. It's outdoors and right next to the Art Institute on Michigan Avenue - I'm betting you'll be walking by there at some point, so it should stand right out ...

Have a blast!
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:03 pm

John Hagan wrote:Having lived there most of our lives , would have to agree with NicoleC and AaronM. Renn. They had the same thoughts as I. I would also urge you to check a bit of a hidden Chicago gem, the Garfield Park Conservatory. Much bigger than the one in Lincoln Park, with a better collection of plants. This is one of the last great victorian type conservatories left. Dale Chihuly did an excellent art glass installation there a few years ago that got some good press. May be in bit of a rough neighborhood, but during the day its very worth while to go.

Yes, that's true. I was trying to stay in a more or less contained area, with the exception of Oak Park. And if you're interested in either the Garfield Park Conservatory or the Frank Lloyd Wright tour, they're along the same trajectory, so there's that. The Lincoln Park Conservatory is very small, but it's adjacent and within walking distance of so many things to enjoy along the lakefront.

At some point we'll be having Ethan hollering calf rope.
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Hagan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:11 pm

Okay just tried to post this, but it got lost. Hope it doesnt pop up here twice. Would agree with C.Devlin, forget the trip up to Wisconsin, no need to pass thru the cheddar curtain. I would point out the Maxwell Street Market doesnt really exist anymore. U of Chicago bought up most of that land, moved the market and tried to make it a disney type experience that doesnt work, its quite lame. The scene in the Blues Brothers movie gives you a pretty good idea of what it was like. I got my first polish at a Maxwell Street stand, its the best one I have ever had.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:22 pm

I'd forgotten the Maxwell Street Market was up for relocation and the like. Yikes. On the other hand, it had sort of petered out in its wierd appeal by the end. I wish somebody would buy up the whole of Humboldt Park and do it justice. We used to take our dogs for long walks every day there when we were living in an monstrous industrial building and converting to living space in the Austin area. That was a trip.
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Hagan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:41 pm

Sorry for going off topic, I will stop after this. C.Devlin you might be interested in a project a guy by the name of Phil Ranstrom is doing. Not sure if it is out yet, but he went about the task to put on film the last ten years or so of the market. When they anounced the destruction/moving of the market he knew this would be the last chance to save some part of it. I didnt google it yet, but I am sure its out there. I think its called Cheat you Fair, the story of Maxwell Street. Anyway I guess this is a bit food related, after all its the home of Maxwell Street polish....MMMMMM time to go to Lonnies.
Next