Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Eating in the burbs.

by Doogy R » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:35 pm

robert szappanos wrote:I :D think that a lot of people in the "Burbs" feel the same way.....They are not going to drive inside the Watterson to go eat.....maybe once in a while at best....

I am a burb dweller and I will drive anywhere in the Ville to get what I want. I venture way out Dixie to get the old A&W. I'll go out past Fern Creek to get good ol Bootleg BBQ. I'll drive way down Broadway for some King's fried chicken. The point being, there are a lot of people who never leave their safe little enclave, wherever it may be, then there are folks like me who will go anywhere on their quest for great food.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:15 am

Ohhh I'm with you on that Doogy! A great dining experience is worth the trek. In fact, now that the weather is getting so pretty, I think it's about time for a cruise out to Cane Run for an evening at Mike Lennings!
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mike Linnig's.

by Doogy R » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:22 am

carla griffin wrote:Ohhh I'm with you on that Doogy! A great dining experience is worth the trek. In fact, now that the weather is getting so pretty, I think it's about time for a cruise out to Cane Run for an evening at Mike Lennings!

Yes indeed, a road trip is in order. I'll probably head way down Dixie to do some hiking at Tioga Falls and the Trail of Bridges, then go back up Dixie and over to Mike's. I loves me some good fried fish and cold beer whilst sitting under the trees. After that, a casual stroll over the levee and down to the river will be in order. Ah, life is good in the Ville.

http://www.mikelinnigsrestaurant.com/
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Anywhere, anytime

by Jon K » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:42 pm

First of all, you got to love a board that mixes the words of the great Emma Goldman with talk of Mike Linnig's fried fish. I'm a suburbanite who has driven past Radcliff to explore rumors of the ultimate onion rings (sadly a false rumor). Speaking of the burbs, Mojitos is looking like it is ready to roll.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:12 pm

Same here I was in Florence today and had a wonderful steak at Longhorns.... :lol:
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Longhorns.

by Doogy R » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:49 pm

robert szappanos wrote:Same here I was in Florence today and had a wonderful steak at Longhorns.... :lol:

I know you had it well done, but what cut did you have? I am grilling in a while and I have been marinading 2 eyes of round for 2 days. I bet they'll be so tender and yummy, a nice medium rare. I am also gonna make some home fries with red onion, coarse chopped garlic and flavor it all with Red Robin seasoning and fresh ground black pepper.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:29 pm

:D It was a 10OZ T-Bone. It was tender and juicy as usual...They really can to steak right...and thats at all of the Longhorns I have been to...never a surprise never a bad meal....Just great food and a good price....had to skip the bread loaf at the begining since I am still Low Carbing it....That was real tuff....plus they have some Deep fried Cheescake that is toped with ice cream...wip cream and strawberries...the pary next to me had it and I tried not to druel to much..... :D
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Longhorn.

by Doogy R » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:01 pm

robert szappanos wrote::D It was a 10OZ T-Bone. It was tender and juicy as usual...They really can to steak right...and thats at all of the Longhorns I have been to...never a surprise never a bad meal....Just great food and a good price....had to skip the bread loaf at the begining since I am still Low Carbing it....That was real tuff....plus they have some Deep fried Cheescake that is toped with ice cream...wip cream and strawberries...the pary next to me had it and I tried not to druel to much..... :D

So glad you had a great meal at Longhorn. I get so tired of some of the board members thinking only something local is great and also somewhat dictating how a steak should be prepared. I grilled my 2 eyes of round tonight and they came out perfectly medium rare. I should've taken pix.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re:Shady Lane Cafe

by Steve Shade » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:25 am

Shady Lane was nice, too, but in all honesty, I can't call it a standout. Friendly folks and decent fare, but it doesn't really stand head and shoulders above the pack the way Karem's did.[/quote]

Went to a taping of the Secrets of Louisville Chefs Saturday and one of the chefs was Bill Smith owner/chef of Shady Lane. He turned out very nice products, but I agree that it is not really a destination place. Mostly a neighborhood place and family place. His wife and two kids 12 & 14, work at the place. Bill Smith was the first chef hired by Dean Corbett when he opened Equus and was there for a few years.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Longhorn.

by Ron Johnson » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:27 am

Doogy R wrote: I get so tired of some of the board members thinking only something local is great and also somewhat dictating how a steak should be prepared.

and I get so tired of the board members getting their panties in a wad if anyone criticizes a chain restaurant for anything whatsoever. I still cannot fathom why people take it personally if the Cheesecake Factory gets criticized. I can't understand having that type of deep emotional attachment to a corporation.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Death to chains!

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:02 pm

Amen to that.

That old saw about rooting for US Steel comes to mind.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Death to chains!

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:34 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Amen to that.

That old saw about rooting for US Steel comes to mind.

Or cops who hire on to protect scabs and bust heads on picket lines.
Last edited by Robin Garr on Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:17 pm

But the problem is Ron...It is usually 99 percent the otherway..... :D
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:25 pm

"I can't understand having that type of deep emotional attachment to a corporation."

And still no attempted answer for Ron's observation above, although elsewhere Robert heaves up the argument "if it makes money, it's good."

Others can explore the ethical slippery slope in that simplistic view.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:41 pm

robert szappanos wrote:But the problem is Ron...It is usually 99 percent the otherway..... :D

according to you the corporations have a much larger folllowing than the locals, so I am in the minority. personally, I don't give a crap, I just wish people wouldn't flip out and think I am attacking them if I say I don't like shopping malls or the baby back ribs at Chilis.
PreviousNext