Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Kosher wine

User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Kosher wine

by Heather Y » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:38 am

Marty Rosen wrote an article in today's C-J about Kosher Wine.
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... /703300316

These wines have gone Far beyond the days of concord grape.... but in Israel those days have been long gone. Kosher Wines are being consumed all the time, everyday in Israel. There are those that go beyond Kosher during the time of Passover. Everyday more vintners are "cropping" up in Israel.

The volcanic soil in parts of Israel make for some of the best wines in the world.
There are also a lot of boutique wineries that are producing some yummy Cabs, Shiraz, merlot, Petit Syrah, gamay noir (yum) etc.

Baron De Rothschild was the founder of the Israeli wine movement.
For the holiday of Passover....
We are going to enjoy a Yarden Mount Hermon white 2003 that I brought from Israel in October. We won't be eating the traditional meat for the holiday so we will have white wine. If we were, I would enjoy opening the Yarden Mount Hermon red 2003.

http://www.golanwines.co.il

Everyone can drink Kosher wine, you do not have to keep Kosher to enjoy these wines. The only problem is that are only slowly being brought to Louisville. Go to your favorite distributor and ask them to bring to the ville some wines from wineries like: Recanati, Yarden (been around for a while) Tishbi, Kinneret, these are wines that would be most recognized by outsiders... but locals will tell you about the fabulous boutiques wines.

I would also like to recommend a favorite California Kosher Cab from Covenant winery in St. Helena, Ca.
http://www.covenantwines.com
This website explains the history of wine in ancient times, and briefly touches upon the "mevushal" process (which to me is like Manischewitz) meaning no disprespect to the observant of course.

Thanks!

Enjoy!
L'chaim!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Kosher wine

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:51 am

Heather Y wrote:Kosher Wine

For a little more detailed information on this subject, here's a link to a <I>30 Second Wine Advisor</i> article that I wrote in 2002. All of the six wines featured were then available in Louisville, and at least the larger stores (Old Town, Liquor Barn) carry at least some selection.

Passover and Kosher wine
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

Kosher wine

by Heather Y » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:02 am

Thanks Robin,
I knew I could count on you!

Buono Appetito!
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

And don't forget

by Jon K » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:14 pm

Heather, don't forget our friends at Barkan vineyards. Their "Classic" label cabernet is available in town and is still mighty fine. Their Reserve is even better, but I haven't seen it lately. Their Reserve chardonnay is also good IMO. So, let's do some cross-cultural exchange and ask the members of the board what they are cooking for Easter dinner or Passover.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

Kosher wine

by Heather Y » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:07 pm

No Jon, I have not forgot Barkan, I still love it. Jerry Rogers over at Party Mart carries it. Marty I think mentioned it in his article and that is why I left it out!

Yes , I would love to know what our forum friends are preparing for Holiday meals.

I for one, am going to do a Moroccan fish this year, with the tradtional sides of Potato, zuchini, carrot kugel and ritual foods i.e. Charoset of nuts fruit, and wine. Going to Meridian to pick up the best asparagus on the planet! I am thinking about using it in my Matzoh ball soup! Or maybe hiding a puree of asparagus inside the matzoh ball! I get tricky like that!

Then for dessert (even trickier), an Italian ricotta cheesecake with a Macaroon crust! and some sort of fruit to accompany (have not decided yet). All kosher for Passover!! UUMMM UUMMM!

You know, come to think of it.... we had a get together at your house during Passover many years ago, and Laura made a flourless chocolate torte... everytime I see that description somewhere... I think of Laura.
See how holidays, and food create memories!! ahhh .. there is nothing like it!

Hag Sameach!
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:34 pm

Whoe Foods makes wonderful gefilte fish. I was there today and they said they will start putting out their Passover foods tomorrow (3/31).