Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Jeff Gillenwater

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:07 pm

The Feds and Food

by Jeff Gillenwater » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:38 pm

With recent discussions about buying local, restaurant sourcing and pricing, and alcohol laws, I thought this NY Times op-ed piece was instructive about what we're dealing with:

My Forbidden Fruits (and Vegetables) by Jack Hedin
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: The Feds and Food

by Deb Hall » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:03 pm

Jeff,

Interesting article- thanks for posting it.

Deb
User

BDKollker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Outside the Box Nashvegas

by BDKollker » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:57 pm

I agree, thanks for posting it. I put it on my website. The more I read and hear about the struggles that farmers face in the struggle to promote natural food the way it is intended to be grown or raised, the harder it is for me to find food I am willing to eat. Since my trip to Spain I have excluded all mass produced meats and have only eaten seafood since. I am not saying that I am a vegetarian and will never eat meat again, I just want to know where it came from and how it was raised. But here in the US it's a hell of a lot tougher to fit my criteria. Such a shame.

Prost!
Blake Kollker

Blakekollker.com
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:44 am

BDKollker wrote:I agree, thanks for posting it. I put it on my website. The more I read and hear about the struggles that farmers face in the struggle to promote natural food the way it is intended to be grown or raised, the harder it is for me to find food I am willing to eat. Since my trip to Spain I have excluded all mass produced meats and have only eaten seafood since. I am not saying that I am a vegetarian and will never eat meat again, I just want to know where it came from and how it was raised. But here in the US it's a hell of a lot tougher to fit my criteria. Such a shame.

Prost!

Where is the seafood that you are eating coming from? I am not aware of much locally sourced seafood. Even wild and line-caught seafood spends a lot of time on boats, planes, and trucks before it gets to Louisville. On the otherhand, it is pretty easy to find beef, pork and chicken that is raised naturally and slaughtered humanely close to home.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:47 am

BDKollker wrote:But here in the US it's a hell of a lot tougher to fit my criteria. Such a shame.

Kentucky Green River cattle at Doll's. Our Best Meats in Sellersburg. Several local farms at summer produce markets. It's not that hard ... we haven't eaten industrial meat at home for several years.
User

BDKollker

{ RANK }

Foodie

by BDKollker » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:19 pm

One of the main problems is that I don't drive so the places in Sellersburg and such are not an option. Ron I agree with you about the shipping and such. I have mainly been eating tuna and shrimp but getting a little burnt out. I am however, really excited about the sushi in the city tonight so that I can go nuts.

Prost!
Blake Kollker

Blakekollker.com
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:14 pm

BDKollker wrote:One of the main problems is that I don't drive so the places in Sellersburg and such are not an option.

Grab some foodie buddies who do drive and go on a meat run! Sellersburg is less than 10 minutes straight up I-65 from downtown Louisville, so it's not like a road trip.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:36 pm

I wish I didn't drive.

I bet you can get a lot of organic, humanely slaughtered beef via mail order.

Valu Market carries grass fed beef.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:56 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:Valu Market carries grass fed beef.

Co-branded with Palermo Viejo, as I recall. I've tried it now and then, but I don't believe it's actually the same beef that Palermo uses.
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

by Jeremy Markle » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:03 pm

This is our local beef here in Frankfort. Quite tasty. Can't wait for the farmer's market to open back up. :)

http://bluegrassmeadowsbeef.com/
or
http://www.kyagr.com/Main.aspx?procedure=show_page(5686)
Check out the new http://www.kentuckyale.com
User

BDKollker

{ RANK }

Foodie

by BDKollker » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:53 pm

Thanks guys for the info, but I am out of here on Monday. I am moving to Nashville to work at Flyte World Dining and Wine Bar. Should be a fun gig that allows me to grow and learn a lot in a short amount of time.

Prost!
Blake Kollker

Blakekollker.com
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:05 pm

BDKollker wrote:Thanks guys for the info, but I am out of here on Monday. I am moving to Nashville to work at Flyte World Dining and Wine Bar. Should be a fun gig that allows me to grow and learn a lot in a short amount of time.

Good luck to ya, guy ... don't be shy about dropping in here and keeping us posted on what you're doing!
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:07 am

BDKollker wrote:Thanks guys for the info, but I am out of here on Monday. I am moving to Nashville to work at Flyte World Dining and Wine Bar. Should be a fun gig that allows me to grow and learn a lot in a short amount of time.

Prost!

Good seeing you that brief moment today my friend (always glad to help with product usage), and best of luck to you and your new adventures with Bobby.
He's gonna have some incredible talent at his right side.

So how did the soy liquid gel go over?
That Ultratex 3 is some incredible stuff, eh? (remember - 8% ratio to liquid!)
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

BDKollker

{ RANK }

Foodie

by BDKollker » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:54 am

Ethan Ray wrote:Good seeing you that brief moment today my friend (always glad to help with product usage), and best of luck to you and your new adventures with Bobby.He's gonna have some incredible talent at his right side.

So how did the soy liquid gel go over?
That Ultratex 3 is some incredible stuff, eh? (remember - 8% ratio to liquid!)

Thanks for the kind words pimp. I got to use it on the first 25 or so samples that were there but when everybody came in at one time it was crazy to get everything together. Henry did a tuna tartar and a salad that I was responsible for and he handled the sushi. It was a really good time and for a good cause.

I could not believe however that two sushi restaurants didn't even bother to show up. The coordinator was calling them at 4:30 asking if they were on their way and I overheard her say that she couldn't believe that they would just not show up after saying they would and people had already purchased their tickets.

Anyways, thanks for the help and I am going to be going full force with everything when I get down there, I can't wait! So don't be alarmed when you get phone calls late at night asking for options.

Thanks for a great year and a fresh revival at the Oakroom. You were definitely a breath of fresh air.

All the best, and keep on keeping on.... no matter what they say!

Prost!
Blake Kollker

Blakekollker.com
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:20 am

Prost!

Blake, keep us posted on the food scene down in Music City.
Next