Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Orlando area resturant jobs

no avatar
User

Bradley C. Pearce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:41 pm

Louisville, Ky

Orlando area resturant jobs

by Bradley C. Pearce » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:24 pm

I will be moving to the Orlando area here in the near future. Does anybody know of any independently owned & operated upscale/fine dining resturnats that would be worth checking out job wise? I know about 'Le Coq Au Vin' but thats about it. Most places down there seem to be corporate or geared twords tourist (not my thing). Also, if anyone knows of any websites that would help me understand the Orlando dining scene a little better would be greatly appreciated. Respectfully, Brad P.
no avatar
User

Kelly Lehman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:41 pm

Germantown

Re: Orlando area resturant jobs

by Kelly Lehman » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:10 pm

I wish you luck. I moved from Orlando to Chicago around 2002 2003, and there didn't seem to be a whole lot of "fine dining" restaurants that weren't attatched to the major theme parks. That may be a way to go if that's the market niche you're trying to work in.

However one of my favorite restaurants was a small independent italian place called "Limoncello" whether it still exits I don't know. Try driving around the Winter Park neighborhood, and check out the Orlando Weekly (thier version of the LEO) to find out where things are happening.

Travel Safe
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:48 pm

If you do decide to give the ones attached to theme parks a try, I respectfully suggest either Victoria and Albert's at the WDW Grand Floridian or California Grill at the WDW Contemporary. I know it's not what you're looking for, but those are my top 2 restaurants at WDW, and unfortunately I have no experience in Orlando off of WDW property.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:16 pm

Quite a few of the International Restaurants in Epcot are quite a upscale and working for Disney also have some nice perks. As mentioned elsewhere the majority of restaurants in the Orlando area are chain's but Winter Park have quite a collection of eclectic upscale establishments. There also are a few in the Windermere area.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

by Melissa Richards-Person » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:16 am

Actually, once you get north of OBT, the restaurants really are not geared nearly as much toward tourists. Stop by and talk to my friends Tim Varan and Steve Butler at Tim's Wine Market on North Orange Ave, across from Lake Ivanhoe (north of Downtown). Tim and Steve know a ton about what's happening "Behind the scenes" in dining in the area, as they have been a small, independent, thriving wine shop for more than 12 years. Tim started in the wine biz as a restaurant waiter, so he comes by it naturally. Let them know what you are trying to do and I'm sure they will point you in a couple directions.

There is also, I believe, an ACF chapter in the area (my ex-husband was a member), but that IS heavily influenced by the theme parks. As others have mentioned, Winter Park is a good bet to find some locally owned places, but College Park is also an option. Also noted by others, while theme parks are not always the most legit places for Dining, Disney does have some really high-quality restaurants, like the afore-mentioned California Grill, but also Jiko, Victoria & Alberts and the place at Wilderness Lodge (I forgot the name). And there, you do get health insurance and some other benefits that other places can't provide. Just a thought....

Personally, I loved Orlando and lived there for 8 years. Safe travels and good luck
no avatar
User

Bradley C. Pearce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, Ky

by Bradley C. Pearce » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:23 am

Thanks for the replies. However, theres no way in H-E-double hockey stick that I'll work for WDW or any other theme park for that matter. Ideally, I'd like to find a place that gives their chefs more culinary freedom(easier said than done). It never has & never will be about the money/perks(not the industry to be in if your money hungry). All I care about is creating kick a** food! Hopefully this is all a blessing in disguise; as myself and the Mrs.(who doubles as a pastry chef) are looking to do our own thing once we get situated down there & back on our feet. As it is my goal to bring offals' to the forefront of american cuisine. But reguardless, I do appreciate the info people have given me thus far.
no avatar
User

Kelly Lehman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:41 pm

Germantown

by Kelly Lehman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:51 am

Hey there Brad, I believe I work with your "Missus" at Z's! Right or wrong??? The suggestion about Tim's Wine Market is a great one. They are a wonderful couple of guys and definitely have their ears to the ground about what's going on around town.

Another suggestion, the town is ripe for the "Personal Chef" gig if you're looking to get your feet wet while you're finding your way around town. You might be able to post something at Lombardi's Seafood Market and get a couple of clients to start while you're finding your dream restaurant. I'd check out the guys at Lemoncello, they really seemed to be an honest hardworking bunch. Check out a couple of restaurants on Park Avenue and see what you think. The farmer's market is there as well, but it's very "produce off the back of a truck" if you know what I mean. You can find the same thing at any Albertsons.

Best of Luck!
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Aaron Newton » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:44 am

Bradley C. Pearce wrote:Thanks for the replies. However, theres no way in H-E-double hockey stick that I'll work for WDW or any other theme park for that matter. Ideally, I'd like to find a place that gives their chefs more culinary freedom(easier said than done). It never has & never will be about the money/perks(not the industry to be in if your money hungry). All I care about is creating kick a** food! Hopefully this is all a blessing in disguise; as myself and the Mrs.(who doubles as a pastry chef) are looking to do our own thing once we get situated down there & back on our feet. As it is my goal to bring offals' to the forefront of american cuisine. But reguardless, I do appreciate the info people have given me thus far.

While I understand your concern about becoming part of what you perceive as a big corporate machine, I think you are selling some of the restaurants at Disney very short just because it's part of a 'theme park' (actually the ones named specifically aren't part of the theme parks, they are located at resort hotels, but that may be picking nits). The menu at California Grill, just for example, changes their menus weekly, constantly rotating in new and exciting dishes. I certainly wish you luck in your own endeavors, of course.
no avatar
User

Bradley C. Pearce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, Ky

by Bradley C. Pearce » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:41 pm

[quote="KellyBludog"]Hey there Brad, I believe I work with your "Missus" at Z's! Right or wrong??? The suggestion about Tim's Wine Market is a great one. They are a wonderful couple of guys and definitely have their ears to the ground about what's going on around town.

You sure do :wink: Thanks a ton for the info & I'll be sure to check those places out.
no avatar
User

Bradley C. Pearce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, Ky

by Bradley C. Pearce » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:02 pm

While I understand your concern about becoming part of what you perceive as a big corporate machine, I think you are selling some of the restaurants at Disney very short just because it's part of a 'theme park' (actually the ones named specifically aren't part of the theme parks, they are located at resort hotels, but that may be picking nits). The menu at California Grill, just for example, changes their menus weekly, constantly rotating in new and exciting dishes. I certainly wish you luck in your own endeavors, of course.[/quote]

Aaron, I probably am selling WDW pretty short. I understand there is alot more to WDW than Magic Kindom & Epcot. I just had visions of snot-nosed kids w/mouse ears on, running rampant throughout the dining room :shock: . I have no probs working in a hotel. I guess I was under the impression that places like the California Grill were part of that whole Epcot 'round the world' thing. But this is why I posted the question; as I know absolutely zero about Orlando & the adjacent boroughs.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Aaron Newton » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:53 pm

Bradley C. Pearce wrote:Aaron, I probably am selling WDW pretty short. I understand there is alot more to WDW than Magic Kindom & Epcot. I just had visions of snot-nosed kids w/mouse ears on, running rampant throughout the dining room :shock: . I have no probs working in a hotel. I guess I was under the impression that places like the California Grill were part of that whole Epcot 'round the world' thing. But this is why I posted the question; as I know absolutely zero about Orlando & the adjacent boroughs.

In that case I recommend Victoria and Alberts even more. They recently instituted a "no children under 10" rule. :D