Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

LOVE the Red Pepper

no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

LOVE the Red Pepper

by Caroline K » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:20 pm

I have been there several times and have always had a Splendid meal! WE oredered to go last night and had a glass of red wine at the bar while waiting and spoke with the owner whom is so SWEET! I asked for hot & spicy and she suggested the boiled chicken with veggies and it was perfect! We also had the Dragon Won Tons that are to die for...my boyfriend had the triple delight and ate very bite! really do love this place!!! :D
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: LOVE the Red Pepper

by Adrian Baldwin » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:27 pm

I almost dove in there today, but hit up the Thai Taste buffet instead........and was very disappointed.

No Pad Thai? 2-3 chicken dishes, and a couple curries. Thought it all kinda tasted the same.

Btw, what is the name of that cafe down there that boasts "Besy Philly Steak In Town"?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:34 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:No Pad Thai?

Pad Thai would be a horrible choice for a buffet. It's all about the texture contrast between soft rice noodles and crisp, just warm bean sprouts. Five minutes on a buffet, and that's history. Thai Taste makes excellent pad thai, but you have to order it made for you. I have never seen them put it on the buffet, and there's a good reason for that.

Their buffet is not large, but again, my impression is that this is because the owner and chef understand that to make buffet service work for Southeast Asian food you've got to keep it doable: Make a few dishes and make them in smallish quantities. Keep refilling them with fresh, and you'll do about as well as a buffet can.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:35 pm

Caroline K wrote:had a glass of red wine at the bar

They got their license? :D I love that place too, but I've been very disappointed at not being able to get a beer with dinner.
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Yes, they have beer and wine with some pretty decent choices...the place across the street I think is called the Coffee Cafe??? And, they do state they have the BEST Philly Cheese steak, might have to try!!
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:55 pm

I completely understand the small portion buffet premise, always bringing out fresh stuff.

But, there were two Pad-Thai-like entrees out today...........and were lackluster. Don't see what the huge difference would be in having the Pad Thai out there.

Guess I was just expecting more up front and old world flavors.
no avatar
User

Michele Melillo-Clem

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 am

East Market Street

by Michele Melillo-Clem » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:32 pm

The coffee shop/deli that boasts the best Philly steak and cheese is called Derby City Cafe. It is located where Melillo's deli originally opened across from the once upon a time Shariats.
It's the hand of the cook that expresses the heart.

Michele Melillo-Clem
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:42 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Guess I was just expecting more up front and old world flavors.

You know, no good joke remains interesting after the 10th repetition.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Adrian Baldwin wrote:Guess I was just expecting more up front and old world flavors.

You know, no good joke remains interesting after the 10th repetition.

And yet some jokes can last forever.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:41 pm

I happen to think that the Pad Thai at Thai Taste in wonderful - it's Asian comfort food! I would not want to see it on a buffet.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:48 pm

When Thai Smile used to run their annual buffet event, the Pad Thai on it was just as good as ordering it off of the menu. But when it ran, the place was so pact that it was basically a constantly emptying and constantly refreshed tray. I wish they still did it. :(