Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

Gravity Head Information

by Todd Antz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:32 pm

Based on a reply in a previous post asking for information on Gravity Head, so I thought I would help Roger out in the PR department and take a crack at this one:

Gravity Head is an annual celebration at Rich O's consisting of beer's all above 9% ABV (Alcohol by Volume). Roger works a good portion of the year securing draft versions of some of the strongest beers available to our area. Each year (This is actually the 10th anniversary) the list gets bigger and better, a testament to all the hard work Roger does for this.

Roger also posted the following for a great kick off for the event:

In celebration of the 10th anniversary, Leap Year Gravity Head beginning next Friday the 29th, NABC/Rich O’s has the unique chance of being on television, specifically, WHAS-11’s morning show, which is live from 5 a.m. to 7 a.m. A photographer and reporter would be there throughout, and would do a one to two minute live segment every half hour for a total of four times.

I mentioned this the other night and some of the evening regulars began conspiring to participate in a special Gravity Head tailgate breakfast party, to be grilled outside and consumed indoors along with, er, plenty of “coffee” (we can’t legally serve beer before seven), but bring the right type of coffee cups, and …

There’d also be a segment of the brewers brewing and us setting up the Gravity Head crime scene.

Ideas? Interest? It could be fun as a one-off deal, and also might establish a whole new (and virulent) holiday tradition. Big thanks go to Tim, Neve, Jason and the others who hopped right on the idea.

Let me know what you think. Can you be at the pub at 5:00 a.m.?

The spot for the best information on the event is Roger Baylor's Potable Curmudgeon Blog for up to date lists of what is on tap during the event. It has been a bit since he has done a Gravity Head update, but this link has his last update for the schedules, beers, etc

http://potablecurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2 ... pdate.html
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

Re: Gravity Head Information

by Shawn Vest » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:15 pm

gravity head deserves a cab or a designated driver

exercise caution
these are not your average beers
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:23 pm

Todd Antz wrote:
There’d also be a segment of the brewers brewing and us setting up the Gravity Head crime scene.

Ideas? Interest? It could be fun as a one-off deal, and also might establish a whole new (and virulent) holiday tradition. Big thanks go to Tim, Neve, Jason and the others who hopped right on the idea.

Crime Scene?

oh wait...i just got it. nevermind.

i like the inadvertent (or was it?) pun with the choice of wording: "hopped right on the idea".
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:23 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:gravity head deserves a cab or a designated driver

exercise caution
these are not your average beers

seriously.

What Shawn says is no f'ing joke.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

Richard Rush

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:36 am

by Richard Rush » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:51 pm

I don't normally get up that early, but that could be fun.
User

thommy browne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:21 pm

Louisville

by thommy browne » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:30 pm

I'm really looking forward to this again. Going to stick with all of the American made beers this year.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:43 am

roger just released the starting line up
wow
a new record of "never before seen beers"

and he's giving us the chance to vote for the final member of the draft line up

can't wait
hope everyone gets up early on friday for the tailgating festivities

shawn

heard Matt from Derby City Espresso may come by
if you're lucky he'll bring some coffee (or espresso stout)
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:26 pm

Oh, lord...let me apologize in advance. Beginning with saying: I haven't done a full internet research session on this yet. So please forgive, but....my boyfriend and I are very interested in Gravity Head, to the point where we are trying to nail down a night to take off work and a way to get there and back without driving. Probably it's just because it's the weekend and I'm burnt from a busy week, but... I honestly haven't been able to figure out what the deal is with the "Gravity Head" weekend. Is it just these really good beers on tap and available for sale? Is it a tasting? Is it a discounted flight of beer? I'm just not sure exactly what we're going to be faced with, is all. It sounds like it'll be worth our time and effort no matter what. And yes, I did click on the links provided thus far in this thread, but I'm willing to admit I might have missed something really obvious, so...apologies in advance.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:44 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Oh, lord...let me apologize in advance. Beginning with saying: I haven't done a full internet research session on this yet. So please forgive, but....my boyfriend and I are very interested in Gravity Head, to the point where we are trying to nail down a night to take off work and a way to get there and back without driving. Probably it's just because it's the weekend and I'm burnt from a busy week, but... I honestly haven't been able to figure out what the deal is with the "Gravity Head" weekend. Is it just these really good beers on tap and available for sale? Is it a tasting? Is it a discounted flight of beer? I'm just not sure exactly what we're going to be faced with, is all. It sounds like it'll be worth our time and effort no matter what. And yes, I did click on the links provided thus far in this thread, but I'm willing to admit I might have missed something really obvious, so...apologies in advance.

Marsha,

No need to apologize. The best way to describe it that they are all higher in alcohol than the common variety beer, and even strong by comparison to what most good beer places carry. They are usually pretty difficult beers to find period, but to then find them all on tap at one time is extremely rate. The high alcohol levels also is the reason that people are suggested to find alternative transportation home after a night at Gravity Head. Also, Gravity Head lasts longer than just this weekend, it will last far into March based on the total number of different beers Roger was able to procure. Opening weekend is unique in the way that opening day of baseball is unique. Sure you have plenty of time to get through the season, but it is always great to be there when it starts!
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
User

Ned Weatherby

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 pm

LaGrange

by Ned Weatherby » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:50 pm

Okay sound like a fun time but have to work on Friday. When is the event ending? Thanks
Good Eats
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:47 am

Thanks for the info, Todd. I think I've been under the misconception that you pay one price to sample all those great beers, but it sounds like you just go to Rich O's and order them one at a time and pay regular prices for them. I guess I got it mixed up with another beer event.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:08 am

Marsha L. wrote:Thanks for the info, Todd. I think I've been under the misconception that you pay one price to sample all those great beers, but it sounds like you just go to Rich O's and order them one at a time and pay regular prices for them. I guess I got it mixed up with another beer event.

There is a much broader pricing structure for Gravity Head. You can get a small, 3-4 oz., sample all the way up to a full serving. Serving size is dependent on Gravity (strength). If you have never attended don't go on opening weekend, it is a madhouse. I'd recommend mid-week and arrive early for a good seat. I always enjoyed going with a group of friends, have each friend order their best choice, no duplication allowed on the first round, and share. If NABC is busy, order two rounds at a time and get your food order in before beer.

Bring a DD and enjoy.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:57 am

Thanks to Todd and everyone. I was crazy busy the last couple of days and didn't get much computer time.

With luck, I'll have the program available as .pdf by tomorrow and will drop back in to provide a link.

Dave's right about opening weekend. If you'd like to sample, a weeknight is better.

Back tomorrow.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:37 pm

i concur
first weekend festivities are CRAAAAZZZY

come on monday or tuesday and relax a little while you enjoy these beers

if you go this weekend
be patient and be kind

shawn
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Pre-Gravity Head Event Monday Night

by Scott_Shreffler » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:46 pm

For those who are interested, Roger and I have put together a sort of pre-Gravity Head meet and greet with Dan Kopman and Stephen Hale from Schlafly Beer. They will be in town to meet with some folks to select the barrels for our next years worth of bourbon barrels. So, in honor of that, we will be tasting the 2006 and 2007 vintages of Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout. Roger is also bringing in a keg of our newest release, an 8% ABV Irish-Style Extra Stout. There will be munchies aplenty as well. So, come on out, the festivities begin around 7 o'clock Monday night (The 25th of February) Hope to see you all there.

Scott Shreffler
Schlafly Beer
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Next