Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Leslie Stewart

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:24 pm

Re: Louisville Independent Business Alliance

by Leslie Stewart » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:59 pm

Oh, yes, it's a different issue, but as we say in the PR world, "perception is reality." A lot of people really can't tell what's locally and independently owned unless there's a sticker on the door or a banner on the website. There are some locally owned restaurants with some pretty slick looking signage in some mall-like areas otherwise proliferated by chains - I've actually avoided a few really good ones until my first, inaccurate assumptions had been deflated. The general public just needs a little education on why independent businesses are worth supporting, and on how to find them and/or tell the difference between local and independent. Again, hence the importance of said campaigns.
no avatar
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

by Ken Wilson » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:50 pm

I don't have enough information to make a knowledgeable comment about Carla's post, but I am interested in how much support among local businesses there is - as opposed to the question of how much Louisville in general keeps itself 'weird.'

I have a further, uh, discussion question (sort of like the ones at the ends of chapters in your text)... Which is the better statement - buying Jackson's coffee at Whole Foods or buying Folger's at Doll's? In other words, is buying a local product at a national provider the same as, or better than, or less significant than buying a national -or international - product at a local supplier. How about buying an international product - say, a Ted Baker shirt, at Clodhopper's vs. American Apparel at Urban Outfitter (I know, we don't have one, but imagine. And forget the AA guy is a perv)?

Talk amongst yourselves...
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:56 pm

Even if the "local" purchases a product from Procterand Gamble in the case of Folger's or a shoe from China, it is better to purchase from the Independent than to purchase from the chain, because 45% of what you spend stays in your community. We are however trying to get the business to also purchase locally, but as I have said many times in this post, that is not always an option.
There was a long posting sometime back about beer Bud vs. micro brews - If you are going to buy a bud light it is still better to buy it from lets say Charlestown Pizza Company rather than Pizza Hut.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Leslie Stewart

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:24 pm

by Leslie Stewart » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:22 pm

The first set of Keep Louisville Weird buttons - ordered from a local company - were stamped with "Made in Mexico" on the edge. How embarassing, but typical (the first Keep Austin Weird mugs had "Made in China" on the bottom). We learn by doing! :wink:
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:07 pm

I guess I'll put my money where my mouth is. Count Keg Liquors in as a new member. I have the envelope all ready to send in tomorrow.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Bill R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

Middletown

by Bill R » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:10 pm

Kurt R. wrote:The big difference in a chain and an Independent is that 45% of the money spent in an Independent stays in the community and with a chain it is only 13%. When you support the independent you support the community, but when you support the chain you support their community. In the case of Walmart 45% of your money is going to Arkansas. The same can be said for your coffee purchase, buy from Starbucks and the money goes to Washington, buy from Heine Bros., Java Brewing Company, Derby City Espresso the money stays here.
Buying from an Independent may not always be feasible, but you should stop and think. That is what we are trying to accomplish.

If you are looking to buy a CD or DVD, check out Ear Extacy before you go to a chain.
If you are looking to buy and appliance, go to Charlie Wilson's before going to Best Buy or Circuit City

I do not have an affiliation with any of the companies I have mentioned and Charlie Wilson's is not a member of LIBA, but they are locally owned and operated.

I can appreciate the humor in a Penn and Teller, but buying local is no joke! Think of it as paying it forward and supporting the people that support you.

I guess your 401k is locally based.Check it out ! You maybe getting some of Wal Marts 45%! I was just pointing i thought it was funny. Don't take your self so seriously. Buying local is great, but not everyone can afford locallism. If you can afford to go to Charlie Wilsons great ,but stop looking down your nose at those to don't.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:15 pm

Bill R wrote:
I guess your 401k is locally based.Check it out ! You maybe getting some of Wal Marts 45%! I was just pointing i thought it was funny. Don't take your self so seriously. Buying local is great, but not everyone can afford locallism. If you can afford to go to Charlie Wilsons great ,but stop looking down your nose at those to don't.

I have found that Charlie Wilson's is always less expensive than Circuit City or Best Buy. Just tell them that you bought something from them before. Instant discount.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:53 am

Bill R wrote:
Kurt R. wrote:The big difference in a chain and an Independent is that 45% of the money spent in an Independent stays in the community and with a chain it is only 13%. When you support the independent you support the community, but when you support the chain you support their community. In the case of Walmart 45% of your money is going to Arkansas. The same can be said for your coffee purchase, buy from Starbucks and the money goes to Washington, buy from Heine Bros., Java Brewing Company, Derby City Espresso the money stays here.
Buying from an Independent may not always be feasible, but you should stop and think. That is what we are trying to accomplish.

If you are looking to buy a CD or DVD, check out Ear Extacy before you go to a chain.
If you are looking to buy and appliance, go to Charlie Wilson's before going to Best Buy or Circuit City

I do not have an affiliation with any of the companies I have mentioned and Charlie Wilson's is not a member of LIBA, but they are locally owned and operated.

I can appreciate the humor in a Penn and Teller, but buying local is no joke! Think of it as paying it forward and supporting the people that support you.

Again Bill, I am not looking down on anyone who doesn't buy local, just trying to raise awareness. I have posted againa and again that local is not always feasible. Don't we owe it to the independent to at least see if it is feasible? Shouldn't we think about local support first?
Kurt

no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:58 am

Will Crawford wrote:
Bill R wrote:

I have found that Charlie Wilson's is always less expensive than Circuit City or Best Buy. Just tell them that you bought something from them before. Instant discount.

I am with Will here 100%. If you have a church membership or a AAA card they offer that same discount. Their salespeople also really know about the products they are selling.
The last refrigerator I bought about 6 months ago was $400 less at Charlie Wilson's. I checked out Sears, HH Gregg, and Best Buy. In all fairness though I did buy a big screen TV at a "Black Friday" sale two years ago at Circuit City that was $800 less than everywhere else - 3 per store. "Not always feasible."
Kurt

no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:01 am

Bill R wrote:

On a side note - "If you can afford to go to Charlie Wilsons great" - Charlie Wilson's will beat any competitor's price on the same brand and model.
Kurt

Previous