Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

Re: Louisville Independent Business Alliance

by David Clancy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:27 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Doogy R wrote:Also, are any/all of those benefits of a chain all that bad?

In this instance i was talking about Gannett Corp., an anti-union, corner-cutting operation that has taken the Louisville metro newspaper out of the top 10 in the US and even out of the top 100 in the US. They increased the annual return on investment from the 2 percent that the Binghams claimed to a stunning 27 percent, and that money, sir, goes to the stockholders who, by and large, are not local people.

No, not all chains are bad. If you paid one iota of attention in this forum you would understand that no one ever said that. But in newspapers and in restaurants and in most other corporate fields of endeavor, larger chains certainly TEND toward a quarterly balance sheet view that puts the interests of the stockholders ahead of all else, including the workers and the consumers. That's a problem, and it strongly tends to separate chains from local companies, particularly in the restaurant business.

But you'll have to show me where anyone in this forum ever said (except possibly in exasperated jest) that all chains are always bad. You can look at my own restaurant reviews - as recently as my positive review of Buca di Beppo, which had a lot of people here jumping on me - to see that I never said that.
Chains again?? COOL!!! Robin, you took a lot of flack for the Buca review but it was spot-on, as is this post. I opened that store and can (have) said that everything changes, particularly when a company goes public (when I opened it, it was still a small privately held company with a good idea). Once companies go public, everything changes. As a means of expanding at break-neck speed to satisfy stock holders whose primary concern is a return on their investment and relative growth, cost cuts, labor cuts, and, ultimately, quality become the sacrificial lamb. Your tenure with Gannett mirrors mine at Buca/Morton's/et.al. While they do bring jobs and money, they take away the soul and individuality of the local marketplace, and, over the long-haul......I think that is a bad thing! I believe I said it before (when the chain topic came up....yet again...), that it reminds me of the "Grey World" of the "Lathe of Heaven" where sameness is the status-quo. I don't object to chains per-se, just what they do to homogonize our world for the sake of bottom-line profits, and what they do to squash the local competition out of existance......
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

BillAndrews

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:40 pm

by BillAndrews » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:04 am

As a long, long-time lurker and only recently an occasional poster, I've noticed that there seems no more contentious issue on this board than chains vs. independents. (I recall one post, thankfully removed, in which supporters of chains were likened to Jews who assisted Nazis at the camps in choosing who should live and who should die.) I'm glad that the rhetoric these days is kinder and gentler. I'm all for keeping Louisville weird. Just not if the trade-off is hating my neighbors.

Here are my faves which, I will be the first to admit, are neither adventurous nor highly cultured.

Favorite chain(s): BoomBozz/Panera/Morton's (I think the show & tell servers are required to perform -- "This is a potato" -- is ridiculous, though amusing. "A potato? Are you sure?")

Favorite independent(s): Lilly's/Jack Fry's/Stevens & Stevens -- (what an awesome strip of Bardstown road!)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:26 am

BillAndrews wrote:(I recall one post, thankfully removed, in which supporters of chains were likened to Jews who assisted Nazis at the camps in choosing who should live and who should die.)

Welcome out of "lurk" status, Bill!

I do have to say, though, that I don't remember ever seeing a post like that on this forum, nor removing one.

I wouldn't liken Boombozz to Panera or Morton's, by the way. One of the several subsidiary discussions of the chain issue has to do with when a local company morphs into a chain as it expands. It's about more than numbers, I think, but in my opinion, as long as the owner stays (1) local and (2) personally involved, and quality doesn't show degradation inversely proportional to growth, it's not a "chain" in the pejorative sense.

Boombozz, to me, is a classic example of a growing local company that doesn't meet the negative criteria for "chain," although I'm not so sure the same can be said of J. Gumbo's.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:39 am

Carla,
To get back to advertising, LIBA's intent is to advertise in the LEO although it doesn't benefit some of the members, it is good overall. We have not worked through the logistics yet.
Local advertising will be the focus for LIBA as well as some of it's members, again I can only speak for myself. LEO is an avenue we discussed. As for the Louisville Originals, There are a couple Of Louisville Originals that are members, but LIBA is a much wider scope of businesses. We have artists, Lodge furniture manufacturer, advertising, web design, hardware store, coffee shops, music store (instruments), music store (CD/DVD), health food, etc. We are a wide group of independently owned businesses hoping to change the publics awareness to purchase from an independent first.
I do agree that not all chains are bad and that sometimes in all industries that is the only option or known option. We won't all buy solely from independents, it is unrealistic given the range of businesses, although our focus is to put the independent first and change the way the public thinks.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:36 pm

Thank you Kurt for your thoughtful and sensible response. I doubt that any of us would be able to shop/advertise/educate/medicate/ruminate or anything else totally locally. I think a second thought should be given, by all of us, as to what not only benefits ourselves but our community as well. The last thing any of us want is a city full of nothing but strip malls and People magazines. Neither do we want to become a city of separatists. I thank you for reminding us of some of the ways we can stimulate our local economy.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:31 am

This is straight from the website on the goals of Buy Local First, Keep Louisville Weird.
http://www.keeplouisvilleweird.com/index.htm

The mission of LIBA is to preserve the unique community character of the Metro Louisville area by promoting locally-owned businesses and to educate citizens on the value of shopping locally.
In order to pursue its mission, LIBA will focus on three primary initiatives:

1.Informing citizens of the value provided by locally owned businesses, including their importance to the local economy, culture, and social fabric. The goal is to encourage area residents to view themselves as citizens -- as members of a community rather than merely as consumers.

2.Offering group branding, promotion and advertising to LIBA membersto elevate the individual and collective profiles of locally owned businesses in order to provide marketing and exposure advantages chains routinely enjoy.

3.Creating strong relationships with local government and media in order to inform local decision-making and give voice to the locally owned independent business community, and to promote policies that support community-rooted enterprise.
Kurt

no avatar
User

Leslie Stewart

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:24 pm

by Leslie Stewart » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:54 pm

Just now saw this and thought I should chime in since my name was mentioned earlier in the thread. I've not been directly involved with either the Keep Louisville Weird campaign nor the Louisville Independent Business Alliance since July of 2006, so I'm sorry if any KLW participants weren't adequately notified of subsequent developments or happenings. That was part of the problem - we just didn't have the infrastructure to accommodate the interest generated by the initial campaign. And, unlike Louisville Originals, which had a uniquely common thread for forward movement, it was difficult for KLW/LIBA to make certain decisions on the very topics mentioned - how does one determine weirdness? After all, local franchise owners still consider themselves local citizens, and some of them own locally-based franchises. Not all participating businesses were especially keen on being deemed "weird," either, which is why the Buy Local First campaign is useful and important. Another issue has been finding common ground for the group's direction amongst such a diverse group of retailers such as book and record stores, and service providers such as waste management companies and payroll services. Very difficult, even with great people on the board and the good support of the American Independent Business Alliance (AMIBA). I'm thrilled that the organization is reclaiming its momentum and getting some new press, though, and if anyone has any questions, please contact Julie Purcell directly through the KLW website.

BTW, LEO, although owned by an Erie, PA entity, is totally committed to the Keep Louisville Weird and Buy Local First campaigns, and has already given the group tremendous amounts of free advertising over the years as well as significant editorial space, and their target demographic is the one these businesses want to reach.
Last edited by Leslie Stewart on Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:32 pm

I believe that LIBA realized their short comings and have made significant changes at moving forward. There is also a renewed vigor with a different group of members with great ideas. Although the Louisville Originals were able to move forward faster due to a group of like businesses I believe the LIBA members can enjoy that same success. The greatest impact will come from those that want to help make a change. We have a great community that really comes together. I would encourage those reading the forum to consider becoming part of the LIBA movement. As Leslie stated, Julie Purcell is the best source to contact with questions.
Kurt

no avatar
User

Bill R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

Middletown

by Bill R » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:17 pm

Doogy R wrote:
carla griffin wrote:You're right Doogy it is no longer locally owned but everyone that draws a salary from it is local. Also all of the programs, festivals and non profits that we sponsor and any recipients of free advertising - which, granted, are few and far between because we are feeling the pinch like everyone else - are local.

I am not trying to pick a fight, but the same thing is said over and over about chains. They hire local people, sponsor local events, advertise in the local media, pay local taxes, but get bashed again and again by local people. So, face it, like LEO or not, it isn't local. Also, are any/all of those benefits of a chain all that bad?

Funny this reminds me of the Penn & Teller series B.S. This season they did a show about why Wal-Mart is not bad. Made some interesting points.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:49 pm

The big difference in a chain and an Independent is that 45% of the money spent in an Independent stays in the community and with a chain it is only 13%. When you support the independent you support the community, but when you support the chain you support their community. In the case of Walmart 45% of your money is going to Arkansas. The same can be said for your coffee purchase, buy from Starbucks and the money goes to Washington, buy from Heine Bros., Java Brewing Company, Derby City Espresso the money stays here.
Buying from an Independent may not always be feasible, but you should stop and think. That is what we are trying to accomplish.

If you are looking to buy a CD or DVD, check out Ear Extacy before you go to a chain.
If you are looking to buy and appliance, go to Charlie Wilson's before going to Best Buy or Circuit City

I do not have an affiliation with any of the companies I have mentioned and Charlie Wilson's is not a member of LIBA, but they are locally owned and operated.

I can appreciate the humor in a Penn and Teller, but buying local is no joke! Think of it as paying it forward and supporting the people that support you.
Kurt

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:17 pm

Kurt R. wrote:In the case of Walmart 45% of your money is going to Arkansas. The same can be said for your coffee purchase, buy from Starbucks and the money goes to Washington

And buy a newspaper (or an advertisement) from The Courier-Journal and the money goes to Alexandria, Va.
no avatar
User

Leslie Stewart

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Leslie Stewart » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:09 pm

And anyone who buys an 8-piece KFC box, A&W root beer float or a Pizza Hut stuffed cheese crust pizza send their money back to Louisville . . . funny ol' world, isn't it?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:13 pm

Leslie Stewart wrote:And anyone who buys an 8-piece KFC box, A&W root beer float or a Pizza Hut stuffed cheese crust pizza send their money back to Louisville . . . funny ol' world, isn't it?

Actually, in all these examples, when you buy from large multinational corporate entities, you are sending the money to their stockholders all over the world. It doesn't much matter where the CEO squats.

By and large, though, money spent at local companies stays in Louisville and circulates here, not just helping small business but creating a multiplier effect in the local economy. At any time, but especially in recessionary times, that's very important.
no avatar
User

Leslie Stewart

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Leslie Stewart » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:34 pm

Obviously just playing devil's advocate here - I do know the difference. But I understand why it's often confusing for the average consumer. For example, is buying a Camry built in Georgetown that much different from buying a Ford made in Louisville? Both keep thousands of Kentuckians employed; neither company is based here. I think "independent" is a more key word for marketing than "local" is, because it's hard to tell what's strictly local. There was a big "Shop Local" ad for awhile, but when you went to the website, it was nothing but Louisville locations for Targets and Applebees. This is why campaigns like Keep Louisville Weird and Louisville Originals are important.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:40 pm

Leslie Stewart wrote:For example, is buying a Camry built in Georgetown that much different from buying a Ford made in Louisville? Both keep thousands of Kentuckians employed; neither company is based here.

I see that as a different issue, Leslie, because there's no strong, local, independent auto manufacturer in Louisville or in Kentucky, so the issue of competition does not arise. I would preferentially support a local producer over a worldwide producer, and an artisan over a large corporation, where a reasonable choice exists.

Louisville Originals restaurants and LIBA members represent one strong field where this choice is easy for us. Cars, not so much.

(I drive a made-in-Japan Toyota, by the way ... )
PreviousNext