Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Wine sales in Grocery Stores?

no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Wine sales in Grocery Stores?

by Mark R. » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:27 pm

Jay M. wrote:If the ratios were such that you didn't use all of a mini bottle they would hold the unused product for you until you ordered a second drink, which, of course, encouraged you to drink more. Amazing.

The mini bottle law has been abolished.

If you were lucky or knew the bartender they saved the unused portion, if not it disappeared so you have to buy another one for the next drink. I think the bases that the drinks were stronger is the reason they finally abolished it! Interesting enough though I don't remember drinks be any more expensive in South Carolina than they were anyplace else.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

by Holly C » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:52 am

Here's another funky state when it comes to alcohol: Pennsylvania

Wine and liquor (not beer) are only sold at Wine and Spirits Shoppes (and all liquor stores are called "Wine and Spirits Shoppe").
Beer in cases (but not in six packs) are sold at beer distributors (some are walk-in, some are drive-through).
Beer in six-packs can be bought at some bars.
When I was moving here, I think they were in the process of letting a single Wegman's in the entire state install one of those next-door-with-a-different-door wine/spirits sections.

And of course, when I lived in Philly, there was never a Wine and Spirits Shoppe close to a beer distributor, so you had to make a million trips to get anything done.
no avatar
User

Aaron M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:52 am

Louisville

by Aaron M » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:55 am

Hi everyone. This is my first post. Love the forums.

I was farily furious after reading the C-J this morning so I sent an email to Rep. Joni Jenkins. If anyone wants to contact her (I sent her an email this morning), here is her webpage...

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/legislator/H044.htm

The louder the response, the more likely this can happen. I have never understood why you can't get wine in grocery stores here. I agree about how cool it would be to get a Trader Joe's in Louisville.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:38 am

I am very disappointed in Rep. Jenkins.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:42 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Ken Wilson wrote:I lived in Rochester NY for 35 years and I have to say, it's great to be back in the enlightened state of Kentucky! In New York, liquor stores are open from 9 to 9. That's it. It was only three years ago they allowed Sunday sales - but if you open on Sunday, you have to close another day. If you have a party and run out of a wine after 9, tough luck. And liquor stores can't sell beer. "Beer on whiskey, mighty risky..." As a matter of fact, they can't sell anything else - no food, no products. It was just a few years ago they allowed the sale of corkscrews. You heard me: corkscrews

Of course, you can't buy wine or liquor any place except liquor stores. When friends from NY visit and see Maker's and merlot in a drug store, they freak. We had some friends here recently and had a great wine at L & N. They couldn't believe we could run into Old Towne at 11 pm, after our dinner, and buy another bottle. Those poor culturally deprived New Yorkers.

As for sales of wine in grocery stores, well, it will be nice to know it's there, but with all the great wine shops around us here in St Matthews, I doubt we'll be using the opportunity much.

Ken, I'm also some Rochester and you forgot one of the other interesting weird liquor laws. The one that states liquor stores can't be open while the polls are open on election day! Must be they figured votes could be bought at liquor stores?

Of course while New York has some unusual laws regarding liquor stores, the laws regarding bars are quite lenient. When I lived in South Carolina they had a law that required all drinks in a bar to be made using mini bottles (like those used in airplanes)! The purpose supposedly was to ensure that everyone got a fair "POUR" but all it did was make drinks cost more and limit the availability of many liquors since many top shelf brands are not made in mini bottles.

Kentucky is also Dry on Election Day. I beleave it's a federal mandate. If the polls are open, the bar is closed.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:50 pm

Bill Veneman wrote:
Mark R. wrote:
Ken Wilson wrote:I lived in Rochester NY for 35 years and I have to say, it's great to be back in the enlightened state of Kentucky! In New York, liquor stores are open from 9 to 9. That's it. It was only three years ago they allowed Sunday sales - but if you open on Sunday, you have to close another day. If you have a party and run out of a wine after 9, tough luck. And liquor stores can't sell beer. "Beer on whiskey, mighty risky..." As a matter of fact, they can't sell anything else - no food, no products. It was just a few years ago they allowed the sale of corkscrews. You heard me: corkscrews

Of course, you can't buy wine or liquor any place except liquor stores. When friends from NY visit and see Maker's and merlot in a drug store, they freak. We had some friends here recently and had a great wine at L & N. They couldn't believe we could run into Old Towne at 11 pm, after our dinner, and buy another bottle. Those poor culturally deprived New Yorkers.

As for sales of wine in grocery stores, well, it will be nice to know it's there, but with all the great wine shops around us here in St Matthews, I doubt we'll be using the opportunity much.

Ken, I'm also some Rochester and you forgot one of the other interesting weird liquor laws. The one that states liquor stores can't be open while the polls are open on election day! Must be they figured votes could be bought at liquor stores?

Of course while New York has some unusual laws regarding liquor stores, the laws regarding bars are quite lenient. When I lived in South Carolina they had a law that required all drinks in a bar to be made using mini bottles (like those used in airplanes)! The purpose supposedly was to ensure that everyone got a fair "POUR" but all it did was make drinks cost more and limit the availability of many liquors since many top shelf brands are not made in mini bottles.

Kentucky is also Dry on Election Day. I beleave it's a federal mandate. If the polls are open, the bar is closed.

This holds true for Indiana as well. When I first saw the date for the Indiana Primary this year (May 6th I believe) my initial worry was that I was going to be closed on a day during Derby week! A quick scan of the calendar took care of that worry. We call the time that we can open after the polls close "The fastest 30 minutes in liquor retail". I usually have a line of people waiting to come in the store at the 6:00PM mark. I usually call it our built in maintenance day, knowing we will be closed during the election time, and I never have an excuse not to vote!
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:47 pm

This is one of the few areas where Louisiana (or at least the New Orleans area) is more progressive than the rest of the country. Twenty-four hour liquor sales, seven days a week. Grocery stores sell wine and spirits along with beer. Heck, you can even get a margarita in a styrofoam cup at a drive-thru.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:50 pm

Richard S. wrote:This is one of the few areas where Louisiana (or at least the New Orleans area) is more progressive than the rest of the country. Twenty-four hour liquor sales, seven days a week. Grocery stores sell wine and spirits along with beer. Heck, you can even get a margarita in a styrofoam cup at a drive-thru.

:evil: This may have something to do with their high crime rate! It certainly doesn't help. :evil:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Ben Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:21 pm

Highlands, Louisville, KY

by Ben Smith » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:34 pm

I am sure Trader Joe's is lovely, no doubt. But I wouldnt trade the smiles at Old Town...or any other original and unique Louisville establishments for a replica of a hot grocery sprinkled throughout the US. With that said I am aware of what Trader Joes offers... the fruit is awfully tempting. One must consider it with caution.. and weigh its impact locally both good and bad. Also addressing the convenience of Wine in the grocery.. I can buy that argument. It was said that one may miss out on the great knowledge of the wine shops, and be left to guessing to make a decision . That is true, and for the seasoned connoiseur that may not be an issue. Another thing one might miss out on and continues to dissipate, is the interaction between retailer and consumer... while some welcome this great independence.. I think we as a society need that interaction.. that makes us a community. Grocery Stores, Gas Stations, Banks, and many other outlets used to be a source of interaction that was healthy for our neighborhoods. Increasingly, there is no communication at all. Isolation is on tap everywhere. I am not sure if I was clear.... I guess what I am getting at... convenience is not always what is best for us as individuals, community, or our community's identity. Food for thought.
no avatar
User

BillAndrews

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:40 pm

by BillAndrews » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:39 pm

"I guess what I am getting at... convenience is not always what is best for us as individuals, community, or our community's identity. Food for thought."

Amen to that, brother. I worry what the impact would be on our local liquor stores; and frankly, one should have to go a little out of their way to get booze.
no avatar
User

Aaron M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:52 am

Louisville

by Aaron M » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:10 am

You can already get booze in grocery stores. It's called beer, malt liquor, and malt "beverages" like Zima and Smirnov Ice. Explain the difference between that and wine.

Most people who go to wine stores for the customer service will still go to wine stores for customer service. People who want liquor will still have to go to liquor stores. People who want a bottle of Bonterra to go with dinner will be able to get it at the supermarket.

I'm sure if they invent cars that run on water, would you oppose it because it will hurt our local gas stations and put people out of a job? And univeral health care would hurt the local health insurance agents, right? :wink:

Yeah yeah, that's a stretch, I know, but I'm trying to make a point.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:18 am

I am a big time supporter of local wine shops. I spend a disproportionate share of my income in many of them on a regular basis. That said, I see no downside to selling wine in the grocery store. If anything it will only broaden the appeal of wine to an untapped market. I like being able to walk into the Fresh Market in Cincinnati and grab a bottle of wine to go with the steak I pick up there. It doesn't have an especially good selection of wine, and I would never go there just to buy wine. I still go to the small, locally owned wine shops to buy my mixed cases of everyday drinking wines and special occassion splurges, and allowing sales in groecery stores isn't going to change that.
There have been wine sales in the food markets in Paris for decades, and the dedicated wine shops still thrive.
no avatar
User

Ben Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ben Smith » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:16 am

It seems there are not many that ride the fence on this one.. Aaron I have to ask, Are there any locally-owned gas stations anymore? Or maybe we just roll in swipe our card fill our tanks and send our money to anywhere(with some luck, our money is building a trader joe's somewhere, just kidding).. and drive on. While there may not be the same service as yesteryear, this way is certainly more convenient. ....... Ron, how can you compare a Paris consumer market to Louisville. Wine is much more an integral part of their culture, perhaps even more than bourbon in Kentucky. That just isnt fair... And lastly, I know we are inundated with Bonterra everywhere in Louisville (Brown-Forman)...but is it really that bad? Or has its frequency made it seem generic? It is not at the top of my list, but not bad. Its organic too.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:17 am

Ben S wrote: I know we are inundated with Bonterra everywhere in Louisville (Brown-Forman)...but is it really that bad? Or has its frequency made it seem generic? It is not at the top of my list, but not bad. Its organic too.

I like Bonterra, and consider it (along with Sonoma-Cutrer) among Brown-Forman's best wine properties.
no avatar
User

Ben Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ben Smith » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:23 am

Also just to make it clear, I am not on my soapbox for persons' jobs. Ex. Local Gas Station Employees, Local Health Insurance Agents
I am speaking for my local independent shops and their owners. Their contributions are part of a brand or collective identity that makes Louisville unique and so damn special...
PreviousNext