Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Wine sales in Grocery Stores?

no avatar
User

Ben Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:21 pm

Highlands, Louisville, KY

Re: Wine sales in Grocery Stores?

by Ben Smith » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:18 am

Ron, I hope that would remain true. The dollar is mighty.I said they were reluctant.. I didnt say they dont or wouldnt. Alot of great wines and good vintage spirits never see any store shelves..their first priority is to keep it rolling in the restaurants. So much allocation goes to the restaurants There are exceptions..Old Town being a great one. With the reputation they have..and the market they cater to.. they really know how to pull some strings.(God Love Em, We really are fortunate to have them.)

While Kacher or Lynch's wines wouldnt be in the Supermarket, plenty of other great wines would be. (in fact the majority of wines would be available, still having an impact on small retailers) And for the record, I am pickin up some of Bobby Kachers ,Les Enfants Terribles for our shop, come grab a bottle.(just thoud i would slide that in)

The truth of the matter is that with the loss leaders, purchasing power, politics, and ability to shoot prices low..........The playing field just isnt level for Supermarkets and independent establishments.
no avatar
User

Ben Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ben Smith » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:52 am

Ron Johnson wrote:
Ben S wrote:I do not want to take away from large distributors either..their size and success is built on some of the largest and oldest (if not famous) brands in the world. I have on good account (above the distributor level) that producers, wine makers, and master distillers are reluctant to relegate the selling of their products to non informed chain grocers (i guess krogers could have a sommelier)especially among their artisan items. When that happens brand image kinda goes down the tube.. there is not much control on education or how to sell..like in Restaurants and Local Shops.

exactly, and it's why you don't have to worry about Kermit Lynch and Bobby Kacher wines appearing on the shelves in Wal-Mart. People will still go to Old Town for those.

In the industry, the sweet spot..or the price point that make up the most revenue here in Kentucky doesnt include too many wines like Kermit Lynch's or Robert Kacher's.(Last months Kentucky Beverage Journal featured the issue on their cover) We can afford to have some of our top notch wines in the shops ....because of profit and volume sold from lesser or more economical brands.

The legislation is dead for now..and if it comes back again and succeeds.... I hope I am wrong, I hope your viewpoint is accurate.

In my head I am thinking I have already spent too much time on this thread.(I am sure others are thinking "enough already!") So I am done.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:13 am

I think it is a very interesting issue. I hate Kroger and Wal-Mart, but I'd like to find a way to screw them while still being able to pick up a bottle of chianti at Lots Pasta along with some pasta and red sauce.
no avatar
User

David Lange

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:11 am

Louisville

When is enough enough?

by David Lange » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:29 pm

Now that we have reached the 8th page of this way too lenghty discussion, it looks like it's a Ron Johnson vs. Ben S. slugfest. With Ron's 23 posts and Ben's 27 it looks like they'll never reach a solution on this matter. So hey guys, give it a rest or just take it outside. If you have to write to each other, then just PM each other and you can challenge each other to your heart's content. This topic is really getting old.
David Lange
" Life's too short to drink bad coffee"
no avatar
User

Ben Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ben Smith » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:53 pm

David.. mind your own business. If you look at the last few posts, we have come to some kind of conclusion. I mean really.. it is lame that you took the time to count our posts. Maybe you should contribute something of substance rather than take a shot at Ron and I. These threads are for sharing info..not telling others what to do.
no avatar
User

Ben Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ben Smith » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:59 pm

You dont have to look at the thread David.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: When is enough enough?

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:21 pm

David Lange wrote:Now that we have reached the 8th page of this way too lenghty discussion, it looks like it's a Ron Johnson vs. Ben S. slugfest. With Ron's 23 posts and Ben's 27 it looks like they'll never reach a solution on this matter. So hey guys, give it a rest or just take it outside. If you have to write to each other, then just PM each other and you can challenge each other to your heart's content. This topic is really getting old.

Then why are not only reading it, but counting our posts?

And to think that all this time I have been under the impression that you were a nice guy.
no avatar
User

David Lange

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:11 am

Louisville

by David Lange » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:18 pm

Ouch!!! (Ducking for cover)
David Lange
" Life's too short to drink bad coffee"
no avatar
User

JMasticola

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:23 pm

by JMasticola » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:26 pm

"Can't we all just get along."
Rodney King
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:00 pm

jmasticola wrote:"Can't we all just get along."
Rodney King

whatever happened to Rodney?
no avatar
User

Bret Donaldson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:14 am

by Bret Donaldson » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:47 am

Ron Johnson wrote: whatever happened to Rodney?

From Wikipedia...

After the riots King was awarded $3.8 million in a civil case, and used some of the money to start a hip hop music label, Straight Alta-Pazz Recording Company.[8] He subsequently moved to Rialto, California. King also made a cameo on an episode of BET's ComicView.

He was arrested again for spousal assault in 1999. In 2001, he was then ordered to undergo a year of drug treatment after pleading guilty to three counts of being under the influence of PCP and one of indecent exposure.[9]

On August 27, 2003, he was arrested again on similar charges as in 1991. It is alleged that King was speeding, ran a red light while under the influence of alcohol, failed to yield to police officers, and then slammed his SUV into a house, breaking his pelvis.[10]

While riding to his home in San Bernardino, California on November 29, 2007, he was shot in the face, arms, back and torso with birdshot by two thieves attempting to steal his bicycle , but police characterized his injuries as "not life threatening".

WAYYY off topic. I never expected my original post to lead to this.
Bret Donaldson
Owner

Stellar Craft Catering &
Stellar Event Managament
Previous