Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Wine sales in Grocery Stores?

no avatar
User

Ben Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:21 pm

Highlands, Louisville, KY

Re: Wine sales in Grocery Stores?

by Ben Smith » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:55 pm

some people would sell their soul to walmart or kroger... to keep them from driving a lil further down the street or saving a dollar on a bottle. pretty sad..that is why everything in their backyard is owned by someonelse in another city or even another country. <sigh>
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:17 pm

Ben S wrote:some people would sell their soul to walmart or kroger... to keep them from driving a lil further down the street or saving a dollar on a bottle. pretty sad..that is why everything in their backyard is owned by someonelse in another city or even another country. <sigh>

I don't shop at either of those places, but I think it is silly that a person can't buy a bottle of wine in a grocery store.
no avatar
User

Ben Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ben Smith » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:46 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:
Ben S wrote:some people would sell their soul to walmart or kroger... to keep them from driving a lil further down the street or saving a dollar on a bottle. pretty sad..that is why everything in their backyard is owned by someonelse in another city or even another country. <sigh>

I don't shop at either of those places, but I think it is silly that a person can't buy a bottle of wine in a grocery store.

Ron I understand your lament. It does seems silly till you consider why not. I believe there are some good reasons (without repeating them again and again and again) why we can do without wine in the Grocery. I think we have beat this one to death. I respect your opinions. And if wine is meant to have a place at the Supermarket, it will, trust me. In my own journey, I try to consider how my actions may impact my community and those around me, no matter how small or miniscule they may seem. I have HIGH hopes that others will too.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:44 pm

Ben S wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

I think we have beat this one to death. I respect your opinions.

Thanks. I don't think we have beat it to death. I am open to being convinced that selling wine in grocery stores is bad, but I am not seeing it yet. Mainly, I don't see it because I live in a city where it is sold in grocery stores and there are no more Wal-Marts and no fewer independent wine shops here because of it. Also, I am not aware of any increase in children using fake I.D.'s to buy a nice bottle of pinot noir.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:45 pm

Clayton Franklin wrote:I am a twenty-one year old liquor store employee (not far removed from a minor), so naturally I'm opposed to the 585 bill. At my store, training is required for everyone handling an ID, in order to spot a fake. At my store, believe it or not, $50 bounties are paid for confiscated fake IDs. Can you imagine Kroger doing that? or Wal-Mart? Groceries can and do employee minors. How can we expect them to enforce the law against other minors? Allowing children to handle, stock and sell wine, as well as putting the responsibility of positively identifying a customer in their hands, is irresponsible.

Grocery stores, etc do employ minors. However they are not allowed to check out alcohol. They have to call a person over twenty one to do so. They can't even take the money. I picked up some beer earlier today and the young lady had to call someone else to scan the beer and take the money.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:51 pm

As a mother of young children, I can say that this law keeps me from buying wine altogether.

Our local liquor stores are wonderful, and they deserve supporting, but they are designed for the childless. I have to hire a sitter just to go out and buy a simple bottle of wine. It's a nightmare for someone watching little kids: wine piled up at the end of rows, bottles supported by nothing other than an opened box, narrow aisles...it's like they're asking for breakage. Forget browsing...it's all I can do to keep the stock intact. Not to mention strapping all the kids into their carseats for a trip to yet another store. Whole Foods is a godsend because it's virtually in the store; I can just dash in and buy something.

As I said, I'm all for local stores, but there are other considerations.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:41 pm

Eliza W wrote:As a mother of young children, I can say that this law keeps me from buying wine altogether.

Our local liquor stores are wonderful, and they deserve supporting, but they are designed for the childless. I have to hire a sitter just to go out and buy a simple bottle of wine. It's a nightmare for someone watching little kids: wine piled up at the end of rows, bottles supported by nothing other than an opened box, narrow aisles...it's like they're asking for breakage. Forget browsing...it's all I can do to keep the stock intact. Not to mention strapping all the kids into their carseats for a trip to yet another store. Whole Foods is a godsend because it's virtually in the store; I can just dash in and buy something.

What a great point. I never even thought of that perspective.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:05 pm

Eliza W wrote:
As a mother of young children, I can say that this law keeps me from buying wine altogether.

Eliza,

Amen; definitely been there! For the same reason, I learned to buy many of our specialty foods from Liquor Bar. And as an aside: for years I couldn't go to Lotsa Pasta but very rarely: you can't take a stroller in there- too many things to grab and not enough aisle space.

Deb
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:39 pm

Eliza W wrote:As a mother of young children, I can say that this law keeps me from buying wine altogether.

i'm not sure how the the whole foods wine shop is a godsend, if you have to leave your children outside the wine shop, how is it any different from leaving them outside of a liquor store??
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:22 pm

KIds under 21 are allowed in Liquor stores- they just can't handle the product (I learned that one the hard way when my daughter was 6 or 7- I had her carry a bottle to the cashier for me - my arms were full.) The convenience part of the issue is avoiding multiple trips in and out of the car/car seat.

Deb
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:11 am

Shawn Vest wrote:

i'm not sure how the the whole foods wine shop is a godsend, if you have to leave your children outside the wine shop, how is it any different from leaving them outside of a liquor store??

She explains why.
no avatar
User

Ben Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ben Smith » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:36 am

... For my city dwelling friends there is something coming to your neighborhood soon.. much like the Grocery with Wine. The old Kentucky Theater (situated on 4th street between the Brown Hotel and the Palace Theater) is being transformed into "Theater Square Marketplace." It will house a Wine and Spirits shop, a gourmet grocery, a florist, something like a deli or a bistro (unsure of concept at this point), art gallery, bagel and coffee Kiosk (Nancy's Bagels), as well as a small cocktail or wine bar to have a drink while shopping or catching up with a friend, and many common areas (including patio seating in the rear) to enjoy your lunch, wine, soda, or coffee...All of this under one roof, no doubt. Lastly for my fellow fans of convenience.. I hear there may be valet... The Wine Shop (Theater Square Wine and Spirits) is open as well as the Florist(wildflowers)... approximately 3 - 6 mos time table on the rest.

After much discussion, I suppose my cover is blown. I am the manager of the wine shop. I hope you will understand my bias, though at this time there are not many supermarket options in my area. This may not directly effect me, but I understand the lament of other small business owners. I hope everyone has a good, snowy, and safe weekend.

Theater Square Wine and Spirits
651 S.4th Street
Louisville, KY 40202
(502)625-3001
no avatar
User

Ben Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ben Smith » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:33 am

I have to plug Old Town for our friends with children..(this doesnt really help if you are in the East End)...but the drive thru window is great. You and the kids can pull up just like McDonalds and tell them what you want. Not sure, ask for a recommendation, someone there always has a good recommendation. They have given my pup some treats, and are very friendly.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:01 pm

You don't have a trunk in your car?
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:36 pm

Ben S wrote:... For my city dwelling friends there is something coming to your neighborhood soon.. much like the Grocery with Wine. The old Kentucky Theater (situated on 4th street between the Brown Hotel and the Palace Theater) is being transformed into "Theater Square Marketplace." It will house a Wine and Spirits shop, a gourmet grocery, a florist, something like a deli or a bistro (unsure of concept at this point), art gallery, bagel and coffee Kiosk (Nancy's Bagels), as well as a small cocktail or wine bar to have a drink while shopping or catching up with a friend, and many common areas (including patio seating in the rear) to enjoy your lunch, wine, soda, or coffee...All of this under one roof, no doubt. Lastly for my fellow fans of convenience.. I hear there may be valet... The Wine Shop (Theater Square Wine and Spirits) is open as well as the Florist(wildflowers)... approximately 3 - 6 mos time table on the rest.

After much discussion, I suppose my cover is blown. I am the manager of the wine shop. I hope you will understand my bias, though at this time there are not many supermarket options in my area. This may not directly effect me, but I understand the lament of other small business owners. I hope everyone has a good, snowy, and safe weekend.

Theater Square Wine and Spirits
651 S.4th Street
Louisville, KY 40202
(502)625-3001

awesome! that is going to be a great addition to the area.
PreviousNext