Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

LEO/LHB: We bring the heat in icy February

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:47 am

LEO's Eats with Louisville HotBytes
(Sitar Indian Cuisine, Turkey Joe's)

It's cold. Too darn cold. Ice-on-the-sidewalk, snow-on-the-roof bone-chattering cold, and I don't like it one bit. April and its green leaves and balmy breezes can't come too soon for me.

In the meantime, when it comes time to warm the inner man, I look for something hot and spicy to sear my palate and warm my soul. Happily, my need for heat was amply rewarded by the recent opening of Sitar Indian Cuisine in the Highlands, which follows the December arrival of Royal India in St. Matthews as Louisville's second very good new Indian restaurant in recent months.

Sitar, named after the Indian stringed musical instrument that Ravi Shankar and the Beatles made famous, is the first Louisville property for a tiny chain with four properties in Tennessee and one in Alabama. Sitar offers a hearty Indian lunch buffet daily for $6.99 cheap, and an expansive Indian menu that includes both standard Northern Indian dishes and, on a separate sheet titled "Dosa Hut," less familiar South Indian specialties.

Sitar Indian Cuisine
1702 Bardstown Road
473-8889
Robin Garr's rating: 86 points

Turkey Joe's
2809 N. Hurstbourne Parkway
327-9464
http://www.turkeyjoes.com
Robin Garr's rating: 76 points

Full reports in LEO and on LouisvilleHotBytes.
no avatar
User

BrianW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Behind Enemy Lines in the 9th District

Re: LEO/LHB: We bring the heat in icy February

by BrianW » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:57 pm

My wife and I visited [b]TJ[/b] last Friday night after much debate on which untried place on our list to visit. To sum it up, I don't know that we'll go back as our food was not as good as your experience writtten here.

We had several things that were just odd and a few that were not good: the cheese fries we had ordered to start with came out just a few moments before the rest of the food, that wasn't off-putting to me though as whatever the 'white cheese' they use was not appetizing (to us), we ate only the uncovered fries; my wife's fried turkey dinner (two thin slices, maybe four ounces) was kinda dry but really was just bland; she didn't care as much as I did, so nothing was said. I personally think fried turkey meat should have abundant flavoring throughout via injections, didn't notice ANY flavoring here; the 18 wing order (three sauces) was not correct the first time (fixed within about five minutes, no big deal). Since sauces for wings are subjective I'll only say that they weren't remarkable for me.

Now to the good points: generally attentive but laid-back service, comfortable surroundings, good view of TVs from most any seat, and the orders did not take unsually long to come up. I'd like to think I'll go back to get more wings (my favorite indulgence), especially since you wrote about your offerings being covered in sauce (mine were thinly coated at best) and maybe to try the sandwiches which others had and looked good. It's near my wife's work and not inconvenient but I don't know if we'll go back, probably leave it up to her (but I'll mention other places we're still to try).

My findings, mileage for others can vary.

Brian W
Liberalism is a 'no brainer'.