Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

La Rosita Fat & Happy

no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

La Rosita Fat & Happy

by Tom Holstein » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:17 pm

Following Robin's review of Cheap Eats in mid January, I decided to try La Rosita East Market New Albany location. After a few trips for lunches and one dinner I can no longer remain silent.

La Rosita's dishes out the finest Mexican food that I've ever had.........bar none. Each visit we started off with the three spicy salsitas from squeeze bottles, as Robin detailed, along with crisp, fresh tortilla chips. I could make a meal of these and a Negra Modelo or two.

Speaking of cheap eats a fast lunch one day consisted of an a la carte Tostadas de Ceviche and side of refrieds setting me back $4.49. A six inch crispy tortilla was loaded with very fine chopped white fish and pico de gallo, marinated in lime and topped with three small slices of avocado and stripes of a dark hot sauce. Outstanding taste and value.

Another less hurried lunch consisted of The Grilled Veggie Grande Quesadilla that was Huge. A 12 inch flour stuffed to overload with grilled mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, fresh cilantro, sour cream and white crumbled cheese. The layers of flavors were surprising to my meat needing self. It provided two round tummies. A side of refried beans were a light pink and delicious.

Israel Landin suggested my love for seafood would be well served with his Empapelados. Our next visit I followed Israel's advice and nearly popped a button. Three large Tilapia fillets, tender pink shrimp, a few dots of salty bacon, onions, mushrooms and enough molten cheese to thicken the sauce produced by steaming in a foil wrapper. I ordered mine A La Diabla style (Spicy Hot). I'd call it a medium for the wary....just about right for the delicate flavored Tilapia. Best "fish in a bag" I've ever had the pleasure of. It's clear Chef Israel knows flavor balance and layering.

My Buddy, Gina ordered her favorite Mexican dish a burrito. She opted for the La Rosita Burrito. Out comes this burrito that looked like a catchers mitt. Not to paint a bad picture...just Very Big! She chose shredded beef which was accompanied by rice, lettuce, black beans, tomato, onion, cheese, cilantro and sour cream wrapped in a fresh flour. It was really plated well, sliced diagonally. She's equally impressed. I had the pleasure of finishing it for a snack and a lunch.

Service during each visit was very prompt and polite. Servers helped us understand the menu and offered welcome advice about dish contents. We met Israel's wife/teammate Lidia during our last visit. She, like Israel is very friendly and even helped me with a bit of Spanish to praise their efforts.

Gina and I look forward to many more round tummies while "watchin' the wallet".
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Re: La Rosita Fat & Happy

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:15 pm

Tom

Rosita's Market Street location is three blocks from our home, and the newer taqueria is just across Grantline Road from Rich O's.

You see the nature of my problem: How to regulate visits when the enticements are so close?

Good review. Here in NA, we're very proud of Rosita's and the Landins.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Tom Holstein » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Tom

Rosita's Market Street location is three blocks from our home, and the newer taqueria is just across Grantline Road from Rich O's.

You see the nature of my problem: How to regulate visits when the enticements are so close?

We're 10 minutes from either..........Viva SunnySide
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:27 pm

i've heard a rumor of a la rosita coming to charlestown, is this true??

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:19 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Tom

I was happy to see the Grantline location open. I missed the old C-town road model. The downtown location is off my beaten path and required planning to visit.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:05 pm

Hey Tom - long time no see!! Sounds like a hot date for the four of us one weekend! I can drag Mike across the bridge if food (& yours & Gina's company) is involved. Excellent review - not fair of you to leave me sitting here hungry and stuck at my desk at 3 in the afternoon.

Big hugs -

Michele
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Tom Holstein » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:14 pm

Michele Janosek wrote:Hey Tom - long time no see!! Sounds like a hot date for the four of us one weekend! I can drag Mike across the bridge if food (& yours & Gina's company) is involved. Excellent review - not fair of you to leave me sitting here hungry and stuck at my desk at 3 in the afternoon.

Big hugs -

Michele

Ouh........Please don't hold it against me Ms. Michele. I'd sent ya sumpin' to snack on had I known. :oops:
Let's gear up and hurt La Rosita's soon.
T
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:26 pm

I love this place even though they keep denying me potato empanadas.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.