Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Request for Advice

no avatar
User

Brian H

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:45 pm

Request for Advice

by Brian H » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:57 pm

A group of 10 of us are coming to Louisville for the first time over Derby weekend and are looking for a place for dinner on Friday night.

Any suggestions for a good private room?

We won't be too loud a group, so a place that takes large reservations outside a private room would be great too.

Thanks in advance.
no avatar
User

Broc Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Request for Advice

by Broc Smith » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:01 pm

Many places are already booked. Act fast.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:20 pm

Brian H wrote:A group of 10 of us are coming to Louisville for the first time over Derby weekend and are looking for a place for dinner on Friday night.

Any suggestions for a good private room?

We won't be too loud a group, so a place that takes large reservations outside a private room would be great too.

Thanks in advance.

You can look for restaurant reviews here. http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/

As stated, many places will be booked. So act quickly and be prepared to make a lot of phone calls.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:33 pm

And we mean start now. Today, as a matter of fact.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:40 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:And we mean start now. Today, as a matter of fact.

Might OpenTable.com be a good option for procrastinating Derby visitors? I haven't tried it myself, but it gets a lot of posts here as an incredible resource for reservations at popular spots on difficult dates.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi Brian,
I'm sure that in addition to the advice to act quick, we could also offer many suggestions. The people on this board have many places that they love. Perhaps you could indulge what type of budget you would like to stay in to narrow suggestions down. Also, are you looking for a particular atmosphere? Where are you staying? Would you like something close to your accomadations?
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ed Vermillion wrote:And we mean start now. Today, as a matter of fact.

Might OpenTable.com be a good option for procrastinating Derby visitors? I haven't tried it myself, but it gets a lot of posts here as an incredible resource for reservations at popular spots on difficult dates.

It's worth a shot.

As is calling, finding out if a reservation is available...
and if not, being put on the waiting list that most restaurants will have for those nights.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Brian H

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Brian H » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:47 pm

Thanks for the advice so far...it seems as though my plan of waiting until two months before to plan this dinner may have been shortsighted.

We're a group of 10 professional guys, 26-29 years old, and we'd happily spend $25-30 on entrees (but we would spend less, too) with associated costs in appetizers, wine, drinks, etc. More than anything, what I'm really looking for is something "fun," i.e., a place that has an atmosphere where we won't stick out like a sore thumb as a large group, and a room that might already be a little on the loud side so if our conversation elevates, we won't bother others.
no avatar
User

Brian H

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Brian H » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:50 pm

...and we're staying near the airport, but we'll have transportation, so can go anywhere, really.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:03 pm

Just a few favorites off the top of my head:

http://www.felicevineyards.com Really cool space both inside and out. Scroll down for contact info.

It is connected (same buiding) to a fantastic italian restaurant; Melillo's. http://www.melillos.com/restaurant.html

http://www.saffronsrestaurant.com Excellent persian cuisine with one of the finest, friendliest host and staff in Louisville. They have a great room.

Good luck and have a great visit.
no avatar
User

Michele Melillo-Clem

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 am

East Market Street

by Michele Melillo-Clem » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi Brian . We do have an opening at Melillo's on East Market Street for Oaks night. We are totally booked for Derby but would love to have you on Friday. There is a bocce ball court outside the restaurant and we are currently under construction covering our logia for the summer months. Please take a moment to visit our website at Melillos.com. There may be a few changes to the Oaks menu but I'm certain that it will be a fun place for 10 of you. The winery will be open next door for tastings. Let me know soon, as we only have a few open spots left. Whatever your choice, enjoy your trip to Louisville. We have a wonderful city and I'm sure wherever you go, you'll not be disappointed. Another website you should visit is Louisvilleoriginals.com which features local businesses, local owners and over the top choices. Good luck!
It's the hand of the cook that expresses the heart.

Michele Melillo-Clem
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:02 pm

We tell all the guests in our B&B to be sure and make their dinner reservations for Derby weekend no later than Feb.1. Having said that you have a few options.

Jump on the Melillo's offer.
Increase your budget. Many, if not most places will do fixed price dinners.
Use Open Table.

Do not hestitate.