Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

New forum banner Flying Pizza!

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:03 pm

Say hello to the new pizza in the forum banner, and say thanks to Tommie Mudd of Caffe Classico for putting together a particularly photogenic Eggplant Parmesan pie for us and having the patience to let me set up tripods and photo gear to shoot it on a busy Sunday afternoon.

I hope this new pizza art is more appetizing to you than the original version, which I will now confess was a clip art shot of a {gulp} Tombstone frozen pizza. I think Caffe Classico's is much better.

On rare occasion we may swap in other pizza pictures (or even other round food) just for fun, but it's enough of a chore that I don't plan to change it often.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: New forum banner Flying Pizza!

by Ethan Ray » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:26 pm

I'm still seeing the same pizza as before...

But, i don't get it.

why a pizza? why round shaped food?

is it some sort of food UFO over Louisville?

frankly, subbing out varying images and placing 'Louisville Hot Bytes" over it seems to make more sense than pasting a pizza (or any other food for that matter) over an image of Louisville / the LHB header.

when the pizza first showed up... i thought "what the hell is this supposed to be? a pizza forum?"
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:30 pm

It's just for fun, Ethan. We're just being a little wacky over here ... Hot Bites, ya know? No harm done if it's not your style of humor. :)

If you're still getting the old pizza, though, you just need to clear your browser's cache ... your computer is holding the old image in memory, and sometimes - particularly if you're using Internet Exploder - it can be hard to clear it out so the new one will display. Try refreshing a couple of times, or just don't worry about it ... it'll probably clear when you reboot.

Ethan Ray wrote:I'm still seeing the same pizza as before...

But, i don't get it.

why a pizza? why round shaped food?

is it some sort of food UFO over Louisville?

frankly, subbing out varying images and placing 'Louisville Hot Bytes" over it seems to make more sense than pasting a pizza (or any other food for that matter) over an image of Louisville / the LHB header.

when the pizza first showed up... i thought "what the hell is this supposed to be? a pizza forum?"
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:32 pm

I think it's great. And the new pizza is a great improvement over the old frozen pizza.

Let's say you had the best crust in the world, pre-made by a pizza chef, and ready to go, at home, with a pizza stone.

What toppings would you put on?
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:36 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Let's say you had the best crust in the world, pre-made by a pizza chef, and ready to go, at home, with a pizza stone.

What toppings would you put on?

This would be a great poll idea, but I'll tell you mine. I geneally like to keep it very, very simple.

1) Plain cheese for a true NYC pie

2) Pizza Margherita (red sauce, white cheese and green fresh basil) for a true Italian pie

3) Italian sausage, peppers and onions for a "meal" pie

4) Anchovies and garlic for Friday's in Lent. ;)

Oh, heck, I like so many kinds of pizza. Mustn't forget a NYC "white" pie or "spinach white" pie, for instance. But I don't like to load it up like the kitchen sink.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:59 pm

If you look closely enough, you can see me peering out of HUM 17 viewing the spherical object in the sky. Munch, munch. Maybe a Primo's next?
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Shannon W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

by Shannon W » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:22 pm

Frequent lurker...rarely post. The new pizza looks much better. But, it still makes me a little nauseous.

It also reminds me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. :mrgreen:
"Mark that frame an eight...and you're entering a world of pain."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:39 pm

Shannon Williams wrote:It also reminds me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. :mrgreen:

You got it! Also, think "Independence Day"! :lol:
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:02 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Shannon Williams wrote:It also reminds me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. :mrgreen:

You got it! Also, think "Independence Day"! :lol:

Just as long as "THEM" don't come crawling out of it, we're cool this way :roll: Or maybe attack of the Killer Tomato? :twisted:
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:27 pm

The new pizza looks delicious!

If you ever need a new round picture, I have several of photos of cakes "floating around" my own computer.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Robin, I love the new pizza! I'm sure you wasn't expecting this to turn into a big ordeal, but since it is clearly going there...why pizza? Why not switch it up from time to time, maybe even make it a "feature" of some sort when a new food item goes up? Just a thought.
Realtor, Semonin Realtors
Selling homes in beautiful Indiana
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:53 pm

I didn't know anyone made an eggplant pizza in Louisville- it's off to Cafe Classico for me.
The new forum looks great Robin. Thanks for providing such an inviting place for all of us to visit and exchange ideas.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:10 pm

DeeDee D wrote:Robin, I love the new pizza! I'm sure you wasn't expecting this to turn into a big ordeal, but since it is clearly going there...why pizza? Why not switch it up from time to time, maybe even make it a "feature" of some sort when a new food item goes up? Just a thought.

What ya got in mind, DeeDee? A close-up of a kiwi fruit? :D

No, seriously, as I said, this floating image is just for fun (and also, ideally, to provide a background that calls attention to the forum message-search engine), and for the sake of fun, I'm willing to pop in something new and different from time to time. It's kind of a hassle to photograph it and work over the banner (thank goodness for Photoshop layers and channels!) but we'll do it at least occasionally. And suggestions are welcome, it just needs to be something round or oval that will generally fit in an approximately similar space. And food-related, although it may certainly be wacky or offbeat.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:15 pm

GaryF wrote:I didn't know anyone made an eggplant pizza in Louisville- it's off to Cafe Classico for me.
The new forum looks great Robin. Thanks for providing such an inviting place for all of us to visit and exchange ideas.

Gary, thanks. It's really not a huge change, but the software version upgrade has a lot of new stuff and a slightly new look.

Caffe Classico's pizzas seem to be a well-kept secret. I did review them in a short blurb back in June last year when Tommie introduced them, but it was underneath the Rivue preview in LEO, so I guess a lot of people missed it: Click here and page down to the end. It's actually based on a recipe he got from a guy from Sarajevo, but it's very Italian in style, thin-crust and authentic. I'd put it right up there with Primo and with the BoomBozz "Neapolitan" pie for crisp paper-thin-crust authenticity. Neapolitan authenticity, I mean, not NYC.
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Caffe Classico's pizzas seem to be a well-kept secret.

Caffe Classico does many things well. I made a mental note to check out the pizzas when it was announced he had 'em, but never did. Does he offer them at lunch and dinner?
Next