Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

BDKollker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Outside the Box Nashvegas

Who loves lemons in their drinks?

by BDKollker » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:27 pm

I for one like to ask for a nice refreshing slice of lemon in my water when I am dining out. I like the extra feces flavor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeye8wnBJoU

Prost!
Last edited by BDKollker on Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blake Kollker

Blakekollker.com
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Who loves lemons in their drinks?

by Doogy R » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:09 pm

BDKollker wrote:I for one like to ask for a nice refreshing slice of lemon in my water when I am dining out. But after watching this I might think twice....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeye8wnBJoU

Prost!

I prefer lime, but will take lemon if the place doesn't have it. That video won't keep me from getting lime or lemon. I worked in the food biz for 24 years and have probably seen most everything. Think about how dirty your keyboard and mouse are as you type your input to BD's post.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:15 am

I like lemon with my water and with my scotch (on the rocks)
no avatar
User

Gary Michael

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm

by Gary Michael » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:25 am

"I for one like to ask for a nice refreshing slice of lemon in my water when I am dining out. I like the extra feces flavor."

Someone has gotta do it, so I will volunteer, what is "extra feces flavor"? I know it's probably a typo, but what the hell???
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:56 am

Gary Michael wrote:"I for one like to ask for a nice refreshing slice of lemon in my water when I am dining out. I like the extra feces flavor."

Someone has gotta do it, so I will volunteer, what is "extra feces flavor"? I know it's probably a typo, but what the hell???

watch the video.
...simple enough to see what he's getting at.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Michele Melillo-Clem

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 am

East Market Street

by Michele Melillo-Clem » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:12 pm

I'm wondering . . . my servers are required to wash the lemons before they cut them for serving. Do you think
that would make a difference?
It's the hand of the cook that expresses the heart.

Michele Melillo-Clem
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:27 pm

michele melillo-clem wrote:I'm wondering . . . my servers are required to wash the lemons before they cut them for serving. Do you think
that would make a difference?

I think following the sanitation rules in general that would give a place an A rating in Jefferson County would ensure lemon safety, Michele. This video is fun, but it does strike me as the kind of sensational TV stuff that usually runs during ratings sweep weeks. Using "fecal bacteria" as synonym for "e. coli", for instance.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:57 pm

Uugh I am not even going to watch!
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:12 pm

I only like lemon in my iced tea and I always ask for extra lemons.

When I was serving, we always used a clean cutting board and knife, but we always handled the lemons. Luckily, I'm a OCD handwasher, but I don't know about everyone else.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:57 pm

Heather Y wrote:Uugh I am not even going to watch!

It's not that bad.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:06 pm

Automatic lemon is a pet peeve of mine, but I'm resigned to it. So I ALWAYS ask for my water "no lemon, please". So I only get one about 75% of the time (!!).

It might seem no big deal to just remove it and put it on the table, but A: I don't want to put it directly onto the tabletop or tablecloth, and B: the rim of the glass tastes like lemon, and I don't want lemon-flavored water! That's why I asked for it without the lemon!

But I've never asked for a replacement water. I just sigh.

Also, I like a lime with my bourbon, and I guess it's just such and unusual request that bartenders can't seem to remember from the time I order until the time they pour the drink...
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:45 am

I am so with you, Marsha, I hate anything in my water save ice. I also get cranky when a lemon automatically comes with my diet coke.
no avatar
User

Gary Michael

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm

by Gary Michael » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:03 am

I agree with Robin that this video is part of some sweeps-week local TV hysteria. And Michelle, I am glad to hear you're washing your lemons. It occurs to me that never in my many years as restaurant employee, diner and drinker have I ever seen citrus of any kind rinsed before a waiter or bartender cut it up. There are so many opportunities in the food chain for contamination (produce grown, picked, packed and shipped from countries where oversight is negligible, USA meatpackers that are insufficiently inspected, and poorly trained or indifferent restaurant employees) it's a wonder more people don't get sick. I wonder how many times we think we are suffering from a cold or mild flu when the real culprit is food poisoning.
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:09 am

Had lemon in my water w/dinner at Bristol/Hurstbourne last evening and (as always) no adverse side effects...of course, that Scotch I also had may have neutralized the bacterial contamination..... 8)
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:53 am

I have also found that scotch works well as an anti-contaminant. In a pinch gin will work too but you have to drink lots of it. :wink:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
Next